Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal dress khaki button shirt/s question.

samson44

New in Town
I have been battling with this issue for some time. I can't seem to get a good answer on the color cooridination for the class A formal button down shirts and ties during inspections or award ceremonies.
Many times it is khaki shirts with khaki ties. But in this photo, you can see three different configurations of tie color to shirt color. Did it matter what ties you wore with which?

080310-f-3927P-024.jpg

IkeJacket.jpg

CharlesTCraneUniformPicture2.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Apparently not...

...and it's my understanding that with the many combinable choices, there were a lot of varying styles. (One look at George Patton confirms that!) General Officers had a lot of latitude especially. The more pictures I look at, the more combinations I see - Khaki & OD together, chocolate shirts and tan ties, OD ties on tan shirts, etc, etc.

That's why re-enacting USAAF in particular is so fun - you can practically wear anything and get away with it - even the ciggie pouch/pocket on my A2 like General Savage had whether anyone agrees or not!! :p lol

-dixon 'farb' cannon

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
As you say, it seems that Generals could invent their own uniforms within reason - Hmm, not sure Patton's were even within reason.

I really can't speak to WW ll, but during the Korean War most of the stuff we were using was from WW ll or not changed much. When I got out in 1956, we were still eating C-rations date stamped 1944.

Anyway, during my time, enlisted personal were issued one tie khaki color to wear with either the Summer or Winter class A uniform.

Cheers, Jim.

carter

I'll Lock Up
080310-f-3927P-024.jpg

Black wool tie with 'pink' shirt, khaki tie with 'pink' shirt, black wool tie with 'chocolate' shirt. Apparently all were allowed. The only combination missing is a khaki tie with a 'chocolate' shirt.
The officer on the right has four overseas hashes on his sleeve denoting two years overseas. Since his Eisenhower jacket and trousers are darker than the other two officer's uniforms, I wonder if they are new.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
carter said:
080310-f-3927P-024.jpg

...The officer on the right has four overseas hashes on his sleeve denoting two years overseas. Since his Eisenhower jacket and trousers are darker than the other two officer's uniforms, I wonder if they are new.
They could be theater-made. With theater-made pieces, you are certain to have variations. By the way, the three officers are (left to right): Henry H. "Hap" Arnold, Carl "Tooey" Spaatz and James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle.
By the way, to further muddy the waters regarding shirt and tie colour combinations, here's a colour shot of "Tooey" Spaatz:
Carl_Spaatz2C_Air_Force_photo_portr.jpg

samson44

New in Town

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
080310-f-3927P-024.jpg

Black wool tie with 'pink' shirt, khaki tie with 'pink' shirt, black wool tie with 'chocolate' shirt. Apparently all were allowed. The only combination missing is a khaki tie with a 'chocolate' shirt.
The officer on the right has four overseas hashes on his sleeve denoting two years overseas. Since his Eisenhower jacket and trousers are darker than the other two officer's uniforms, I wonder if they are new.

'Ikes' came in different shades for officers even when they werent cut-down tunics. Some officer ike jackets were identical to an enlisted man's jacket, except for the lining. So some were elastique & some were serge wool, etc.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Tie shades

What I don't understand is why the Army abolished the khaki tie in favor of an olive drab one in late 1942 (to set it apart from the Marine Corps?). Also, I had thought that black had been phased out at the beginning of the war due to clothing restrictions, so why does one see both khaki and black ties worn throughout the war (although I know that it takes a couple of years to transition)? I have a couple of pictures of my father wearing a black tie with his winter uniform (sans jacket) in '42, but after that all of his photographs in dress uniform show a khaki (not black or OD) tie. In addition, wasn't khaki re-introduced (along with black) after the war?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou