Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed IV and reverse taper

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Well my Fed IV Deluxe in Moonstone arrived :) :) and I'm very pleased with it. As I've carefully stayed away from the Indy look with my other hats, I thought why not give it a go with this one. So here's the pictures of my attempt, and interestingly I found that the hat seems to have developed some of the legendary reverse taper as a result.

1) As it arrived out of the box:

DSC00401.jpg

2) From the front after my efforts:

DSC00402.jpg

3) From the side, note the reverse taper visible now:

DSC00403.jpg

4) From above:

DSC00404.jpg

5) On me noggin:

DSC00405.jpg

Interestingly I didn't have to use steam or water at any point - even the front brim which needed to be bent down a long way eventually held the position after several attempts.

N. :)

Edward

Bartender
Great looking hat.... I fancy one of these myself when I have the money; probably gonig to attempt something of a Maltese Falcon bash.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Thanks Edward - I can now highly recommend it as a brilliant hat to work with, it just keeps whatever shape you ask of it.

I have a Stylemaster in Acorn and I do like it (it is a dressier hat than the Fed) but it has two drawbacks for me. One is that it is pre-shaped and therefore has some difficulty to remove creases completely (not as bad as the DP Indy hat mind you), two is that the crown is a bit low for my liking. But I still say that's a great hat too.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
As good as that Penman looked on you maybe you should just get the same thing but gray!
Thanks Indy, I would LOVE to have a Gray Penman. Maybe a birthday present this summer.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Apparently with the Fed IV (I read on another thread) the smaller the size the less the taper becomes, becoming reverse taper on very small sizes. Do you have a small head size by any chance?

nickn5

One of the Regulars
I wish I did have a small head at the moment as all the best Ebay deals are on 6 7/8 hats, but no, my size is between 7 1/8 and 7 1/4, so medium I suppose. I found after advice from COW that the centre crease was too deep, I've now made it shallower which has also reduced the reverse taper effect but also reduced side taper which is good.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Smaller headsizes would be better. If I had a size 7 head I would be able to own the vintage Homburg I had to sell on ebay. And that Homburg was so good that people on this site would fight over it if it fit them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart