Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero: Highwayman or Stuart

alladin

Familiar Face
Hi,

I am thinking or ordering my first Aero leather jacket and wanted an opinion on whether it I should go for a highwayman or the stuart. If I had the funds, I'd get both:)

Opinions appreciated, thanks.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Highwayman. An older look that goes with almost anything without looking dated. I have 2, one in Cordovan(red/brown colour) and black.
Sorry not heard of a Stuart except as a lining. Is it a new style?
John

I have both....and really can't say which I like the best. The Stuart is my latest Aero while the Highwayman was my first.

Stuart...

IMG_0736.jpg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
For me it would be the Stuart. The Highwayman has a square, boxy look (I donl;t much care for) which doesn't flatter all body shapes. But it may come down to whether you prefer buttons or a zip. I imagine the Highwayman is a more popular choice.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just checked out the Stuart. Not for me, but I do like it better than an A1 button up. As Seb says, the Highwayman is definitely a more boxy cut so I would find a few pics of guys with a similar build to you and see what you think, The Stuart pic above, appears to suit a trimmer figure, dont think it would suit me.

mattp

One of the Regulars
I'd go the Highwayman, it's a classic Aero. Everyone goes on about the 'boxy' look of it, but I must say I tried one on and it was a great fitting and looking jacket; I think if it's sized correctly it's a non-issue, and it comes down to how you like your jackets to fit. A black FQHH Highwayman will be my second Aero (after a Cafe Racer). The Stuart looks great (thanks for the pic HD!), but I am just not a button jacket kind of guy.
Cheers,
Matt

Edward

Bartender
A ot also depends what look / period you want to go for. The Highwayman is a mid-late 50s style, I believe - the Stuart will fit with the rest of your wardrobe better if the Thirties are your preference.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Highwayman looks more like other jacket styles. The Stuart will stand out in a crowd. Both are equally cool. The Stuart is just more unique in this day and age. Plus, to me it seems a bit more "dressy". Hence, it can be worn for a wide range of occasions.

The hide will also make a difference. Certain hides are dressier than others.

Even though everyone says the Highwayman is very 50's, it does not seem as 50's as some other styles that Aero produces. Why? Because that particular look of the HIghwayman has stuck. It's still around and still somewhat popular, whereas the other 50's jackets that Aero makes are not seen so often any longer.

I like both and plan on getting a Highwayman one of these days. I already have a 1930's Slim Fit Half Belt. I like it very much, and I don't regret buying it as my first Aero.

Good luck! You can't go wrong with an Aero. Aero jackets are an investment of a lifetime. It will outlast you on earth, most likely, if you treat it right.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi alladin;

Glad to have you on board and welcome!

Everyone above made good sense in their opinions. I especially like Hammer Down's explanation and reasoning. Probably because I'm a Highwayman fanatic myself.

I think at your juncture in your decision making process, you should choose which hide you want (FQHH, mid weight, oil pull, steer, etc......) and flip a coin for the type of jacket. In the end you will end up with both. So it's really just a matter of which one is first!

Regards,
coffee

Edward

Bartender
Don't rule out one of the apprentice made Highywayman jackets - half the price, all the quality. Took a punt on one myself a couple of months ago, wasn't sure I'd like the design, but it's great and a superb jacket.

LM*O!
I say not. You look good man. Not goofy at all. And the jackets look great. Pulled out my HBD last night. Almost forgot how awesome that oil-pull HH is. Wish I could wear it all the time.

alladin

Familiar Face
Thank you for sharing your opinions. The pictures look great too. If I was to get either of these jackets, it would probably be in midweight HH. From the FQHH samples I've revieved, it feels quite heavy. Has anyone had a Stuart or Highwayman made in midweight HH?

1911 Man

A-List Customer
No, but I have a very similar 50's Halfbelt in midweight Jerky seal HH, and love it. I bought it specifically as a lighter weight jacket, cotton lined. Very versatile, I can use it reasonably well in cooler weather with a thermal layer underneath, or in warmer weather with a t-shirt for motorcycle riding. I do have a fqhh Barnstormer, and it is very heavy, but that may be due more to the fact that it is a 3/4 length jacket, and not the thickness of the leather. I think the Highwayman would be a better first Aero, just because it would be more versatile, you could wear it with more varied clothing, IMO.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
My vote goes with the stuart. It is the more interesting style and as such may have more character. Not to say the highwayman is boring just a little safe. but like the other punters have pointed out it is perhaps the more flexible jacket style. as far as leather choices go i cant speak to much as i am not an aero owner and only handled them in a retail setting but i will say heavy FQHH is aptly named will probably last a lifetime or 2 but perhaps not the most user friendly material. no matter which cut or hide you choose you will get a top quality jacket.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Thank you for sharing your opinions. The pictures look great too. If I was to get either of these jackets, it would probably be in midweight HH. From the FQHH samples I've revieved, it feels quite heavy. Has anyone had a Stuart or Highwayman made in midweight HH?

I have a Stuart in Seal Jerky HH, with A-2 lining, two Highwaymen, one brown FQHH, one black steerhide.

The Stuart is easily the favorite of mine, but the other two see action, as well. The Stuart is the lightest, easily, but also clearly heavier than the A-2 that I have with the same leather and the same lining.

It's hard to say much more, the jackets wear differently, but to me the cut and versatility of the Stuart makes it my favorite jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner