Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAT ADORNMENTS: ribbons, bows, pins, pugs, leather, etc.

Paris7

New in Town
There are other threads about changing ribbons, but I thought I'd share a bit of good news here. If you are stuck finding the right formed ribbon for a well loved hat this may be worth a try:

I have a beautiful silver grey beaver Borsalino – 1930s? I think so. It’s in very fine condition, well loved and is lovingly used. The ribbon took a stain and I made a mess of removing the mark. Unfortunately it was right at the front of the hat… A misery believe me. I found a length of very similar vintage grosgrain ribbon of a very acceptable similar color at an ancient milliners shop here in Paris. I didn’t think it would be a problem to fit this, but when I tentatively offered it up, I saw at once that it would be impossible; lesson 1 the new ribbon was not curved to fit a crown, and so of no use.

I then wondered about removing the original ribbon and turning it inside out, Once I’d carefully removed the ribbon (leaving the now cut cotton threads as markers in the hat crown) and turned the original ribbon over - it worked very well indeed. It’s a great deal fresher, not faded, and as the now much smaller mark on this side of the ribbon is just about hidden at the back of the hat by the curved brim it is wholly acceptable... and it’s the original ribbon! BINGO!

What I did was to keep a very careful eye on unpicking the ribbon, and on how the nine neat concertina pleats had been folded. I found that I really only needed to reverse the first fold and gently press it with the steam iron… et viola as they say! The hat looks very smart now - what a great difference. Now all I have to do is go back to the milliner’s shop and buy the right colored fine thread to gently stitch it on. A very happy end indeed, highly recommended.

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
Johnny J
check this, a pug for every day of the month +, all NOS Vintage.
232323232%7Ffp63549%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D353447534634%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3C4%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D353447534834%3Bnu0mrj

Really great looking pugs. I've been looking for a couple, but all I can find are solid colors and a few "ok" stripes and polka-dots.

Nothing like the designs of the older ones.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WWI Canadian Expeditionary Force #211 "The Alberta Americans"

211theCanadianOEFWWI.jpg

"The 211th (Alberta Americans) Battalion had one of the more unusual battalion histories.
It was authorized February 1916 under the command of Lt Col WM Sage.
The 211th Bn consisted mostly of Americans, as attested to by the image of the American Bald Eagle, rather than the Canadian beaver, atop the crest...

This Battalion was formed in 1916 largely from American Citizens resident in Canada or US Citizens who traveled north to enlist in the CEF to fight in the Great War
This small unit sailed to England with only 25 officers and 662 men. On arrival in England, the battalion was absorbed into the Canadian Railway Troops, and not reinforced, making badges from the 211th scarce..."

- e.g. Brad Pitt's character in Legends of the Fall.

Last edited:

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
211theCanadianOEFWWI.jpg

"The 211th (Alberta Americans) Battalion had one of the more unusual battalion histories.
It was authorized February 1916 under the command of Lt Col WM Sage.
The 211th Bn consisted mostly of Americans, as attested to by the image of the American Bald Eagle, rather than the Canadian beaver, atop the crest...

This Battalion was formed in 1916 largely from American Citizens resident in Canada or US Citizens who traveled north to enlist in the CEF to fight in the Great War
This small unit sailed to England with only 25 officers and 662 men. On arrival in England, the battalion was absorbed into the Canadian Railway Troops, and not reinforced, making badges from the 211th scarce..."

- e.g. Brad Pitt's character in Legends of the Fall.

:eusa_clap

dean

Monte

A-List Customer
That is a Cool Tumwater with a ribbon that compliments it immensely.
My Stratton, which I threw on today, is different than most of my lids because it doesn't have a ribbon which is the same color or a darker shade of the hat but still both colors are earth tones. It's a little snug but still comfortable. Oh, and the sweat is green as well.
e1dd010d-7708-4830-9c9e-cf86f9f0b98a_zpsdeab6310.jpg

Last edited:

Monte

A-List Customer
Stratton being a huge supplier of police officer hats, the colors may be leaning more on the uniform side... Designed for utility rather than beauty.
I may have to swap to brown on this one....I should take the one off my black hat. haha

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Some of these may have been posted before.

1930s Penn-Craft

01214.jpg

1930s Mallory

01312.jpg

1900s Stetson

01415.jpg

1920s Stetson

01515.jpg

1910s Feiges

01612.jpg

1900s Peschel
Not the original bow/ribbon. Replaced under my ownership (did not have a ribbon, and no, I did not replace the bow. A very popular hatter from these parts did).
01711.jpg

1920s/1930s American Hat Co.

01915.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The Peschel really stands out to me. It's interesting to see the conservative treatments of those 30s hats next to each other too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ