Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween Costumes

Story

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
If I can get motivated to track down the gear, I thought the Golden Age Sandman would be a cool vintage costume.

sandman.jpg

$19.
http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/EG9101/East_German_Army_Gas_Mask_w_Bag
eastgermangasmask3.jpg

You can cobble up the pistol-thingie from stuff at Wally-world. We'll assume you have the rest of the wardrobe.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Story said:
$19.
http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/EG9101/East_German_Army_Gas_Mask_w_Bag
eastgermangasmask3.jpg

You can cobble up the pistol-thingie from stuff at Wally-world. We'll assume you have the rest of the wardrobe.

Sweeeeet....

Thanks Story. Actually, I'd need to track down a DB suit, or at least a suit with a DB vest, I need to buy the graphic novel to be sure. To be in character it also needs to be green, which I wouldn't mind owning.

Apparently in the graphic novel there are actual plans for the gun, looks like a modified 1917, which would also give me an "Indy" gun if I made the gas accoutrements removeable.

Story

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
Sweeeeet....

Thanks Story. Actually, I'd need to track down a DB suit, or at least a suit with a DB vest, I need to buy the graphic novel to be sure. To be in character it also needs to be green, which I wouldn't mind owning.

Apparently in the graphic novel there are actual plans for the gun, looks like a modified 1917, which would also give me an "Indy" gun if I made the gas accoutrements removeable.

I think you can top this fellow's effort.
http://www.swapsale.com/DanatDragoncon-1.jpg
http://www.swapsale.com/DanatDragoncon-2.jpg

Perhaps we need a "Dressing Carebear for Halloween" thread? :p

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I usually get some latex make-up and make a big, deep gouge across my face and then douse it with fake blood. Then get dressed up in a vintage suit and tie. A few years ago when I was working down in DC I got made up like that for an office Halloween party. For fun I kept it on when I headed home on the Metro to catch my train back. It thought it was funny that no one even gave me a second glance. Jeesh people, my face is covered in blood!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley Brown said:
I usually get some latex make-up and make a big, deep gouge across my face and then douse it with fake blood. Then get dressed up in a vintage suit and tie. A few years ago when I was working down in DC I got made up like that for an office Halloween party. For fun I kept it on when I headed home on the Metro to catch my train back. It thought it was funny that no one even gave me a second glance. Jeesh people, my face is covered in blood!

Can't blame 'em. Given the context, it sets off my "Don't make eye contact, don't get involved" alarm just hearing about it. :D

zaika

One Too Many
all these are awesome ideas...i do hope you post pics!

i haven't dressed up for halloween in...forever. dunno what i would do anyway.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
happyfilmluvguy said:
I want to be Halloween for Halloween.

What should be included in the costume?

A (mostly) black cat! Want one? lol

What do I want to be for Hallowe'en? I want to be off work. I work evenings and miss all the kids in their costumes. Oh well.

Lee

"The cat, of course, said nothing. She wasn't a Catholic, too much dogma." - Kinky Friedman

Edward

Bartender
Hmmn. I'm planning (if i can manage the hands...) to do a version of edward Scissorhands this year - the costume when he's in town and they dress him up with the shirt and trousers. That'll be on the Sunday before, at the Candybox Burlesque club in Birmingham, UK ("A night to dismember"). I've always also toyed with the idea of doing Michael Myers, but that almost seems a cheat, it'd be so easy! ;) Maybe some day... I've no plans for Halloween itself this year, so maybe I'll throw together something simple like that and go for dinner with some friends or something.

Last year, I went to the Halloween Candybox as Jack Skellington, and a friend went as Sally:

PICT2891.jpg

Simple costume to make, though it took forever to paint on those white stripes! I still have it in the wardrobe, hoping to get a chance to wear it again.

As ever, I'll spend a chunk of October this year in various Rocky Horror costumes (Halloween is basically Christmas in Rocky World). This being one of them:

Uploaded18June2007040.jpg

One of my favourite costumes I saw last year was another Candybox regular who wetn as Shaun of the Dead - it was the details that really made his costume so sharp:

PICT2893.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
I've just been invited to an upcoming party: witches and warlocks ONLY. What does a warlock look like (I'm not going as a witch).[huh]

The short answer is that a warlock is the traditional name for a male witch:

"Warlocks are, among historic Christian traditions, said to be the male equivalent of witches (usually in the pejorative sense of Europe's Middle Ages), and were said to ride pitchforks instead of broomsticks which normally witches would ride. In traditional Scottish witchcraft, "warlock" was and is simply the term used for a wizard, or male witch.[1] A synonym is sorcerer.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlock

Easy-peasy!

I'd stick to a male-equivalent version of the traditional witches costume. You could probably get away with going as a wizard, though I always distinguished the two as wizards / sorcerors to me were all about an academic approach, whereas warlocks and witches were more practical, folk remedies and the likes.

Sorry about the noise, BTW - I keep setting my own 'Dungeons & Dragons nerd' alert off. :D

Josephine

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
I've just been invited to an upcoming party: witches and warlocks ONLY. What does a warlock look like (I'm not going as a witch).[huh]

Any of the men from Harry Potter would work, to be technical about it. :) There is a movie called Warlock, it's kind of dumb, but it has a line I like to quote: "I know thee! I know thy name!" when I meet up with people I know. :D Julian Sands made a cool warlock there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24