Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite '30s and '40s photos?

Los Angeles
Broadway at 7th Street looking North. To the left is Bullocks Department Store and across the street on the right (building with arched windows) is Clifton's Cafeteria, an LA icon for decades.

L.A.-downtown-1930s-resize.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another picture of Clifton's in the '40s that I found a while ago:
42-64875315.jpg
Not too long ago they restored the exterior to its 1930s-40s appearance but now It's a nightclub. When I was a kid we would have lunch at Clifton's when my Mom went shopping in Downtown LA. No trip Downtown was complete without eating at Clifton's! I have fond memories of Clifton's Treasure Tray, forerunner of the Happy Meal.

My thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, but to Swing Girl in particular for these links:

...Here are the links to a couple more online '40s photo collections I've found, if anyone is interested:

If you like old cars, this one is great: https://vintagenewsdaily.com/49-sna...g-ladies-posing-with-their-cars-in-the-1940s/

Being members of the Fedora Lounge, these photos probably won't "make you see the 1940s differently," but they're still fun: https://inktank.fi/cool-1940s/

The photos therein remind me very much of photos taken when my mom and dad were young, dating, early in their marriage, and so on, that they had compiled in a single photo album. Sadly that album disappeared years ago when my addict/alcoholic sister got her hands on it, so I have no idea where it went; a bit of family history probably lost forever.

Swing Girl

New in Town
My thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, but to Swing Girl in particular for these links:

The photos therein remind me very much of photos taken when my mom and dad were young, dating, early in their marriage, and so on, that they had compiled in a single photo album. Sadly that album disappeared years ago when my addict/alcoholic sister got her hands on it, so I have no idea where it went; a bit of family history probably lost forever.
I'm glad you like the links! That's too bad about your photo album.

I'd like to thank everyone for all the photos, too. They're all lovely!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Here's a few photos of London taken mostly between the two world wars:
London 1.jpg
Shoe shine was quite a common site when I was a boy.
London 2.jpg
Schoolchildren outside St Pancras Station. Today, St Pancras is the international terminus for the trains that run through the channel tunnel.
London 3.jpg
An attorney in full lawyer's attire, probably heading back to the law courts.
london 4.jpg
This is Victoria Station, where international train journey's once started from, including the famous: "Orient Express."
London 5.jpg
1930's glamour.
London 6.jpg
Tower Bridge, so called, not because it has two towers that house the lifting mechanism but because it's near The Tower of London.
London 7.jpg
A London street scene.
London 8.jpg
Two young ladies making good use of a porter's sack barrow, on a station platform.
London 9.jpg
Partner dancing was very popular back in the day. Many a relationship started with: "that dance."
portobello market.jpg
My mother and father with me, at London's Portobello street market. Dad is wearing his demob suit, many years later I had a replica made.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Your dad wears a smile that says it all. A vet back from the war with his family. Fantastic pix!:D
Suit looks great.
Thank you, you're too kind. When my wife was a young woman her mother still wore the fashions of her youth, including her underwear. I wouldn't be so naughty as to show you my mother-in-law in her unmentionables. But her daughter used to say: "Mother, you can't possibly be comfortable wearing a corset."
Fast forward to the time that we got into heritage and my wife is wearing corsets. This wonderful photo encapsulate 1930's femininity:
London recession-fashion-1930sb.jpg

Here's a fabulous photo, taken in the 1930's of Paramount Pictures leading lady, Claudette Colbert.
London Claudette-Colbert2.jpg

Also in 1930's vogue is Joan Crawford:
London joan-crawford-.jpg

That photo of ladies undies was among a number of photos that featured similar items, like these seamed stockings.
London 1930s-shoe-fashions.jpg

But what really caught my eye in that picture was the ladies shoes.
Look at my wife's shoes in this photo:
shake and stir tango.jpg

Last edited:
^ It's funny that I've never seen mention of it in any "rule" books from the 30s-40s, but it seems to have been mandatory for women to show at least a little bare leg in any photos they posed for. Not that I'm complaining... :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well, those "farmer's daughter" jokes had to start somewhere, didn't they? :D
Farmer's daughter, I'm going to tell her that. On the subject of re-enacting, here in the UK we have a number of what we call: "Heritage Railways." Formerly part of the rail network, now taken over by volunteers, following closure. One such line is The Great Central Railway. Every year they put on a weekend festival that they call: "War on the Line." It's an event that draws many a re-enactor, mostly in military uniform. But there are those who dress like their parents and grandparents.

One of the stations has a house that was once the occupancy of the station master. It stands, preserved in aspic, looking exactly like it would have done back in the day. Right down to the paint and wallpaper.

camera 6 193.JPG camera 6 194.JPG camera 6 195.JPG camera 6 196.JPG camera 6 197.JPG camera 6 198.JPG camera 6 199.JPG camera 6 200.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ