Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Hi Robert—Thanks for the offer but no need. The Winchester is too light. I just looked at some online FEPSA swatches and there might well be something in there, so thanks for the info. How is the felt compared to Winchester?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Wish somebody would make a nice medium/light gray.
1680026262060.png

[/URL][/URL]

maroon blazer silver hat 002.JPG
Maroon Blazer And silvergreybtrousers2 001.JPG

This is a lighter grey, the close up photo doesn't give you a the true colour due to the artificial light, but seen outside you can get a better idea of it's colour and it's effect.
cravat red 003.JPG

Getting the true colour from a camera phone is always a hit and miss affair as you can see with this outdoor photo of the blazer that I am wearing compared to the darker appearance in the previous two photos.

What I really wanted to wear with this outfit is a burgundy hat, but when I tried one on the colour wasn't for me. Silly perhaps, but I have to feel comfortable with all that I wear and burgundy hats fail to impress. Shame.

1680027116784.png

shoes 23.jpg
You can just make out the shoes, another bespoke pair courtesy of Mr. Johnson.

Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
View attachment 502514
[/URL][/URL]

View attachment 502515 View attachment 502516
This is a lighter grey, the close up photo doesn't give you a the true colour due to the artificial light, but seen outside you can get a better idea of it's colour and it's effect.
View attachment 502517
Getting the true colour from a camera phone is always a hit and miss affair as you can see with this outdoor photo of the blazer that I am wearing compared to the darker appearance in the previous two photos.

What I really wanted to wear with this outfit is a burgundy hat, but when I tried one on the colour wasn't for me. Silly perhaps, but I have to feel comfortable with all that I wear and burgundy hats fail to impress. Shame.

View attachment 502520
View attachment 502522
You can just make out the shoes, another bespoke pair courtesy of Mr. Johnson.
Very nice!

Art Fawcett used to have an exclusive from Winchester on certain colors including dove gray. I love the color, but waited too long and they were all gone by the time I asked for one.

I too think that the FEPSA dovetail has potential.
I have one of Art's Dove grey. It is a great colour. FEPSA dovetail is a nice medium grey.

Like a lot of felt, the color seems to vary a lot depending on lighting etc. Here are two photos of the same Dovetail color:

FDF184E7-4B19-480D-AB09-F28C078A9A4E.jpeg
9DB5478C-291E-48A9-9FAA-1DBFB334F449.jpeg

It’s tough to make color decisions without seeing the felt. The best else can do is hope to see a lot of photos from many contributors in varying lighting and make an educated guess.

Like a lot of felt, the color seems to vary a lot depending on lighting etc. Here are two photos of the same Dovetail color:

View attachment 502754 View attachment 502755

It’s tough to make color decisions without seeing the felt. The best else can do is hope to see a lot of photos from many contributors in varying lighting and make an educated guess.
Tim's felt photos are terrible. I have picked up a few felts only to discover, on receipt, the colour is nothing like the picture and pretty much unsaleable. It is a crap shoot.

View attachment 502754 View attachment 502755

I don't throw anything out and now I have accumulated many felt scraps so I am able to mail a small swatch to the client if they want to actually see the colour. Waaay back Art sent me a sample swatch card of all the Winchester colours. It was such a huge help in picking the right colour felt.

I don't throw anything out and now I have accumulated many felt scraps so I am able to mail a small swatch to the client if they want to actually see the colour. Waaay back Art sent me a sample swatch card of all the Winchester colours. It was such a huge help in picking the right colour felt.

One of the other challenges is how the dye changes one lot to the next. Winchester’s black cherry drastically changed when the dye was changed, but even colors that are supposed to be identical can vary quite a bit. I have three 100% beaver hats all made form Winchester’s dress weight felt in the color granite that look different even in the exact lighting.

And yes, Tim’s photos, particularly the color accuracy, are horrible.

One of the other challenges is how the dye changes one lot to the next. Winchester’s black cherry drastically changed when the dye was changed, but even colors that are supposed to be identical can vary quite a bit. I have three 100% beaver hats all made form Winchester’s dress weight felt in the color granite that look different even in the exact lighting.

And yes, Tim’s photos, particularly the color accuracy, are horrible.
I have Commando green from Tim in both beaver and rabbit. Two very different colours....not even close except you can say they are both green(ish).

...I have picked up a few felts only to discover, on receipt, the colour is nothing like the picture and pretty much unsaleable. It is a crap shoot.
I've mentioned this somewhere here on The Forum before, but the true colors of EVERY felt hat I've purchased online (as opposed to in-person) have been something of a surprise to me when I finally saw them. Felt is, apparently, difficult to photograph because it isn't a solid surface; the individual fibers sometimes reflect light very differently, and that affects our perception of the overall color. So far I haven't received a hat that was so far from what I expected that I've had to return it, and one or two were better than what I was expecting; Akubra's "Bluegrass Green" for example, which is in my opinion a wonderful shade of green.

If the exact color is that much of an issue, do whatever you have to to see it in person before you spend you hard-earned cash.

I've mentioned this somewhere here on The Forum before, but the true colors of EVERY felt hat I've purchased online (as opposed to in-person) have been something of a surprise to me when I finally saw them. Felt is, apparently, difficult to photograph because it isn't a solid surface; the individual fibers sometimes reflect light very differently, and that affects our perception of the overall color. So far I haven't received a hat that was so far from what I expected that I've had to return it, and one or two were better than what I was expecting; Akubra's "Bluegrass Green" for example, which is in my opinion a wonderful shade of green.

If the exact color is that much of an issue, do whatever you have to to see it in person before you spend you hard-earned cash.
It gets even more complicated than that. Art sent me a complete set of colour swatches of the Winchester felts when I first ordered from him. The felt lightens up a fair bit after the pouncing process so I have been surprised to receive finished hats that were a shade or two lighter than the original condition swatches. Then when you add in the difficulties of photographing ribbon the entire process in fraught with huge hurdles.

It gets even more complicated than that. Art sent me a complete set of colour swatches of the Winchester felts when I first ordered from him. The felt lightens up a fair bit after the pouncing process so I have been surprised to receive finished hats that were a shade or two lighter than the original condition swatches. Then when you add in the difficulties of photographing ribbon the entire process in fraught with huge hurdles.
Yes.....I just emailed you about this very subject on my next hat!:rolleyes::oops:
We will get the felt and ribbon worked out!
;):)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Red Hat & Blazer1 002.JPG

The red hat is becoming worn a lot more often. Yesterday the sun shone, I selected a colourful Aloha shirt with a red & white theme, something that the red fedora would have complimented well, only for the heavens to open up.

There is one colour that I have seen here on The Lounge that is just so exquisite, I must see if my milliner can source a felt of the same colour.

Royal.jpeg

A beautiful hat Bob.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I agree, the red is smashing. If Ms. Tina has a matching outfit, you would certainly solidify your position as the "power couple" at the antique auto shows!

View attachment 556761
The red hat is becoming worn a lot more often. Yesterday the sun shone, I selected a colourful Aloha shirt with a red & white theme, something that the red fedora would have complimented well, only for the heavens to open up.

There is one colour that I have seen here on The Lounge that is just so exquisite, I must see if my milliner can source a felt of the same colour.

View attachment 556762
A beautiful hat Bob.

Thanks Robert! You are rocking that red hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner