Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the love of seersucker.

Smumo

New in Town
It was 106F yesterday. I was outside for more than a few hours, completely comfortable. Wore my seersucker shirt dress and some sandals. Everyone else was miserable in their cotton/poly shirts and jean shorts. I looked fabulous.

Anyone else love seersucker?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love, love, love seersucker. I actually bought a three-quarter length sleeve suit in seersucker (not vintage) this spring. It is the coolest suit I've ever worn in summer.

I used to have some nice things in it, but they're too causual/ not my style anymore/ don't fit. I need to get some seersucker fabric and make myself some stuff. The best thing about seersucker is that you not only feel cool, but you look cool, which makes you feel cooler. It's like a feedback cycle. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I do! Although i don't own anything made from it in my wardrobe anymore. My Dad used to have a wonderful summer suit made from seersucker, which was pale blue and white stripes and i loved seeing him in that when i was a teenager.

Tatum

Practically Family
I do, and have been adding it to the collection. Today I am probably going to wear a brown and white two piece. It is a sleeveless top and skirt, probably 60s, but soooo cool for summer. I'll try to get a pic!

My favorite suit sounds just like sheeplady's but it is vintage :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Yep, another sucker for seersucker here! Love the stuff. Cool and comfortable.

I have a pair of shorts that are fantastically vintage styled made of lemon seersucker with tiny plaid in pale orange and brown. They are just the perfect shape and have a metal zip in the back seam. I bought them in 1996 in Holland and I last wore them yesterday. I laughed when I showed them to my Mum and she said 'I'm sure I had some like that when I was a kid in the 40s or 50s!'. I said to her 'That's probably why I like them'. :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Seersucker is rad. I have some vintage seersucker and use it sparingly. What gets me is how hard it is to find in a solid color. I find solid color seersucker amazing!

seer.jpg

Here are some vintage patterns from 1943.

seer1.jpg

seer2.jpg

seer3.jpg

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have exactly one seersucker dress -- it used to be pink and white, but the pink has long since faded almost completely away, so I look like a rumpled nurse when I wear the dress. But in hot weather, I'm rumpled no matter what I wear -- so seersucker is a definite improvement.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Seersucker is usually cotton so any usual dye for cotton would work just fine, although you do get nylon seersucker from the 1950s too.

I love the patterned seersuckers, LD. Here's a 1930s sundress dress I made recently from some vintage seersucker:

021.jpg

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Seersucker is awesome. Last year when i was searching around for it to make some skirt suits i wandered to Joanne's (good gravey i hate the people that work there) I asked one of the ladies at the cutting table if she knew if they had any in stock and where it would be if they did, she thought for a moment screwed up her face and said "Have you tired the notions section? It should be there."
:eusa_doh: ......no, no it should not. I found it, and now have tow lovely summer suits, but... :( really?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
LOL!!
I called to Joann's asking if they had white hooks and eyes, and the employee didn't know what hooks and eyes were. Hehe.

crwritt

One Too Many
Seersucker is awesome. Last year when i was searching around for it to make some skirt suits i wandered to Joanne's (good gravey i hate the people that work there) I asked one of the ladies at the cutting table if she knew if they had any in stock and where it would be if they did, she thought for a moment screwed up her face and said "Have you tired the notions section? It should be there."
:eusa_doh: ......no, no it should not. I found it, and now have tow lovely summer suits, but... :( really?

I'd really like to know what she thought a "seersucker" was!

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Laurne: haha how on earth can someone not know what a hook and eye is? lol the name pretty much gives it away.
Miss sis: I really don't know what happened to well informed employees, but i wish they'd come back!
Crwritt: lol i know, that's all i could think about after.

crwritt

One Too Many
Laurne: haha how on earth can someone not know what a hook and eye is? lol the name pretty much gives it away.
Miss sis: I really don't know what happened to well informed employees, but i wish they'd come back!
Crwritt: lol i know, that's all i could think about after.

I'm so glad that our local Jo Ann Fabrics has employees who know sewing and fabrics. They will take the time
to describe sewing techniques to customers with how-to questions. Some of them have worked there 20 years.
The other stores here that carry fabric are pretty good in that regard too, if the regular fabrics people are manning the
counter. Walmart, where I avoid shopping anyways, has a tendency to just pull any random worker off the floor and
expect them to cut fabric.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Our local employees are very good. (The only store we have left in my area that sells fabric is JoAnns, so not a lot of choices. I don't think our local walmarts ever sold fabric, because they are newer.) I even met one JoAnn's employee the other day that makes doilies! I've only met a few people in my life who even know what thread crochet is, so I was happy to chat thread with her for about 45 minutes. :)

Maybe they thought seersucker was a type of candy? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran