Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feathered fed?

brothelcreeper

Familiar Face
Gents,

This is my first post having got into classic style recently. I've got a couple of lids, and each time I bought one, I was offered a feather. As they were free, I thought 'Why not?'. I haven't worn any out as of yet, my girlfriend says she really doesn't like them.

Anyway, what's everyone's view on the matter? Do you ever wear them? Any specific occasions or conditions in which you decide to don a feather?

m0nk

One Too Many
Gents,

This is my first post having got into classic style recently. I've got a couple of lids, and each time I bought one, I was offered a feather. As they were free, I thought 'Why not?'. I haven't worn any out as of yet, my girlfriend says she really doesn't like them.

Anyway, what's everyone's view on the matter? Do you ever wear them? Any specific occasions or conditions in which you decide to don a feather?
I had a feather included on one hat and promptly removed it. Every other hat I've purchased since then has been feather-free.

barrowjh

One Too Many
this has been discussed in other threads, and there are strong opinions. Generally, I don't want the 'pheather' look, but every now and then I bump into a hat where the feather looks right. Here is the only hat in my collection where I tolerate it - a light color Disney w/Cav edge, navy ribbon, and the feather seems to go ok with this hat.

HighPointJHBgene.jpg

that pic from one of the fedorafest events at Highpoint in Monteagle, TN.

Most of my collection is pheather phree, as in this pic of a group of cav edges
062908010.jpg

edited to finish my line of thought - I think most feathers on hats are 'forced' - a bad marriage at best, like adding chrome mud-flaps to ruin the look of an otherwise nice street rod.

Last edited:

brothelcreeper

Familiar Face
this has been discussed in other threads, and there are strong opinions. Generally, I don't want the 'pheather' look, but every now and then I bump into a hat where the feather looks right. Here is the only hat in my collection where I tolerate it - a light color Disney w/Cav edge, navy ribbon, and the feather seems to go ok with this hat.

HighPointJHBgene.jpg

You're right, the feather slots in seamlessly with that lid (especially with the shirt). I agree it can look forced and I guess that's why I haven't done it as yet. Everyday I think about it, ever second day I even pop one in to see, but I've never taken them out the front door.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Mr Paladin (a member who I haven't seen in a while: Wade where are you?) said this to me once when I asked him about his view on this particular subjects:

"Feathers are for dusters" I go by that motto, now. :D

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
I think, a fine feather is a nice decoration, old or young age are not the problem.
It gives your hat your own note. Also a nice Hat pin, without feather or in combine with that.
Wide or short brim, you wear the Hat or wear the Hat you?
Is like having a good tie, tie pin with or without. The personel note.

wear22.jpg

Edward

Bartender
No strong feelings about them. My first furfelt, a Biltmore for Miller.com, came with one that I never put in it; my Akubra Rap (pork pie) came with one in it - wore it inthere for a bit, then stopped. Not something I have a big dislike of or anything, just not wild about it either. If I'm going to wear something in my hat ribbon, I'm more inclined towards an Ace of Spades or a Jack of Hearts, depending upon mood.

brothelcreeper

Familiar Face
Haha, I like the card idea. Now I'm ticking a list in my head of items in my house and whether they would fit into a hat band.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I might wear one in a black hat, to liven up the dark quality of it. But I've never kept the feathers that came in any of my factory hats. Oh, I've left in the feather that came in my Resistol Kitten Finish, but I don't wear that hat as often as many others.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adamlongroyal1.jpg
dejavucomp-1.jpg

I always liked the patriotic color scheme goin' here.-------------------------------------------- Wore this 'un hiking/camping...not to everyones taste.

dobbshat.jpg
dobbs19451.jpg

I have a Rainbow too, and it came with a 'tied fly'. Mine had gone missing, but I replaced it with another.
Likewise with the gamebird

zootsuithat.jpg
lion1.jpg

No. :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR