Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free, Fair and Open Elections

Woul You Fix An Election?

• Never,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• It Depends...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
How important are they to you?

If you believed that victory
by the other side would
overturn all that this Country
stands for and all that you
hold dear, would you subvert
the electoral process,
if you could get away with it?

Would the ends justify the means?

Feraud

Bartender
Katt in Hat said:
If you believed that victory
by the other side would
overturn all that this Country
stands for and all that you
hold dear, would you subvert
the electoral process,
if you could get away with it?

Would the ends justify the means?
Based on this statement!
I also expect to feel the full penalty of the law when I am caught. No crybabying from this guy. No deals or ratting out friends. If I make a mistake I expect to pay for it.

Katt in Hat said:
He who must surely be in the proximity of morons.

His tag explains...
Care to enlighten me on this comment?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
How noble of you to be willing to pay the consequences for an unethical, if not downright perverse, act. But my question was, why would you be willing to commit this act in the first place?

I'd do hard time to keep Hitler out of office. JMO.

Feraud

Bartender
I don't know about noble or perverse but if I thought what I was doing was right then I am human enough to be tempted to make a mistake like that.
I am also honest enough to admit it.
As for these polls, I never judge a man by the answer he gives in one of these. From what I read, everyone is a law abiding gentleman. It is their actions that show what a person is truly made of.

Feraud

Bartender
Katt in Hat said:
You are deliberately being obtuse.

I shall no longer play your obfuscatory game.
You do not know me that well. If you cannot state your comment clealy, please let it drop. Ditto for the silly poll which tells nothing about anyone.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Viola said:
I'd do hard time to keep Hitler out of office.

I see that you don't trust the electoral process enough to work within its rules. Maybe I should have followed your hypothetical lead and tried to subvert the 2004 presidential election results. Who knows how many U.S. soldiers' lives I could have saved?

No. never.

This is why i did not vote in the first elections for the Scottish Parliament when i noticed that the ballot paper had a unique identifying number stamped on the bottom of it. Or maybe i'm just paranoid (yes, i am, but really there was a number on the ballot).

The need for free open elections is paramount, as is the acceptance of the result, whatever it might be. Hence the difficulty with the statement "we will never allow an Islamist Goverment in Iraq".

bk

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
I see that you don't trust the electoral process enough to work within its rules. Maybe I should have followed your hypothetical lead and tried to subvert the 2004 presidential election results.

I do not trust it all that well even though I strongly advocate the process. I am not going to rant against anyone who voted "no" whether I believe it or not. It is just a poll and tells not much at all. :) Edit: Not that I think you are doing that!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
I see that you don't trust the electoral process enough to work within its rules. Maybe I should have followed your hypothetical lead and tried to subvert the 2004 presidential election results. Who knows how many U.S. soldiers' lives I could have saved?

I do not place legality as my CHIEF moral concern. It is a concern but it does not override all others. I like to think that in the era of slavery I would have risked jailtime for the Underground Railroad if not taken up the role of John Brown.

I guess I don't respect The Law.

Would I cheat an election just to avoid bad management and stupid politicians? No. But there are circumstances where to abide by the law is not moral.

But like killing someone, its for only greatest extremity.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
"Free, fair and open elections" can lead to results that alarm you. Tough luck for you. I've lived under two presidents (one a Democrat, the other a Republican) whose elections alarmed me greatly. Tough luck for me.

If we're willing to subvert our electoral process whenever it's likely to give us displeasing results, then we might as well get rid of elections. (Dictators love to do this, yes?) Otherwise, bite the bullet.

Do your best to defeat your foes within the legal framework of the electoral process. I believe very strongly in our American system of government, and I'll stand by it forever -- even when it hurts to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24