Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gerry "The Hatman" Moran

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I'm a newbie and this is my first post. My hat collection is pretty much baseball caps, wool beanies for winter, and only one Harris tweed flat cap. I love fedoras and am looking into one at some point but lately I've been looking more into flat caps and maybe a newsboy cap. I ran across a guy named Gerry "The Hatman" Moran who is a hat maker out of Ireland. His flat caps look pretty nice but I was wondering if anyone had any experience.

Mulceber

Practically Family
I've never heard of him before, but just based on the description, if you're getting Harris Tweed from an Irishman, I'd say you're getting a very good product. I'm no expert, but if it was me, I'd go for it. Heck, when finances are a little less tight, I may well go for it! -M

Mulceber

Practically Family
Ah. Well still, From the description, it looks like a good product. Based on my limited knowledge, the market for flat caps isn't nearly as treacherous as the market for felt hats - if you're dealing with decent materials, you're probably in good standing. Other people probably know this market better than I do though. -M

Big_e

Practically Family
I'm not trying to persuade you from the hatmaker you're looking at, I've never dealt with him. I have bought caps from Brixton.com and Bwear caps. I find Bwear to be very well made. That may be a consideration too!
Ernest

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I'm not trying to persuade you from the hatmaker you're looking at, I've never dealt with him. I have bought caps from Brixton.com and Bwear caps. I find Bwear to be very well made. That may be a consideration too!
Ernest

I'm definitely looking into Bwear or hatpeople for a newsboy cap. I currently have a Broner Harris tweed flat cap which I purchased from berkeleyhats.com but it seems like it may be just a bit small. I may sell it and get another flat cap and was considering the make listed above. Mainly because I saw an ebay listing and I really like the tweed.

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
Picked up a nice tweed flat cap in Ireland this summer and wore it today for the first time--nice hat and the label says "Hatman of Ireland by Gerry Moran." Nice hat and it kept me warm this morning and will again tomorrow. Nice colors in the tweed-- browns, reds and blues. Maybe even some orange. I'm happy with the cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80