Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
IIRC, his had a special finish applied that makes it almost like a long hair finish. I asked Art to do a suede finish on mine, which is something akin to a velour, but it seems to catch a bit more light than the standard pounce job, and thus appears a teeny tiny bit lighter.
The Black Cherry hat I had made for Daniel from Alley Kat hats, was finished with what Tim called a long "luring" process, and in up close it looks a lot different then what a cell phone picture can capture.

The Black Cherry hat I had made for Daniel from Alley Kat hats, was finished with what Tim called a long "luring" process, and in up close it looks a lot different then what a cell phone picture can capture.
It's interesting to me that you should mention this. Back in April/May of 2014 Tim made a beautiful Whiskey fedora for me, and while I was outside taking photos of it I noticed how the individual fibers reflected the sunlight differently, presenting a variety of hues that to my mind were very much like the colors of light being filtered through a glass of whiskey "on the rocks". Unfortunately I have neither the equipment nor the skills to capture this effect in a photo, but it struck me at that moment just how appropriate the name "Whiskey" is for that color of felt.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
It's interesting to me that you should mention this. Back in April/May of 2014 Tim made a beautiful Whiskey fedora for me, and while I was outside taking photos of it I noticed how the individual fibers reflected the sunlight differently, presenting a variety of hues that to my mind were very much like the colors of light being filtered through a glass of whiskey "on the rocks". Unfortunately I have neither the equipment nor the skills to capture this effect in a photo, but it struck me at that moment just how appropriate the name "Whiskey" is for that color of felt.
Yep....you nailed the observation perfectly. Just something that the luring does on the finish and color.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I went with Art’s Black Cherry but, I have to admit that I can’t really tell the difference between many of the colors in the samples that he sent me. I see mostly black, brown, and grey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I sure regret not having one hat made for Daniel from Art. It was on what is known as our "bucket list" but sadly things happened and we just never got one. I find that the color Black Cherry for hats is all in it's own as to what seems to be worn with it, but I also think it does depend on the brim trim to some degree.

I have to say, some months back I saw a youngish guy in jeans, a white shirt, a rumpled sports coat, and a black cherry (almost red) fedora. He really rocked the look. I'm not sure I could pull it off. But if ever there was a look of casually-thrown-together je ne sais quoi, that was it.
I find it interesting that one person can dress a specific way and make it look so natural, while others can dress the same way and make it look like a costume. Several years ago I was at a local gas station filling the tank in whatever I was driving at the time when a beautiful 1955 Chevy Bel Air pulled in. When the driver got out, a 30-something young man, I noticed his personal style was that of a 1950s "greaser"--slicked-down hair, white tee shirt with the sleeves rolled up (and a pack of cigarettes rolled into one of them), jeans with the cuffs rolled up, and black Engineer boots. Based on his demeanor I concluded he dressed this way regularly, but he made it look so effortless and "right" that it was as if he had just driven out of 1955 and into modern day. If I tried that, even with the car, people would ask if I was going to a costume party.

I’ve been obsessing over hat colors. I found this in an years old post and I thought I’d paste it in here as it shows the color I’m after (Blue Smoke) and it nicely contrast it to other colors. It also shows the difference lighting makes. Originally posted by @gtdean48

ed4da3f57f8940eeb92c8dc86e76225b.png

024d1fd4339628553525a09175a84900.png

0db2edc6a24b1e6689f327d9cf3ffefe.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I went with Art’s Black Cherry but, I have to admit that I can’t really tell the difference between many of the colors in the samples that he sent me. I see mostly black, brown, and grey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Jonesy, shifting this over from WHAYWT, here's a comparison shot from this morning (a bit overcast, per SF usual) of my Optimo in Oxblood on the left, VS Black Cherry (suede finish) on the right, and a Black Sheep Hatworks 100% beaver black cherry swatch in the middle.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Oooo, I like that Oxblood Optimo. Haven't gone down the Optimo rabbit hole yet.

I have an order in with Art:
Black Cherry
7 1/2 Long Oval
2 1/2 inch Brim bound same color as ribbon
4 1/4 Inch Crown
Diamond Crease
1 inch Ribbon, close to matching felt color

I suppose I could discuss ways to bring out the Cherry from the Black as it were, like thread and ribbon color maybe more to the red shade or a suede finish? Don't really know what I'm doing accept I bet what ever Art does will be pretty cool.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

:)

I find it interesting that one person can dress a specific way and make it look so natural, while others can dress the same way and make it look like a costume. Several years ago I was at a local gas station filling the tank in whatever I was driving at the time when a beautiful 1955 Chevy Bel Air pulled in. When the driver got out, a 30-something young man, I noticed his personal style was that of a 1950s "greaser"--slicked-down hair, white tee shirt with the sleeves rolled up (and a pack of cigarettes rolled into one of them), jeans with the cuffs rolled up, and black Engineer boots. Based on his demeanor I concluded he dressed this way regularly, but he made it look so effortless and "right" that it was as if he had just driven out of 1955 and into modern day. If I tried that, even with the car, people would ask if I was going to a costume party.
Maybe he did just drive out of 1955.... cue Twighlight Zone theme.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oooo, I like that Oxblood Optimo. Haven't gone down the Optimo rabbit hole yet.

I have an order in with Art:
Black Cherry
7 1/2 Long Oval
2 1/2 inch Brim bound same color as ribbon
4 1/4 Inch Crown
Diamond Crease
1 inch Ribbon, close to matching felt color

I suppose I could discuss ways to bring out the Cherry from the Black as it were, like thread and ribbon color maybe more to the red shade or a suede finish? Don't really know what I'm doing accept I bet what ever Art does will be pretty cool.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

:)
Sounds great to me as long as the specs are what you like. I like a taller crown and wider brim as a general rule, and sometime a little contrast can bring out hues in the felt you might like to see... I have a more red/purple looking black cherry felt and would like to get the blacker black cherry as well.

Maybe have Art send you pics of contrasting ribbon colors that he thinks work well with the black cherry felt. I've seen black, burgundy, dark navy and grey used with the black cherry felt and it all looks good to me.

On the other hand, what you have described sounds perfectly amazing. So, have I mixed up your mind any??? I know how hard it is to make decisions when it comes to a custom hat.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Sounds great to me as long as the specs are what you like. I like a taller crown and wider brim as a general rule, and sometime a little contrast can bring out hues in the felt you might like to see... I have a more red/purple looking black cherry felt and would like to get the blacker black cherry as well.

Maybe have Art send you pics of contrasting ribbon colors that he thinks work well with the black cherry felt. I've seen black, burgundy, dark navy and grey used with the black cherry felt and it all looks good to me.

On the other hand, what you have described sounds perfectly amazing. So, have I mixed up your mind any??? I know how hard it is to make decisions when it comes to a custom hat.

Hey Tukwila thanks for the feedback. A burgundy ribbon might accent the red in the felt. The crown and brim are based on another hat I had made that I like very much.
e8943240d90efeaeb14757bce9e52154.jpg

I’m thinking about mixing it up a bit though. How high a crown do you think would work with my 6’-1” frame, and how wide a brim with the (angular?) shape of my face?
[emoji120]

Hey Tukwila thanks for the feedback. A burgundy ribbon might accent the red in the felt. The crown and brim are based on another hat I had made that I like very much.
e8943240d90efeaeb14757bce9e52154.jpg

I’m thinking about mixing it up a bit though. How high a crown do you think would work with my 6’-1” frame, and how wide a brim with the (angular?) shape of my face?
[emoji120]

I know this wasn’t addressed to me, but why not go up just a bit to 2 5/8 on the brim so it won’t look too drastic to you? As for the crown, go tall and you can always lower it by changing the crease. I like them tall and have settled on six inches.

This is my Black Cherry that I received a couple days ago.

6cab55a0291a37e5428d7be1712e3100.png

2de0cb2b5e9da532d163fb65981791b3.png

The brim binding is very narrow black grosgrain and the binding thread is burgundy to match the crown ribbon. I couldn’t be happier, but lots of combinations work well.

Brent

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Very nice hat! I’m going with 2 5/8 rim, 4 1/2 crown diamond crease by Art, 1 inch burgundy ribbon, burgundy binding.
How tall would make the crown open?
Thanks for all the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner