Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween Costumes

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Hubby and I are going to a "zombie ball" on Halloween, so zombie costumes will be de rigueur. I'm trying to figure out costumes that will be a little more creative than a typical zombie get up, and right now I'm toying with the idea of doing a zombified version of the people in the American Gothic painting. For some reason, I'm not feeling all that inspired this year though.

Last year we went as Dia de Muertos skeletons - a Mexican bride and a groom version. And the year before we dressed as Rik and Vyvian from The Young Ones. lol

Some other good costumes friends have done from years past that stick out in my mind - The Invisible Man (smoking jacket, bandage over head, fez and wielding goggles), The Headless Horseman (complete with hollowed out styrofoam craft pumpkin head), Norman Bates dressed as his mother and another gal wrapped up in a shower curtain with fake gashes.

And I can't forget my favorite last-minute no-fail costume - Ed Wood! I have a very Ed Woodian white vintage angora sweater that I wear with a vintage pencil skirt, shoes and stockings. Put on a blonde vintage-styled wig, draw on a pencil thin moustache, black out your front teeth and viola - Glen or Glenda!

Can you tell we love Halloween in this neck of the woods?

Decodence

A-List Customer
Wife decided to make our nearly a year old daughter a lobster.

100 hours between the costume and treat bag.

DSC_2584%20(Medium).JPG

DSC_2597%20(Medium).JPG

DSC_2626%20(Large).JPG

luvthatlulu

Suspended
BeBopBaby said:
Hubby and I are going to a "zombie ball" on Halloween, so zombie costumes will be de rigueur. I'm trying to figure out costumes that will be a little more creative than a typical zombie get up, and right now I'm toying with the idea of doing a zombified version of the people in the American Gothic painting. For some reason, I'm not feeling all that inspired this year though.

Last year we went as Dia de Muertos skeletons - a Mexican bride and a groom version. And the year before we dressed as Rik and Vyvian from The Young Ones. lol

Some other good costumes friends have done from years past that stick out in my mind - The Invisible Man (smoking jacket, bandage over head, fez and wielding goggles), The Headless Horseman (complete with hollowed out styrofoam craft pumpkin head), Norman Bates dressed as his mother and another gal wrapped up in a shower curtain with fake gashes.

And I can't forget my favorite last-minute no-fail costume - Ed Wood! I have a very Ed Woodian white vintage angora sweater that I wear with a vintage pencil skirt, shoes and stockings. Put on a blonde vintage-styled wig, draw on a pencil thin moustache, black out your front teeth and viola - Glen or Glenda!

Can you tell we love Halloween in this neck of the woods?

Yes...and psychoanalysts must be moving there in droves!!! :eek: ;):eusa_clap

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Decodence said:

DSC_2584%20(Medium).JPG

DSC_2597%20(Medium).JPG

DSC_2626%20(Large).JPG

Ok, that is ABSOLUTELY DARLING!! I want to meet your wife-she is a genius to pull that out of the air like that!

Decodence

A-List Customer
RedHotRidinHood said:
Ok, that is ABSOLUTELY DARLING!! I want to meet your wife-she is a genius to pull that out of the air like that!
She is quite the seamstress. I have yet to figure out how I can leverage that though. Being a full-time mommy seems to take up all of her time.

Moodle

New in Town
Decodence said:

DSC_2584%20(Medium).JPG

DSC_2597%20(Medium).JPG

DSC_2626%20(Large).JPG

If I can say this without sounding creepy, my housemates and I have been standing here cooing over these pictures for a few minutes now. I'm so impressed!

Decodence

A-List Customer
Moodle said:
If I can say this without sounding creepy, my housemates and I have been standing here cooing over these pictures for a few minutes now. I'm so impressed!
While I do not think it is possible to say that without sounding creepy, I appreciate the compliment. :D

$ally

One Too Many
I'm going to wear this:
http://www.vintagehalloween.com/halcostume.html
Miss Marnie said:
I'm taking my niece trick or treating this year. She is going as a bumble bee and I am going as a daisy.
That is so cute. Please post pictures afterwards.
Miss Neecerie said:
All I ever wanted is to have -my birthday- be my day...not halloween...I wanted to be a princess and have a pink cake etc.
And all that ever happened...is another damned pumpkin cake...and sharing my day with scary costumes etc. My mother helped run a haunted house, so I even had to dress scary every year.
When deep down..I just wanted to dress as a birthday cake, and have -my- day.ok...rant over...
:( Aw, I want to make you a big pink birthday cake and give you a tiara.
Edward said:
"Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome..." ;)
hahahaha That's what I was thinking.
Decodence said:
She is quite the seamstress. I have yet to figure out how I can leverage that though. Being a full-time mommy seems to take up all of her time.
Your wife will fit right in with us Chippies then! That is just too adorable.
===

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
$ally said:
:( Aw, I want to make you a big pink birthday cake and give you a tiara.

Thanks...for my 21st....I made a giant obnoxious birthday cake costume...complete with multiple layers and a candle hat...with the 'frosting' writing saying 'happy birthday to me'...

Took me the whole summer to 'engineer' it all....hahaha

This year..I would settle for 'not another year older' ;)

$ally

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Thanks...for my 21st....I made a giant obnoxious birthday cake costume...complete with multiple layers and a candle hat...with the 'frosting' writing saying 'happy birthday to me'...
Took me the whole summer to 'engineer' it all....hahaha
This year..I would settle for 'not another year older'
I'd settle for subtraction too. I don't want to BE younger, I just want to LOOK younger. Our original due date for my son was Halloween Eve. I was relieved that he was born a couple weeks earlier than that. One of my big brothers has a birthday three days after Christmas. At least there were no scary costumes involved, just double-up presents and goofy remarks about him 'sharing a birthday with Jesus'.

$ally

One Too Many
Edward said:
Last year, I went to the Halloween Candybox as Jack Skellington, and a friend went as Sally:
As ever, I'll spend a chunk of October this year in various Rocky Horror costumes (Halloween is basically Christmas in Rocky World). This being one of them:
Uploaded18June2007040.jpg
Disney owes me money...
Dang, you do a good Frank.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Just masquerade

I don't have any big plans for halloween parties but we did have a masquerade auction last night, it was fun getting dressed up.
crIMG_3925.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I got some pre-made werewolf hair on eBay that I can just apply to my face, also went to a theatrical supply shop and got some colors to make my face a cinamon brown, dark brown lines, brows, etc., some red for my eyes and fangs, some white to highlight the brown lines. Real stage makeup, didn't realize they don't seem to have them in tubes anymore.

On "beggars night," which is the night before Halloween here in Des Moines, all the little kiddies come out to knock on doors. My brother and his spouse go in for it in a big way, put out a cauldron and give out chocolate milk and treats. I am going to show up and terrorize the neighborhood.

Hope I don't get shot. At least not with a silver bullet.

karol

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
My friend will kill me if she found out I posted her photo, but I just had to share with you this wonderful costume she created for a Halloween party we attended last night. She took a vintage suit, a blonde wig, some artificial birds bought at a craft store, a bit of fake blood and....Voila'....Tippi Hedren!:eek:

tippi.jpg
[/IMG]

$ally

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
My friend will kill me if she found out I posted her photo, but I just had to share with you this wonderful costume she created for a Halloween party we attended last night. She took a vintage suit, a blonde wig, some artificial birds bought at a craft store, a bit of fake blood and....Voila'....Tippi Hedren!:eek:
tippi.jpg
[/IMG]
Oh that is good. I liked the Shaun that Edward posted too. It's all in the details.

Nashoba

One Too Many
sigh, well I've officially run out of time to put together my tinkerbell costume (no surprise there) so I think I'm just going to wear one of the cute outfits I bought in hawaii do my hair up nice and call myself a 40's pin up. It's not like any of them will really know the difference anyway. It's kind of a playsuit pantset anyway so I suppose it will work. Besides, my dad actually said if I didn't show up in something vintage or vintagesque people would be dissapointed....well he wrapped it up in a sarcastic comment, but the intention was there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart