Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cut: Layers

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I read that layers are crucial to a vintage hairstyle. I don't have any layers but my vintage hairstyles seem alright to me, I think. I am way over due for a haircut and I am thinking of asking for layers. Anything specific I need to ask for? How will having layers help vintage hairstyles?

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Layers help lighten up the look, depending on which vintage style you are looking for. If you like to wear your hair in pincurls, layers will keep your hair from looking flat and heavy on top. I would ask for long layers, no shorter than two inches above your length. That way if you love them, you can cut them shorter. If you hate them, you don't have to wait for them to grow out.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i had layers cut into my hair, and really love it! my hair doesn't like to curl, and the bottom holds the curl the best, so since i have layers i have more "bottom" and so there is more curl! does that make sense? also, the back is cut into a U-shape, which i think adds a lot to the authenticity. the instructions i gave my hairdresser were, "cut some layers and a U-shaped back so it'll be easier to do vintage styles, but i want it to not look ugly when i don't style it." and somehow, she nailed it!

you can find diagrams for vintage haircuts online (look in the memories for the vintagehair community on livejournal) , but i'm not sure how they would look on non-vintage days... unless you always have your hair set, in which case i guess it doesn't matter!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I was always frustrated with attempting to curl my hairs and after getting long layers cut into my hair it was like night and day. I have a lot of hair and it is pretty thick and heavy. Having layers lightened it up and made the curl hold longer. It also gave me better, all over curl or wave all over my head instead of just at the ends.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
My hair is all one length and I manage to do alright when it comes to vintage styles. If you are willing to put in just a smidgeon extra time with setting and styling... layers aren't missed.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
My hair is all one length and I manage to do alright when it comes to vintage styles. If you are willing to put in just a smidgeon extra time with setting and styling... layers aren't missed.

i think this all really depends a lot on your hair type. i spent tons of time doing all sorts of vintage hairstyles for nearly a decade before getting a layered cut. i tried every combo of setting technique and product, and i just didn't achieve the same results without the layers as i do with the layers. like it was for Kitty, it was like night and day for me, too!

jayem

A-List Customer
Layers help greatly, but depending on your hair, you could manage a good curl with out. Be sure not to ask for choppy layers (unless you like the look), or your hair will turn into a fro when curled.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Also, try to find salons in your area that specialize in the vintage styles. I know there is one in Boston, and a friend told me that Minneapolis is filled with them too.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:

I second this. I have seen Lo's hair in person. Alot of it is curler placement and how long you set your hair.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i hold to my statement that it depends on the person's hair, and i guess also their tolerance of leaving in sets. maybe i could get results with one-length hair, if i left my rollers or pincurls in for 2 days. for me, that's just not reasonable - it's much easier just to have a few layers. :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I agree with getting your hair layered, especially if it's thick. If I didn't have layers, my pincurls would never even get dry.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I found this link
http://www.geocities.com/retrohairstyles/ivan2.html
posted by Miss Bella Hell to be particularly helpful. Looks safe for non-vintage hair and it's something I can print and bring to the hairdressers.
I'll start with long layers and see how that goes.
There aren't any vintage hairdressers in the area, (it's a very small army town) but lot's of my husband's wives are hairdressers and know I have a keen interest in vintage hairstyling. Hopefully they will be able to help me.

lillielil

Familiar Face
MarieAnne said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I found this link
http://www.geocities.com/retrohairstyles/ivan2.html
posted by Miss Bella Hell to be particularly helpful. Looks safe for non-vintage hair and it's something I can print and bring to the hairdressers.
I'll start with long layers and see how that goes.
There aren't any vintage hairdressers in the area, (it's a very small army town) but lot's of my husband's wives are hairdressers and know I have a keen interest in vintage hairstyling. Hopefully they will be able to help me.

I have the middy haircut described in the link (actually, I think it's closer to middy-plus these days because I am long overdue for a trim) and it really does make setting it much easier. It is completely safe for modern styles as well (looks good flatironed) and is the most versatile haircut I've ever had.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
lillielil said:
I have the middy haircut described in the link (actually, I think it's closer to middy-plus these days because I am long overdue for a trim) and it really does make setting it much easier. It is completely safe for modern styles as well (looks good flatironed) and is the most versatile haircut I've ever had.

Can you post some pictures of it un-set? I probably have something close to a middy also, but have always been unsure, because it's too hard to translate those diagrams I've seen into a real haircut, and all the vintage photos we see are of set hair!

lillielil

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
Can you post some pictures of it un-set? I probably have something close to a middy also, but have always been unsure, because it's too hard to translate those diagrams I've seen into a real haircut, and all the vintage photos we see are of set hair!

Sure :)

This is the only one I have at work, but I actually have a picture of the back taken the same day at home that I can post later if you'd like. This is totally un-styled. It may actually be un-brushed too.

bdayhair1.jpg

It really is nothing more than a layered haircut with a U-shaped back.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
lillielil said:
This is the only one I have at work, but I actually have a picture of the back taken the same day at home that I can post later if you'd like. This is totally un-styled. It may actually be un-brushed too.

bdayhair1.jpg

It really is nothing more than a layered haircut with a U-shaped back.

Thanks for taking the time to post this! It's really helpful.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I don't think layers are necessary (LolitaHaze proves that) but depending on your hair type, thickness, length and what styles you want to achieve they may well help you greatly. I have my hair cut in a pageboy (layers starting from my chin around my face), rounded at the back with long layers which is good since I can do a standard pageboy or a more curly Deanna Durbin style do too. It looks fine when worn straight too. I am growing it out at the moment though but it's worked for me!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I just had my hair cut (by the lovely Nina) the same as Sarah Louise - i have yet to style it myself but its a lovely cut just left as is

*thrilled*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner