Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great finds in a great store

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I have to say Gratitudes is the place for vintage cloths in Dallas. After a dry spell of not finding much of any use around antique malls, Estate sales, and thrift stores (which I don't like to go in anyway), we went back over to Gratitudes, which is a stuffy, cramped and very charming little place. The owner knows his stuff and dates it all on the tags. The prices are quite reasonable, too.
Saturday I found two forties suits that fit me (44A), one dark navy and one nice light day suit. He kindly put them on layaway for me, so I'll get some pics up when I get them.
Forgive me, I'm just not used to having that sort of good fortune on 40's suit all in one day..:)

slicedbread

A-List Customer
if you know of any good places for some vintage clothing in dallas, please do let me know! i visited a place yesterday and found some nice suits...however, the owners were the "artsy" type so tthey decided to tear the suits apart and spray paint them and then mark up the price for 200 dollars...

also, does "reasonable" mean 100-200 range??

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
slicedbread said:
if you know of any good places for some vintage clothing in dallas, please do let me know! i visited a place yesterday and found some nice suits...however, the owners were the "artsy" type so tthey decided to tear the suits apart and spray paint them and then mark up the price for 200 dollars...

also, does "reasonable" mean 100-200 range??

I got the suits for $75 each. One was pristine, while the other had a minor moth hole on the cuff. Gratitudes is on Fairmount right South of Oak Lawn just North of downtown. The only other place we've had any luck was the Forestwood antique mall on Forest lane and the Tollway. There is one booth that has alot of women's cloths and a few men's items. These are more 50's and 60's items, though. Gratitudes has a much higher number of possibilities (he had about 6 40's suits at the time, and lots of 40's and 30's ties! He also had a fair number of 40's shirts on hand. I had a very weird stroke of good fortune at Ragwear which is now closed. We somehow found a really good 40's suit among all the 60's,70's, and 80's rubbish they called clothing. The only 40's suit they had, and it fit me!:)

Which shop was that you mentioned? I'd like to avoid it at all costs, lol...

slicedbread

A-List Customer
that would be it! Now, not all their clothes have been massacred...They have a bunch of 70's ish suits on hangers and then they have this big square container in the back that's just piled with suit jackets...Like they took them and just threw them in there...I saw some hart schaefner and marx jackets and such in there but definitely nothing older than 60's

then again, the 70's suits didnt need to be massacred...they were made like that.

how do these stores come to possess these suits anyways?

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
slicedbread said:
that would be it! Now, not all their clothes have been massacred...They have a bunch of 70's ish suits on hangers and then they have this big square container in the back that's just piled with suit jackets...Like they took them and just threw them in there...I saw some hart schaefner and marx jackets and such in there but definitely nothing older than 60's

then again, the 70's suits didnt need to be massacred...they were made like that.

how do these stores come to possess these suits anyways?

Well, the 60's and 70's are my very least favourite decades, so I'll avoid even if the 70's suits are intact, lol..many thanks for the warning!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know. In the few times I've been to Texas (Fort Hood area) I managed to find exactly two vintage items, both ladies'. And the lady who ran the Salvation Army where I found them had just put them out, and they were only sixties at that. I looked for a total of three weeks.
Good find, Lee Lynch.

Sunny

One Too Many
I'll second the Gratitude Vintage recommendation. My brother and I went shopping there back in June and had a fantastic time. It is indeed just jam-packed with stuff. At the time everything was 50-75% off because he was trying to reduce his stock. Both of us got shoes - I got a pair of navy peeptoes that more than fit my size 9's, for less than $30.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
We'll be going back. I'll be happy to examine the selection each time, and post updates within a day or so of going so you know when they're doing particularly well.

I did actually see a few of the suits we saw last time, so they actually aren't flying out the door.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I swung by Gratitude today... It seems like Lee cleared out all the gems...When I went there, I saw a few decent jackets with stains/moth holes on them and I saw this little number but sadly the pants were RIDDLED with motholes...The jacket only had one small hole and was in good condition...it was about a size 35-38...$75...I wish the pants were in serviceable condition...:

DSC01731.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01728.jpg

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I tried that one on, actually, lol. Some of those suits (the ones that don't fit me) in there have become like old friends:)

This last weekend we went in and there was a three piece I hadn't noticed before. It was in nice condition, but a few sizes smaller than me (me being 44a).
So if anyone's a few sizes smaller it may be worth your while to check it out.
I brought it out of the corner it was hiding in and put it more in sight...wish I knew more about fabrics and such, but it's a light beige in colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace