Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I have never understood the whole Varsity Letterman Jacket thing............I understand that in Canada, they have College/University letterman style leather jackets that I see listed too. WHO is wearing these??????? They have found their way into the Japanese market too. Must be a "LOOK" for some....... I have my own from High School.....never wore it THEN and still don't have any desire to. Is it some evolution of Rockabilly??? maybeeee........."JOCKABILLY"!!????????? (Trademark pending.....)

Anyway, though I am not (yet at least) captivated by this movement, today I saw a couple that look pretty cool. Both are small and true vintage. These are not School affiliated. This first one is particularly cool because it has a wool collar as opposed to a knit collar you see in later jackets. The second appears to be a California Angels jacket but it could be a generic team name too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3852969286...a|tkp:Bk9SR7yuo8ijYQ&LH_ItemCondition=3000|10

1671221659031.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1658372396...s|tkp:Bk9SR6quo8ijYQ&LH_ItemCondition=3000|10

1671221758079.png

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Ok if I was one of them Wise Guys on the Camels following that Star to visit that baby in that there stable, THIS woulda been the gift I woulda brought. "And they brought gifts of Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh............and the last guy brought a leather jacket with Hand Painted Naked Ladies on it......" It reminds me of the George Carlin "INTERVIEW WITH JESUS" when he seems to express disappointment/dissatisfaction with the gifts he was brought....... he says he would rather have the money instead of the gifts so he could buy...."something I need.....ya know?? Something I wouldn't normally buy for myself.................................................Like a bathin suit. Never had a baithin suit...... maybe a DEVO Hat....."

Here is the link to the interview.......this gift discussion starts about the 55 second mark or so........ ; )

I mean, who DOESN'T need a leather jacket with Hand Painted Naked Ladies on it for god's sake??!???? I'll wait.......

1671222126167.png

1671222185375.png

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Ok if I was one of them Wise Guys on the Camels following that Star to visit that baby in that there stable, THIS woulda been the gift I woulda brought. "And they brought gifts of Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh............and the last guy brought a leather jacket with Hand Painted Naked Ladies on it......" It reminds me of the George Carlin "INTERVIEW WITH JESUS" when he seems to express disappointment/dissatisfaction with the gifts he was brought....... he says he would rather have the money instead of the gifts so he could buy...."something I need.....ya know?? Something I wouldn't normally buy for myself.................................................Like a bathin suit. Never had a baithin suit...... maybe a DEVO Hat....."

Here is the link to the interview.......this gift discussion starts about the 55 second mark or so........ ; )

I mean, who DOESN'T need a leather jacket with Hand Painted Naked Ladies on it for god's sake??!???? I'll wait.......

View attachment 473285
View attachment 473286
For some strange reason, this jacket sorta reminds me of @jonesy86 Maybe its the girl on the left sleeve with the Hula looking skirt........ I hope @jonesy86 is well. I will never forget the pics of him Body Surfing Kauai in a leather jacket!!!! LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!

Craig from Craigslist

One of the Regulars
I've always loved the varsity jacket look and tbh am a little surprised to hear about folks specifically not liking it. They dress up or down really nicely and are great for everyday wear if you don't crave an all-leather jacket all the time. That red, white, and blue one in particular is stunning. I hope it looks half as good irl because I took a whole 45 seconds before hitting BIN lol.
I have never understood the whole Varsity Letterman Jacket thing............I understand that in Canada, they have College/University letterman style leather jackets that I see listed too. WHO is wearing these??????? They have found their way into the Japanese market too. Must be a "LOOK" for some....... I have my own from High School.....never wore it THEN and still don't have any desire to. Is it some evolution of Rockabilly??? maybeeee........."JOCKABILLY"!!????????? (Trademark pending.....)

Anyway, though I am not (yet at least) captivated by this movement, today I saw a couple that look pretty cool. Both are small and true vintage. These are not School affiliated. This first one is particularly cool because it has a wool collar as opposed to a knit collar you see in later jackets. The second appears to be a California Angels jacket but it could be a generic team name too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385296928671?hash=item59b57c8f9f:g:SjcAAOSwZCxjm8-n&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsAOM5hXg3+4gRYyQLztJjhA6kOMGVyhGv+AQGbFJdqMdmeWqGJSVHRTSw552iLNz3fV08ktqh0auskQJKpbmIk44p31feJTejjYHpAljxNlY45tktiXoXWn0oVeBVu50fQoNkvbJHLRDQIPBFxGiHMkFmNOujLOVe0md1kVw+c5S3RhXCEiKISS78M7MJF1Ws9De1mrTtIZWXsI8fYn8x9CbLLmu5P0JC1bvPh5CpsTa|tkp:Bk9SR7yuo8ijYQ&LH_ItemCondition=3000|10

View attachment 473283

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165837239694?hash=item269cab758e:g:3SMAAOSwAlhjmHz6&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsDoLaP3xF8fBspSN9Ka7W38A+4YcvwfUkDqtZyH0Mrtwh6tPRwBmbpBLVaxQC52FcPwF8U27TaowmKIRdpNRtkg4+tK4wRXpD87uVQIPfGjGit4cn45x1j5pat0/YguRh5HT3U6cuhEr6dG53sDb+2hTADpESb3dGbEzKSyoxWj49ZdPBxAKNdQoSsO4ltFD08kb3HfJsuWwcWeiHF4k2fTsx0eL/uaADo/wAtLfEe4s|tkp:Bk9SR6quo8ijYQ&LH_ItemCondition=3000|10

View attachment 473284

IrishStu

One of the Regulars
I've always loved the varsity jacket look and tbh am a little surprised to hear about folks specifically not liking it. They dress up or down really nicely and are great for everyday wear if you don't crave an all-leather jacket all the time. That red, white, and blue one in particular is stunning. I hope it looks half as good irl because I took a whole 45 seconds before hitting BIN lol.
You beat me to it. It reminded me of a knock off varsity jacket I had in my teens, back in the eighties. Enjoy the jacket.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385296928671?hash=item59b57c8f9f:g:SjcAAOSwZCxjm8-n&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsAOM5hXg3+4gRYyQLztJjhA6kOMGVyhGv+AQGbFJdqMdmeWqGJSVHRTSw552iLNz3fV08ktqh0auskQJKpbmIk44p31feJTejjYHpAljxNlY45tktiXoXWn0oVeBVu50fQoNkvbJHLRDQIPBFxGiHMkFmNOujLOVe0md1kVw+c5S3RhXCEiKISS78M7MJF1Ws9De1mrTtIZWXsI8fYn8x9CbLLmu5P0JC1bvPh5CpsTa|tkp:Bk9SR7yuo8ijYQ&LH_ItemCondition=3000|10

View attachment 473283

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165837239694?hash=item269cab758e:g:3SMAAOSwAlhjmHz6&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsDoLaP3xF8fBspSN9Ka7W38A+4YcvwfUkDqtZyH0Mrtwh6tPRwBmbpBLVaxQC52FcPwF8U27TaowmKIRdpNRtkg4+tK4wRXpD87uVQIPfGjGit4cn45x1j5pat0/YguRh5HT3U6cuhEr6dG53sDb+2hTADpESb3dGbEzKSyoxWj49ZdPBxAKNdQoSsO4ltFD08kb3HfJsuWwcWeiHF4k2fTsx0eL/uaADo/wAtLfEe4s|tkp:Bk9SR6quo8ijYQ&LH_ItemCondition=3000|10

View attachment 473284
Really like the first one. Too bad I missed it.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I have a fashion varsity jacket, I do not wear it often but I'm not allowed to sell it because my gf absolutely loves this jacket.

View attachment 473411
You beat me to it. It reminded me of a knock off varsity jacket I had in my teens, back in the eighties. Enjoy the jacket.
Really like the first one. Too bad I missed it.
Well, sign me up, I can't explain why either, but I love 'em too!
Ok I think I am realizing a little bit why I haven't fallen for these Varsity jackets and its all personal from my past.

Now that first one I posted, I would have bought had it been in my size because its a generic jacket. No insignia or letter etc. and it had the full wool collar. It looked legit vintage and had a cool color scheme so @Craig from Craigslist got a cool piece. Reminds me of somethin I would have seen worn on Happy Days. I am glad someone here snapped it up and it appears several would have had they had the chance.

So for me personally, its kinda weird---First off, like I explained, I have a letterman jacket from high school. I lettered in Soccer. My school colors are pretty much the ugliest color scheme imaginable----BROWN and GOLD with White leather sleeves. Back in the day, in my area, the regional newspaper would post pictures of the best art work on the back of these jackets during that sports season and I think they even did awards for the best ones.. Some people had nicknames and extravagant artistic cartoon embroidery on the back of the jacket. Some guys really had some awesome artwork...... and when you were out and about, you always knew where people went to school. It was basically like gang colors but much tamer. My school was out in the sticks but I knew a lot of school colors from playing against them. So I remember a lot of letterman jackets and a lot of "What the hell are THEY doing here???" at parties.........

But I was also a Punk Rocker and at the time, Punk Rockers and Skaters were at constant war with the JOCKOS. So I was sorta embarrassed to wear a letterman jacket because though I played sports, I more identified with and hung out with the NON JOCKOs. I never got picked on or anything but my Punk friends did a lot. There were huge brawls sometimes or guys jumping guys away from school when they had numbers in their favor.

Anyway, not exactly The Outsiders Lol........

And I know people like the look----but for me personally---because I have one with my name and patches on it etc., I would feel sorta phony if I wore one that wasn't mine from another school with someone else's name on it---or from some maker that makes replica type jackets. I don't think others who wear them look phony or anything like that. But I would feel weird wearing one...... Sorta like if you are in the military you don't see fashion in the uniform whereas if you're not, it looks cool......or you're a Mechanic and have your work Mechanic's Jacket with your name patch and to you its just your work clothes not a fashion item.

But its interesting to see that a lot of guys like the look. I wish I could get my head around it too in the same way. I did like the generic one that Craig got.

Craig from Craigslist

One of the Regulars
@Claybertrand I think we agree that generally this style doesn't look its best with added letters or patches like a "real" varsity jacket. I also think you outlined that this might be a generational thing. For younger folks like me I think the style has taken on more of a 90's streetwear vibe as opposed to a high school football player from the 50's, especially if you pair it with sneakers or (gasp) a hoodie.

In the theme of the thread though, here's a cool Schott starting at a low bid. I love this style but have no way of describing it. The moto-trucker-half-belt? I own one in more of an oxblood color and it's been an amazing buy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295415046080

1671308374733.png

Ok I think I am realizing a little bit why I haven't fallen for these Varsity jackets and its all personal from my past.

Now that first one I posted, I would have bought had it been in my size because its a generic jacket. No insignia or letter etc. and it had the full wool collar. It looked legit vintage and had a cool color scheme so @Craig from Craigslist got a cool piece. Reminds me of somethin I would have seen worn on Happy Days. I am glad someone here snapped it up and it appears several would have had they had the chance.

So for me personally, its kinda weird---First off, like I explained, I have a letterman jacket from high school. I lettered in Soccer. My school colors are pretty much the ugliest color scheme imaginable----BROWN and GOLD with White leather sleeves. Back in the day, in my area, the regional newspaper would post pictures of the best art work on the back of these jackets during that sports season and I think they even did awards for the best ones.. Some people had nicknames and extravagant artistic cartoon embroidery on the back of the jacket. Some guys really had some awesome artwork...... and when you were out and about, you always knew where people went to school. It was basically like gang colors but much tamer. My school was out in the sticks but I knew a lot of school colors from playing against them. So I remember a lot of letterman jackets and a lot of "What the hell are THEY doing here???" at parties.........

But I was also a Punk Rocker and at the time, Punk Rockers and Skaters were at constant war with the JOCKOS. So I was sorta embarrassed to wear a letterman jacket because though I played sports, I more identified with and hung out with the NON JOCKOs. I never got picked on or anything but my Punk friends did a lot. There were huge brawls sometimes or guys jumping guys away from school when they had numbers in their favor.

Anyway, not exactly The Outsiders Lol........

And I know people like the look----but for me personally---because I have one with my name and patches on it etc., I would feel sorta phony if I wore one that wasn't mine from another school with someone else's name on it---or from some maker that makes replica type jackets. I don't think others who wear them look phony or anything like that. But I would feel weird wearing one...... Sorta like if you are in the military you don't see fashion in the uniform whereas if you're not, it looks cool......or you're a Mechanic and have your work Mechanic's Jacket with your name patch and to you its just your work clothes not a fashion item.

But its interesting to see that a lot of guys like the look. I wish I could get my head around it too in the same way. I did like the generic one that Craig got.

Last edited:

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Here in Europe varsity jackets aren't 'a thing'. As a result they dont have any of the connotations you mentioned. For people over here it's just a cool looking American style jacket, nothing more nothing less.
That is totally what I figured in your case. I know that Canadians have them in College but my European friends did not. So for you guys, its a totally wearable jacket IMO. I get that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points