Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thekiyote

Familiar Face
Depends on how you dress.

I would personally go with brown first, and then grey, but that's because I tend to dress more casually, and grey looks a little too dressy. If you're more of an OCBD and chinos person, grey is probably your best bet.

RJR

Though not my personal favorite silver belly with matching trim is very versatile.
Hat-NW Hats-R3.jpg

Duff

New in Town
Hey folks,

Hope you're all doing well.

So, I thought about this for some time, and I figured that I should get myself a custom hat made. Now, I called and emailed a few hatters, trying to get a feel of who I'll be dealing with, and who's process better works for me.

In the end, I've narrowed it down to two hatters, and while I've mostly made up my mind, the hatter I want to go with made a recommendation that made me stop and wonder.

He saw pictures of me and my clothing, and suggested going with a light grey hat. The thing is, my daily wardrobe colors pretty much consist of earth tones.

What I normally wear, and what I plan on wearing my hat with:

Jeans, chinos, linen trousers, wool trousers, and khakis. Probably combined with t-shirts, button up shirts (plain and classic patterns), flannel shirts, linen shirts, maybe Polos, and sometimes leather jackets.

Footwear: cream bucks, all shades of brown and tan leather shoes and leather boots.

Also, if I can pull off wearing the hat with a tweed or sports jacket and jeans or wool trouser combinations, I will.

My wardrobe colors:
Browns, greens, creams/beige, greys, dark reds, and blues/navys.

image.jpeg

A pretty close color pallet of the colors I wear, missing blue tones, though.

Skin tone: I know how important this is, and how much skin tone plays a part in hat colors. I have a typical olive complexion.

So, here's an example of the color grey suggested to me:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I honestly always thought my first hat would be some shade of brown. Here's a color I had in mind, although there are so many nice browns out there, it's hard to settle on one. I do really like those red-ish, pecan browns, and some medium-light browns, too.

image.jpeg

What do you guys think? Was the light grey an appropriate suggestion, or does brown make more sense considering my wardrobe?

Cheers

I’m no expert, but I see it sort of like shoes. If you only own one pair of dress shoes they need to be black. If you only own one hat the grey with black ribbon is best. It’s a wonderfully versatile hat that can be dressed up or worn casually.

Go with the brown as a second hat. As an aside, I like pecan but it has definite green undertones so just be aware.

Duff

New in Town
I’m no expert, but I see it sort of like shoes. If you only own one pair of dress shoes they need to be black. If you only own one hat the grey with black ribbon is best. It’s a wonderfully versatile hat that can be dressed up or worn casually.

Go with the brown as a second hat. As an aside, I like pecan but it has definite green undertones so just be aware.

I get that light grey is a versatile hat color, but when it comes to the clothing and colors I'll be wearing my hat with, would that still be the better option?

I'm one of the least "fashion conscious" people I know so take my opinion for what it's worth, but I agree with deadlyhandsome. A true grey, i.e. one with no blue, green, or purple undertones, is a good neutral color that pairs well with just about every other color of the spectrum. And a grey hat with a black ribbon is a classic look that's hard to beat.

That being said, you clearly want a brown hat so I'd throw fashion advice out the window and get a brown hat. There are a lot of choices out there--light, medium, dark, warm browns, cool browns, etc., so do the research before you decide. My personal favorite is a color called Whiskey. I prefer warm browns so that might not be what you're looking for, but I think it would go well with your wardrobe and I wear mine with tee shirts and blue jeans regularly.

Last edited:

Duff

New in Town
Welcome to the lounge Duff.
I would suggest that if you really want the most non-subjective opinions based on your listed criteria, images of yourself wearing what you would call your “usual” type attire would be most helpful.
Otherwise....medium grey hat, medium black ribbon.
B

Thanks, Abba, I'm glad to be here.

As for my wardrobe, I put together a small album to give you a better idea of what I normally wear.

This album doesn't cover everything, of course, but it'll give you a good sense of the color pallet I talk about.

https://imgur.com/a/bHIvzdc

Cheers

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ok man:
That helps. Looking at your images of self and dress and since you are dark haired with a dark full beard, i can see you best in a gray hat black medium wide ribbon as an all for one hat. I would have gone with a brown but for your hair color.
That’s my 2 cents and for gosh sakes do not confuse me with a sharp dressed man. But you were sincere enough to present images so i will be so as well.
Be well. Bowen
Ps: post what you come up with and welcome again.
B

Thanks, Abba, I'm glad to be here.

As for my wardrobe, I put together a small album to give you a better idea of what I normally wear.

This album doesn't cover everything, of course, but it'll give you a good sense of the color pallet I talk about.

https://imgur.com/a/bHIvzdc

Cheers

I’m sticking with my gray recommendation, but the brown would work too. Do you ever envision wearing the fedora with anything more dressy? If you are 100% casual and you like the brown I say go for it. I find it’s almost as hard to find the right hat for the day even when you have....a lot (my wife may be watching so I’m not giving any numbers :) )

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
I agree with what Abba said about a grey hat going better with your hair colour. Many browns and greys would work with the outfits you showed, though the majority of photos suggested that a brown would more frequently be best. However, I find that, with hats at least, sometimes you just feel like a person that wears a certain colour of at. In general, for most people, grey and browns are best, the former better for more formal, the latter for more informal. But... even though I see how sensible these colours are... I almost always find myself wearing navy hats (unless they're straw). I'm just a navy hat person. You sound like you feel like a brown hat person, which might trump anything else.

Duff

New in Town
Thank you guys for all the comments, I really do appreciate it.

I feel like the consensus is that while both colors work, and while grey might better be suited for formal wear and my dark hair, that I should go for what I like the most.

I honestly really like browns. I did want to keep an open mind to grey, and it may very well be the next hat I get, but for now, I see myself wearing a fedora with a lot of earth tones and casual outfits.

Funny enough, while I wasn't sure about which brown to pick, @deadlyhandsome mentioned a good point: pecan brown can sometimes have a very subtle green undertone to it, which might actually work even better than expected for me. Green goes well with people who have dark hair and an olive complexion, combined with my wardrobe choices, I think it'll be a great complementary color.

Still, I'm gonna keep researching and see what works for me.

I'll keep everyone posted.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know what you mean with the undertones in brown. My first Akubra Federation was very red. When I bought a Federation Deluxe it had green undertones. Good looking hats but very different.
One of my most versitile hats I own is a light green custom. That’s not a bad option either ;)
Johnny

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings Duff et al:
Well, i feel like an expectant Uncle awaiting your pride and joy.
In summary of the “Duff Project”:
Good advice all around.
Best advice from JC..get what you want supported by Z.
DH for the Pecan in the brown you seemed to lean towards.
You for starting with a custom, Sheez, and supplying clothing color pallets, concerns and selfies.
So..who is your hatter choice? Many will have plenty on that choice. You will be required to post voluminous images of said hat so we can enjoy your voyage.
Been fun.
You have all the makings of a hat guy!!
1 down 99 to go!! Ha
Again welcome to the lounge.
Be well. Bowen

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking gray or whiskey, based on all the visuals. I have a whiskey and love the color. I just don't love the particular hat so I don't wear it much. I may have to sell it and have something made that is more to my liking.

Years ago, I never thought I'd wear a gray hat. Now I wear the few I have as much as, if not more than, my brown ones.

I also used to be a big fan of the 'tan' family when it comes to hats. Now, not so much. They sort of wash me out.

I have begun to explore the green family as of late, and I have a custom in the queue of one of our famous hat maker artisans as we speak.

Keep in mind that there are almost endless shades of every color. Just small differences can make or break the way you think a hat will look on you. I had mentioned 'tan' hats above. I have one that I don't like on me, and a couple that look much better.

The point is, as mentioned above, there will not just one hat in your future, so embrace that idea right now, young man! hahaha

Thank you guys for all the comments, I really do appreciate it...
One of the great things about The Lounge is that you can ask what you think is a simple question, and get a wide variety of excellent opinions and perspectives that will give you things to consider that you might not have thought of on your own. On the other hand, you can ask what you think is a simple question, and get a wide variety of excellent opinions and perspectives that will give you things to consider that will make your decision much more difficult. :D

...I also used to be a big fan of the 'tan' family when it comes to hats. Now, not so much. They sort of wash me out...
I'm glad you mentioned this. Speaking strictly about colors I've always leaned towards "mid" browns for my hats, like my Tawny Fawn Fed IV and Taupe Fawn Campdraft. But after reviewing photos I've taken of my hats on my head and taking my hair color, beard color, and "fish belly white" complexion into consideration, I now think darker colors like my Dark Brown Fed IV and Bluegrass Green Campdraft actually look better on me regardless of the color of the clothes I was wearing. Unfortunately, now when I reach for one of my mid-brown "go to" hats I pause to re-think my choice for a moment.
PzV1uhC.gif

Last edited:

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Hey folks,

Hope you're all doing well.

So, I thought about this for some time, and I figured that I should get myself a custom hat made. Now, I called and emailed a few hatters, trying to get a feel of who I'll be dealing with, and who's process better works for me.

In the end, I've narrowed it down to two hatters, and while I've mostly made up my mind, the hatter I want to go with made a recommendation that made me stop and wonder.

He saw pictures of me and my clothing, and suggested going with a light grey hat. The thing is, my daily wardrobe colors pretty much consist of earth tones.

What I normally wear, and what I plan on wearing my hat with:

Jeans, chinos, linen trousers, wool trousers, and khakis. Probably combined with t-shirts, button up shirts (plain and classic patterns), flannel shirts, linen shirts, maybe Polos, and sometimes leather jackets.

Footwear: cream bucks, all shades of brown and tan leather shoes and leather boots.

Also, if I can pull off wearing the hat with a tweed or sports jacket and jeans or wool trouser combinations, I will.

My wardrobe colors:
Browns, greens, creams/beige, greys, dark reds, and blues/navys.

View attachment 119306

A pretty close color pallet of the colors I wear, missing blue tones, though.

Skin tone: I know how important this is, and how much skin tone plays a part in hat colors. I have a typical olive complexion.

So, here's an example of the color grey suggested to me:

View attachment 119307
View attachment 119309

I honestly always thought my first hat would be some shade of brown. Here's a color I had in mind, although there are so many nice browns out there, it's hard to settle on one. I do really like those red-ish, pecan browns, and some medium-light browns, too.

View attachment 119308

What do you guys think? Was the light grey an appropriate suggestion, or does brown make more sense considering my wardrobe?

Cheers
Welcome to The Fedora Lounge Duff. You have received a lot of great advice from other members. I don’t have quite the collection of hats that other members have but I a range of colors to choose from depending on my daily outfit. My advice would be get your custom hat in the color that you like best and then purchase some lower end less expensive hats in other colors. This can give you a different look and feel for your next custom.

Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot