FDR's Japanese Concentration Camps (jacket content)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by feltfan, Feb 3, 2019.

1. feltfan

feltfan My Mail is Forwarded Here

navetsea, Cornelius and Edward like this.
  2. willyto

willyto One Too Many

A very sad picture and reminder of the sad history of japanese in the US but with tree fantastic leather jackets and cool hats by the men in the family.

It's a very famous picture that is shared from time to time because of the father's leather jacket and the little kid. You can barely see the other cross zip of the big boy but it seems to be the same as the father.

I'm asuming they're a family though.

That's basically how I wear my leather jackets, dress trousers with shirt and tie and a flat cap or hat.

Edward likes this.
  3. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Ansel Adams also did extensive documentation of the Manzanar camp (though there aren't necessarily any good jacket pictures):

https://www.loc.gov/collections/ansel-adams-manzanar/

A shameful episode in American history, a reminder that for all our idealistic rhetoric, we make BIG mistakes.

Cornelius likes this.
  4. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

Roger Daniels' 'Asian America: Chinese and Japanese in the United States since 1850' is a seminal text on these (and other) events. Worthwhile reading.

feltfan and dannyk like this.
  5. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

Specifically in the case of the internment of Japanese Americans, whilst it is shameful, let's not get some context.
    A couple of Japanese Americans attempted to assist downed Japanese airman at Pearl Harbor, an action which no doubt impacted on determining whether Japanese Americans primarily identified as Japanese rather than American.
    And let's not forget how the Japanese treated its citizens of the empire- genocide. It makes internment look very benign.
    I guess the difference is that we are ashamed of internment, the Japanese still deny genocide.

SimonR and Woodtroll like this.
  6. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

The jacket in the photo, who (non-Japanese makes) offers it these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. David57

David57 New in Town

Issei and Nisei The internment years by Daisuke Kitagawa, is a good read.

8. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

The Terror 2nd season also showed some jackets and all around period clothes FL would thumbs up I imagine.

9. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

The main character Chester always had some interesting half belt on or a wool/leather combo thing happening.