Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero Premier Highwayman leather jacket advice? + interior pockets

redHorse

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I've lurked on these forums for awhile because they're a great resource. Only now that I have decided to buy a relatively expensive leather jacket have I created an account to ask for some advice.

I'm from England, but I happened to be in Scotland last week so I decided to stop by Aero to be measured up and see their place. It was amazing. They were all so friendly and helpful. I told them I liked the look of the Highwayman but wanted something that wasn't too boxy. I was measured up and they suggested the Premier Highwayman in Italian horsehide.

Here are my customisations. I'm not interested in anything historically accurate, just a nice leather jacket that I can wear day-to-day in the UK weather that'll hopefully last forever and look good.

Black Italian horsehide
red heavy duty cotton drill lining
Nickel hardware
Cuffs of the Highwayman, not the Premier Highwayman
Not sure whether to keep the puller of the zipper, or what sort of zipper for the chest pocket (I think the Highwayman chest pocket zipper looks better?)

Any thoughts on this?

One other thing that I am massively concerned about is Aero's strong words regarding interior pockets. Apparently they're very much against them because they can show through over time? Does anyone have any experience with this? Is a particular pocket type (zip, button, vertical opening or horizontal opening, etc) better or worse for this?

I don't know how I could use a leather jacket without one. My current leather jacket from Morocco obviously is not nearly as high quality as an Aero, but I use it everyday to store my phone, wallet, glasses case, keys, passport, etc. Not having interior pockets is probably just too inconvenient.

Also the people at Aero seem extremely down to Earth and honest people who are genuinely just passionate about leather jackets rather than profits, so is this interior pocket showing through phenomenon something all leather jackets have, or is it just Aero? For instance, I haven't spoken to Alexander leathers/Simmons Bilt Clothing Company Ltd so I don't know what they will say about it, but they seem to have extremely similar jackets. Would they have this exact same problem too? While we're on the subject, how is the difference in quality between those two?

I did like the look of the Lewis Leathers Corsair, but unfortunately they refuse to remove the outside branding so I passed. The Aero Hercules also looks great. But I think I want the chest pocket(s).

Thanks any advice anyone!

Reactions: SJC

zebedee

One Too Many
Go for interior pockets with no snaps. By the time your interior pockets show through, you'll have beaten the jacket up enough for it not to matter. I generally found that the external pockets were more than satisfactory for phone, etc.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've only got 2 jackets now without interior pockets, I really wish they had them.

Everyone loves a beaten up leather jacket with the under colour showing, creases etc etc, the more worn the better in some cases. I don't understand then why the possibility of someday, the interior pocket showing as an outline is seen as such a bad thing.....every Jacket I order now has an interior pocket, no fixture. With all the crap we carry, it's just too handy not to have one.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I would go for interior pockets, my CR has one zippered and one snap closure pocket, and I do not notice them from the outside.

As you said - Not looking for fully historically accurate, but one that will last a long time" I would also steer you toward FQHH or even CXL Steer if it's for long-term use.

redHorse

New in Town
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Go for interior pockets with no snaps. By the time your interior pockets show through, you'll have beaten the jacket up enough for it not to matter. I generally found that the external pockets were more than satisfactory for phone, etc.

Is it the case that snaps, zips etc cause more show through than just open pockets? To be honest, I rarely need to zip my interior pockets anyway. I imagine the Aero's are quite deep.

zebedee

One Too Many
Snaps eventually show through, followed by the outline of the leather-lined pockets. I don't bother with interior pockets on Aero jackets as I don't really use them and I think leaving them out improves the line of the jacket. My Highwayman's inner pockets are easily deep enough to carry all the normal stuff (in fact, I asked for them a bit wider so I could carry a paperback in them). None of my other ones have interior pockets as I just use trouser pockets or a canvas bag for stuff I need to cart about.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The only pockets I use on jackets are inside pockets or the chest pocket. I would not like a jacket without either of these, but would really miss the inside one. I would always go with cotton drill lining.

redHorse

New in Town
Thanks for the help.

What do people think of the collar? I might ask for it to be in the style of the highwayman, but I don't know if that'll ruin the look.

I'm also not a fan of the showy chest pocket zip. I think I want a very low-key zip without anything dangling, but looking at the Aero website, none of the jackets appear to offer this.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I have yet to see a jacket that really exhibits this problem. I think part of it has to do with the design/construction of Aero's pockets. they use the same heavy leather of the jacket's outer shell for the entrance to the pocket.

This can create an impression, especially if there is a snap closure, where the leather presses together, over time and through wear, similar to a "rubbing" done with paper and crayon over a rough surface. If the wear were significant, the top coat could wear off the leather around the edges of the pocket opening, but unless there's a lot of friction, at worst I'd expect it to see it affect the way the jacket creases and drapes, and not much more than that. If you're wearing the jacket under "normal" conditions, I doubt it would be a significant problem. On the other hand Aero know their products better than I do, and they say different.

The pocket bag should not print, but if the lining is an especially heavy textile, or leather lined, then it's possible it could -- but I have never seen this, myself, and I've looked at a LOT of leather jackets, from a LOT of different makers. Maybe it's an issue after decades, but the Aero-made jackets I'm familiar with aren't that old yet. I'd love to see a photo of this problem, if anyone has one.

Aero could conceivably address their own concern by using a lighter weight leather for the pocket's opening, or using an all-cloth pocket. But, for whatever reason, they do their pockets the way they do them.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Every single one of my Aero and SB jackets has at least one internal pocket ... most have two (only two do not have studs) ..... both Eastman Leathers have inside pockets in the Aero / SB style (both by design and the Ostman has a zip closure) ... as has my LW Suburban, my two Sam Walker "Highwayman" ( again in the Aero / SB style). I find them incredibly useful and wouldn't have a jacket without at least one and my pref. would be two.

I just had a look at my oldest "Highwayman" which I was told is from '97 .... which makes it 20 years old .... it has the aforementioned LHS inside pocket with a stud fastener and shows NO external shine through on the pocket .... maybe I'm just lucky or maybe it's just because I wear them so loose fitting :) :) :) .

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the help.

What do people think of the collar? I might ask for it to be in the style of the highwayman, but I don't know if that'll ruin the look.

I'm also not a fan of the showy chest pocket zip. I think I want a very low-key zip without anything dangling, but looking at the Aero website, none of the jackets appear to offer this.

Showy? Not sure I understand that. They are traditional and go back right back to early leathers. You can get them without a proper zip pull but if they just use an ordinary zip pull they look strange. I've gone that path before.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wasn't wild about the zipper pull myself when I got my first Aero jacket either, I think it made me feel a little self conscious. I have come to really enjoy this feature, however, I think it gives the jacket a bit of style without being gaudy or obnoxious.
I completely agree with what others have said about the inside pocket, for me it is really the only pocket I use on all of my jackets. I specify mine without any button or zip closure and i haven't had any problem with the pocket showing through nor do I worry about it.

redHorse

New in Town
Showy? Not sure I understand that. They are traditional and go back right back to early leathers. You can get them without a proper zip pull but if they just use an ordinary zip pull they look strange. I've gone that path before.

I think the standard Highwayman collar is maybe a little more conservative and timeless than the Premier. What do you think?

I'm not a big fan of the dangling balls from the chest zips if I'm honest. Do you have any pictures of the alternatives? I think Daniel Craig is rocking a Highwayman here without the dangling chest zips right?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...gB&biw=320&bih=460&dpr=2#imgrc=F9_ss2S936xBfM:

That looks good to me. What do you think?

redHorse

New in Town
It's kind of fun thinking about the perfect leather jacket, but also quite agonizing and I feel like such a pedant worrying about what kind of zipper to use and so on...

I appreciate the comments from everyone though. Yeah, I'll probably go for horizontal opening inside chest pockets and not worry about it.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Here's the thread on my recently purchased Premier Highwayman--I went for an interior pocket w/o closures, and the modified less pointy collar--also has some features of the Zip Sleeve and '59er Highwayman, including dangling balls lol. Might give you some ideas-namely how the modded collar looks. I was going to go for the red drill lining but changed to black to be more neutral when wearing open. Enjoy and post up when you get it!
Link here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-new-custom-premier-highwayman.89630/

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
If you plan to wear a backpack often over this jacket, I would suggest considering the Zipped sleeves. I find this much easier to work with rather than the single button-sleeve cuff that often tries to bind or catch with pack straps. I wear a backpack everday into and out of work, with a good size laptop in it. Worth looking at. Stringmaster's Premier HWM has this feature and looks very nice.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think the standard Highwayman collar is maybe a little more conservative and timeless than the Premier. What do you think?

I'm not a big fan of the dangling balls from the chest zips if I'm honest. Do you have any pictures of the alternatives? I think Daniel Craig is rocking a Highwayman here without the dangling chest zips right?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...gB&biw=320&bih=460&dpr=2#imgrc=F9_ss2S936xBfM:

That looks good to me. What do you think?

I noticed the actor wearing this some time back - it looks too short in the torso and sleeves for my taste.

redHorse

New in Town
If you plan to wear a backpack often over this jacket, I would suggest considering the Zipped sleeves. I find this much easier to work with rather than the single button-sleeve cuff that often tries to bind or catch with pack straps. I wear a backpack everday into and out of work, with a good size laptop in it. Worth looking at. Stringmaster's Premier HWM has this feature and looks very nice.

I was going to go with the standard Highwayman cuff instead of the button cuff of the Premier Highwayman. This should also work better with a backpack and heavy laptop right?

redHorse

New in Town
Here's the thread on my recently purchased Premier Highwayman--I went for an interior pocket w/o closures, and the modified less pointy collar--also has some features of the Zip Sleeve and '59er Highwayman, including dangling balls lol. Might give you some ideas-namely how the modded collar looks. I was going to go for the red drill lining but changed to black to be more neutral when wearing open. Enjoy and post up when you get it!
Link here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-new-custom-premier-highwayman.89630/

That is one incredible jacket! You must be very pleased. Having worn it for awhile, is there anything you would change?

When you say modified collar, did you just ask for the Highwayman one? And the olive drab stitching is a nice touch. I hadn't thought about the waist buckles at all. What's the differences exactly?

I see you omitted the chest pockets. It looks good, so I'll think I'll do that as well.

Looks fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ