Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Grain Cowhide

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
Newbie here -- Do makers offer jackets made from "full grain cowhide", showing all the leather's natural character - wrinkles, scars, bug bites, etc.? Personally, I think this would add character to the jacket...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure if it's full or top, but the Aerial Star A-2 I owned showed all of the natural imperpections despite being chrome tanned. It was kind of veiny and grainy. It didn't have a pigment finish, which had a lot to do with it I think.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Aero uses Horween CXL for their jackets, which is full grain. If you want a substantial jacket, I can highly recommend their 4-4.5oz steerhide. My absolute favorite leather, period.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Aero uses Horween CXL for their jackets, which is full grain. If you want a substantial jacket, I can highly recommend their 4-4.5oz steerhide. My absolute favorite leather, period.

That's the irony! Everyone makes a fuss about full grain but CXL has been all along! If you look at it, it looks like it has a topcoat/finish, hiding some of the natural leather. But it's considered full grain. I think the full/top thing is minimally important. What's more important is the tanning/pigment. I'd focus more on that rather than strictly thinking about top vs full.

Last edited:
Sheepdog, if you want battle scars, look into the scarred Kudu that Aero and Alexander Leather briefly used.

pawineguy

One Too Many

+1, it has always been full grain and there is the option to purchase the tumbled version which will show more character to begin with... most jacket makers are not looking for leather as you described as the majority of buyers do not want to see quite that much character. Instead, they purposely look and contract for cleaner hides. I would think if you are going custom with someone you can ask for them to select a more scarred up hide to use. The tanners are also looking for cows from areas with minimal use of barbed wire, fewer mosquitos, etc...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alpha1186 -- What's the quality like on the Fox Creek jackets? We seldom see them discussed here, but full-grain leather at those prices? I see that most are about $420 and a few as low as $225. Nice looking jackets, too.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Don't know whether Fox Creek is top grain or not..but it is naked leather..otherwise no top finish. A friend I ride with has one and it does soak up rain quite readily.
HD

+1, I have one that I don't really wear much... it's naked, advertised as full grain, and now have built in armor pockets across the line. They are a good buy, have really great customer service, but they don't fit me too well, they are a very generous cut.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That's the irony! Everyone makes a fuss about full grain but CXL has been all along! If you look at it, it looks like it has a topcoat/finish, hiding some of the natural leather. But it's considered full grain. I think the full/top thing is minimally important. What's more important is the tanning/pigment. I'd focus more on that rather than strictly thinking about top vs full.

I just inspected my jacket. I stand corrected. If I look closely, the minute leather grain/imperfections are still visible with the CXL steer.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I just inspected my jacket. I stand corrected. If I look closely, the minute leather grain/imperfections are still visible with the CXL steer.

Yes, the CXL leathers are aniline dyed so no top coat. What give CXL its unique appearance is the hand glazing, a hand polishing process that CXL undergoes as does their Shell Cordovan and Essex leathers. It's what gives that "shine" to new CXL that people either love or hate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo