Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Colour is so tricky. I have a Dove beaver from Art. It is decidedly a blue/grey colour. The most Taupe(y) coloured felt I have is one of Art's "Limestone" felts in beaver. A beautiful neutral mid tone felt.
Also, a further difficulty even when working from swatch samples is the finished hat comes out, in my experience, much lighter in tone than the swatch. I have a Sahara and it is much much lighter than the swatch and too light to be considered a Taupe.
That is helpful. Thank you. Do you find the Sahara to have orange tones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For my Sahara I would say no orange tones. It finishes to be a light toned felt. It is my spring hat before it gets hot enough for a straw. The Natural is a few shades darker and while I would consider it very much in the light brown category it is still neutral.

Ah, Limestone. It’s on my VS list right behind Blue Smoke. Who doesn’t love VS, but when trying to get other hatters to make you a hat the 36 hat body minimums Winchester has for what used to be VS exclusive colors make it tough.

Art told me he asked Winchester to develop a felt colour to replicate the colour of the Limestone cliffs in Tennessee. Makes for a great story! AND I love the colour....neutral but decidedly not bland.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I have been studying up on colors of beaver felt and am a bit overwhelmed. in addition to a shade of green, I am also thinking about something in a shade of blue.

I wear mostly jeans, khakis, brown and black leather jackets, with brown or black shoes or boots, as well as denim jackets, earth tones and pastel shirts. I am not really sure what colors work with what. I know this is all very subjective but any recommendations?

Dark Moss, Dark Sage, Blue Smoke, Dove?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have been studying up on colors of beaver felt and am a bit overwhelmed. in addition to a shade of green, I am also thinking about something in a shade of blue.

I wear mostly jeans, khakis, brown and black leather jackets, with brown or black shoes or boots, as well as denim jackets, earth tones and pastel shirts. I am not really sure what colors work with what. I know this is all very subjective but any recommendations?

Dark Moss, Dark Sage, Blue Smoke, Dove?

Have you chosen a hatter? If it’s not VS you probably can’t get Dove, Limestone, Blue Smoke, and a couple of others. Of course the easy answer, and the one many here have embraced, is to get one or more of each.

I put a deposit down with Art, but I am going with a couple of makers :)

Is Blue Smoke blue? What the heck color is Dove? Who comes up with these names?

Well, dove is dove colored:
459d4a6e292c36a30fbfe142dfb57b4a.png

This is a classic color and very versatile.

Since Blue Smoke was a proprietary color to VS I assumed that Art came up with the name but I don’t really know. I don’t own a blue smoke hat yet, but the images I’ve seen all have subtle blue undertones. It’s a great looking color and it will be my next hat from VS. These are never easy decisions for those of us lacking the means to buy every hat we might like. Your looking at very versatile and classic colors so I don’t think you’ll be disappointed whatever you chose.

My #1 pick is Silverbelly to go with almost and combo of clothing. 2nd pick is Neutral and Ivory.

The biggest problem with Silverbelly is that many of us have LOTS of hats in that color. It’s a wonderful color, but it’s nice to have some diversity. I also agree that Winchester’s natural is a great all-around color.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
The biggest problem with Silverbelly is that many of us have LOTS of hats in that color. It’s a wonderful color, but it’s nice to have some diversity. I also agree that Winchester’s natural is a great all-around color.

I have a number of different color hats but none get the compliments that I get when I wear a Silverbelly. Something about it says "clean and style".

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I see colors, but don't really get all the subtitles of these hats.
So far I have an Akubra in Carbon Grey, a Silverbelly Open Road, as well as a Silverbelly Stratoliner in the mail. My most recent is a Natural Gannon. Art has recommended a Black Cherry, and I think that is my next hat. :)
Blackcherry-new-dye.jpg

Rick recommends brown and Grey but, my natural to me seems brown, and I already own a grey. So, I was thinking about a Dark Moss:
moss hat 1.jpg

And also like this Borsalino Como in Navy:
borsolinocomonavy.jpg

So many choices. :)

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I see colors, but don't really get all the subtitles of these hats.
So far I have an Akubra in Carbon Grey, a Silverbelly Open Road, as well as a Silverbelly Stratoliner in the mail. My most recent is a Natural Gannon. Art has recommended a Black Cherry, and I think that is my next hat. :)
View attachment 126854
Rick recommends brown and Grey but, my natural to me seems brown, and I already own a grey. So, I was thinking about a Dark Moss:
View attachment 126851
And also like this Borsalino Como in Navy:
View attachment 126852
So many choices. :)
To me the Stratoliner with the light silver band and brim binding is the most beautiful hat hands down.

Sounds like you’re well on your way to a diverse and balanced hat collection. I have a Black Cherry in the works right now with The Phoenix Hat Co. A few years back Winchester changed the dye for Black Cherry and made it more black and less cherry so be careful using old photos.

I have several of the Premium Stratoliners, including Silverbelly, and I like them a lot. One 2 Mini Ranch runs them on sale from time to time and his prices are often the best going. Another great hat that you can sometimes find at the outlet(s) is the Stetson New York LE and the Phantom Gray is a staple color that is easy to wear (and the felt is the best Stetson has made in 30+ years).

Funny, I also recently got in line for another Phoenix and I chose dark moss and give the hatter the same reference photo you included in your post (I think it’s actually Eric’s hat). I have a half dozen green hats and I’m always looking for another. Dark moss is surprisingly versatile, but I would not say it is always easy to wear; takes some thought in coordinating. I have a green homburg that makes an appearance one day a year; St. Patrick’s.

I am somewhat color blind so don't match colors well. When the wife is not around to "inspect" I grab an old clear belly fedora or a silver belly Resistol 100 fedora conversion. matches almost anything ( according to the inspector).

Oh I don’t match colors well either. I try, but the results are sometimes laughable. I read @Short Balding Guy talk about warm and cool tones and I can see his ensembles look like what I’m after but sometimes I fall on my face. Not being afraid to fall on your face is a very valuable skill to have.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I got a Premium Strat from one 2 this spring but, it came in damaged and I sent it back. Have been waiting for one from Del Monica since April. I hope the Black Cherry Art has isn’t too black. Are all the felts from Winchester?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Black Cherry is an awesome felt, and Art has made many great hats with it. He had the lightweight felt when I ordered, so, of course, VS Playboy.

It's pretty versatile, moreso than one might think at first glance. I think the black cherry would fill a good role in that hat lineup. It goes well with navy and adds a subtle contrast to black.

Black Cherry is an awesome felt, and Art has made many great hats with it. He had the lightweight felt when I ordered, so, of course, VS Playboy.

It's pretty versatile, moreso than one might think at first glance. I think the black cherry would fill a good role in that hat lineup. It goes well with navy and adds a subtle contrast to black.

I agree that black cherry is a great color and I’ve commissioned a hat in the color. However, the newer dye is much darker than what it was a few years ago. It’s now definitely more black than cherry.

And your hat is that photo is amazing; worthy of the Playboy name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto