Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAT ADORNMENTS: ribbons, bows, pins, pugs, leather, etc.

Picked this glass bead and horse hair hat band up at an estate sale. Appears to have some age on it. The “center” pattern seems to have some random or substituted bead colors in there. A repair maybe?

3EAFDDA6-1350-4BE7-B1AC-B9E8ADC1E0DA.jpeg

A9699C9E-A48A-40DF-B96B-B370D9E7EEAB.jpeg

A7A6AABE-98AE-48FB-A0A8-E476A2C8063A.jpeg

BB86AE9B-51FC-430C-AEAB-7580DDDF8F61.jpeg

I asked the "Quiet Lady" in Caufield, Missouri (who I've purchased several beaded hat bands from) to make up one for me based on a pattern from a 1938 Indian bead loom kit pattern (with a bit of pattern from a fob to break up the repeating pattern).

Bead_Weaving_Loom_Set_Box.JPG

I wanted the blue birds and flag pattern on the black background, but didn't want the birds wings touching when the pattern repeated.

Beadwork_Flag_Bird_1.png

Here is the result mounted on a black leather strip with a figure-eight and beaded "bead" closure. She called this closure "southwestern". I could have gone with "continental" (continuous beaded loop) but it would have to be the exact size as the exterior circumference of the hat crown and I knew I would be moving this band from hat to hat (sharing it with my wife who's hats are smaller).

Bluebird_Flag_Band_1.jpg

Bluebird_Flag_Band_2.jpg

Bluebird_Flag_Band_3.jpg

I'll trim the ties back a bit.

I think it pays homage to the original (and saved me much eye strain and struggles with trying to work with tiny beads). Very happy with her work (and price!).

Last edited:

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
My father's brother-in-law Ray Cappelli passed away last year far too young. He was a police Captain, my next door neighbor and friend, he and collected pre-WWII hat pins that commemorated States, Towns and local attractions. His widow didn't want any of the pins, so they ended up at my father's house
I was given the opportunity to go through 6 trays of NOS salesman samples and found this very cool Gloucester Massachusetts boat pin that now lives on my straw Stratoliner.
20220711_074551.jpg 20220711_074916.jpg 20220711_074240.jpg FB_IMG_1657584263370.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch