Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat sightings in Japan

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
When I was in Japan recently I noticed that all of the department stores that I went to (and I went to many) had fedoras for sale. In the men's clothing dept. I was always able to find Borsalinos, at least. Also spotted some Herbert Johnsons and a german brand whose name escapes me. Nice soft felt in a variety of colors. The prices were steep; between $800-$1000 for the Borsalinos and about $400 for the HJs. Fortunately for me they don't make a 7 3/4 so I didn't even have to think about buying a hat. Also, my Art Fawcett hats are as good and better than those and bargain priced to boot.

Most of the actual sightings of hats being worn were on the heads of elderly Japanese men. I few times I found myself standing next to a gentleman who was dressed almost the same as me; fedora,suit and overcoat. I wonder if they noticed and what they thought about a gaijin (Japanese for foreigner) half their age looking like that ?:p

I did one time spot a young gentleman of about 25-30 yrs. wearing a nice vintage fedora. Wide brimmed,but with a shortish 1950's crown. Rather like the hat Alain Delon wore in "Le Samourai". By the way, Delon is an extremely popular actor in Japan.

Finally, while visiting the "Showa Museum" in Tokyo(the Showa era is the period of time between April 29,1901 until Jan. 7, 1989,the lifespan of the Emperor Hirohito) there was an exhibit of clothing from the Showa era which included several soft felt hats displayed behind glass. All in all, while certainly a rare thing ,I did spot a few fedoras and the wearing of such is likely more accepted in Japan than the U.S. at this time.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Perhaps I'll have an oppurtunity to visit Japan over my spring break...it's so close to Taiwan. We'll probably be going to Osaka or Kyoto, as opposed to Tokyo...I think there's more old culture there. Besides, we've been to Tokyo twice (although I was only 10 or 11...I was still in my Pokemon phase at the time and quite a Japanophile)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr Rover, if you go to Kyoto there are quite a few antique stores around.Kobe also has good stores.

Russ

One of the Regulars
I've been observing the hat scene in Tokyo since 1990 when I first started wearing brimmed hats here. Back then I could find practically no hat wearers other than myself and the ocassional old man. Then a few dressy wide brim straw hats appeared about 10 years ago thanks to pro golfers.

Suddenly since last year there have been more fedoras in the stores and on heads every where I go. One large store which had never sold fedoras in the past suddenly had a whole wall of them. Two weeks ago I was walking down Takeshita Dori in the Harajuku part of Tokyo, which is a street where young people gather on weekends to display their latest fashions -- extremely crowded on weekends. I was amazed at the number of fedoras I saw; dozens in about an hour. All of them were the short brim type as seen on entertainers, and most were fabric and not felt, but I did see quite a few wool felt fedoras as well. Nobody stares at me now, wondering why I'm wearing a hat. Now they probably just wonder why my hat is so big.

As mentioned above, they are incredibly expensive here. As a rule, if I can buy non-Japanese clothes (hats, jackets, trousers, boots, etc) on the internet from overseas, I can get it for much cheaper -- even with shipping fees figured in.

Oh, and there is at least one copy of Classic Style in Tokyo. Mine finally got delivered. :)

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Mr. Rover said:
I was still in my Pokemon phase at the time and quite a Japanophile

If a person interested in all things Chinese is a Sinophile, would a person interested in Japan be a Nippophile?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Nipponophile, perhaps.
My cat is a Nippophile (and yours too, if you have one). :)

Sefton said:
All in all, while certainly a rare thing ,I did spot a few fedoras and the wearing of such is likely more accepted in Japan than the U.S. at this time.
More popular, perhaps. I don't know that fedora-wearing is exactly "not accepted" in the US. I've never been refused a table in a restaurant or asked to use a side entrance because I was wearing one. Nor have I been set upon and harassed by ruffians, probably because they and I don't frequent the same places.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
DOUGLAS said:
Mr Rover, if you go to Kyoto there are quite a few antique stores around.Kobe also has good stores.

Exciting! I love Japanese antiques....I just saw a Stetson fedora licensed to Mitsukoshi, the famous Japanese dept. store, from the 40s. That was bizarre! Also, the most beautiful matching Japanese zippo lighter and cigarette case set from 1953---I'm getting :eek:fftopic: The only problem is I may have them de-ghostified...too many Japanese ghost stories here in Taiwan.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Japanophile and hats

Well Japan has now been swept with hat wearing fashion. A Japanese hat shop called CA4LA *kashila* now has a branch in London!

ghostdog

New in Town
Russ said:
I've been observing the hat scene in Tokyo since 1990 when I first started wearing brimmed hats here. Back then I could find practically no hat wearers other than myself and the ocassional old man. Then a few dressy wide brim straw hats appeared about 10 years ago thanks to pro golfers.

Suddenly since last year there have been more fedoras in the stores and on heads every where I go. One large store which had never sold fedoras in the past suddenly had a whole wall of them. Two weeks ago I was walking down Takeshita Dori in the Harajuku part of Tokyo, which is a street where young people gather on weekends to display their latest fashions -- extremely crowded on weekends. I was amazed at the number of fedoras I saw; dozens in about an hour. All of them were the short brim type as seen on entertainers, and most were fabric and not felt, but I did see quite a few wool felt fedoras as well. Nobody stares at me now, wondering why I'm wearing a hat. Now they probably just wonder why my hat is so big.

As mentioned above, they are incredibly expensive here. As a rule, if I can buy non-Japanese clothes (hats, jackets, trousers, boots, etc) on the internet from overseas, I can get it for much cheaper -- even with shipping fees figured in.

Oh, and there is at least one copy of Classic Style in Tokyo. Mine finally got delivered. :)

I think with youngsters, the fedora wearing trend (especially the short brim type) is influenced mainly by american hip-hop culture. I guess this trend is being followed worldwide. It's some kind of pimp-gangsta thing I guess!
I actually saw one individual in my own country wearing the 60's short-brim version last Saturday night. I've seen a few wearing the same style of hat (usually in maroon) in Malaysia, and by the way they dress, they've got some hip-hop vibe going on..:)
I've seen a lot of photos of Japanese pop stars recently wearing the short-brim fedora. The music mainly associated with these stars seems to be the urban type (hip-hop/r&b).

Russ

One of the Regulars
This past year has seen a hat explosion in Tokyo. You can't find a fashionable clothing store that does not have fedora style hats displayed. Again, most are small brim types, made of cloth, and a few wool felts can be seen here and there. And it goes without saying that these hats are appearing on a lot more heads now.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Russ said:
This past year has seen a hat explosion in Tokyo. You can't find a fashionable clothing store that does not have fedora style hats displayed. Again, most are small brim types, made of cloth, and a few wool felts can be seen here and there. And it goes without saying that these hats are appearing on a lot more heads now.
I think Johnny Depp is the major influence, especially on Takashita Dori and other places youngsters favor.lol lol lol

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
kabuto said:
This weekend I visited the newly opened Mitsui Outlet Park in Iruma, and they have shop called Boushi-ya, operated by hat retailer Kurihara.

http://www.kurihara-corp.com/en/index.html

It was packed with people, but all the hats seemed to be on the relatively inexpensive side, and there didn't seem to be any fur felt hats.

I've noticed that not only do stingy brims dominate, but men seem to wear hats that I would consider a couple sizes too small, perched way up on the crown of their heads (women wear 'em 4 sizes small!).

I'd love to see some photos of the small hat style. Also I love the Kurihara corp. slogan on the web site: "Hat is Flower"...
If you'll excuse me I have to go and water my hat now.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Sefton said:
slogan on the web site: "Hat is Flower"...
If you'll excuse me I have to go and water my hat now.
When something is equated as flower in Japanese, it means that it is a beautiful thing, or that it is at its pinnacle of power. :)
In this case, I guess you could translate it as "Hats are beautiful" or "Hats are power."

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
LaMedicine is totally right on about the Japanese Johnny Depp influence. Here where I live (the East Village of New York City) there is an ever-increasing population of young Japanese folks. There are about forty dudes I see on a regular basis who wear their hair long under a vintage fedora and horn-rimmed glasses (usually with a rumpled blazer or sportcoat) ala Depp-san. They even wear the Mexican skull rings too.

feltfan

Ginza, Tokyo, October 2007

Here's a hastily shot picture. I saw a lot of bad
hats in Tokyo.

2436699945_1df8765c9f.jpg

See the line in the middle of the crown of the hat
on the left? It's a zipper.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
lol lol lol
Don't expect anything vintage/classy out of these young fashionistas :rolleyes:
As I said, they started out Johnny Depp style, and then went on to develop their own style a la Harajuku (I take it the shot was taken there, the background looks Harajuku-y:D ) and they don't give a :eek: :rolleyes: :( :eek: about the FL or whomever/whatever else set the fashion standards, they are their own rules. :p

Oh, and if you dropped the name "Alain Delon" to these youngstahs, all you'll get is a ????? look. Too bad. (Not that Delon is my favorite actor.)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Sure, agree, but these kids have potential...I mean how many of us were wearing any hats at their age...it all starts off some way. Remember your first hat? Gotta start some where...how many US kids are wearing any type of hats??

Dr Doran

kabuto said:
Among women, I have to say, hat wearing in nearly universal, with bucket hats prevailing, pulled down to keep the sun off their faces. Combined with the ubiquitous hospital face masks and sunglasses, you can't see their faces at all.

You actually see both young and old women with parasols to a certain extent in summer -- not common, but nobody bats an eye at it.

Can I see photos? Sounds interesting.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
kabuto said:
You actually see both young and old women with parasols to a certain extent in summer -- not common, but nobody bats an eye at it.
Oh, I'd say parasols are very common during hot weather. As a matter of fact, they are a MUST in the hot humid Japanese summer. At least where I live/frequent, every other woman carries parasols. Almost all my friends have, and use parasols. So do I, except, I often forget mine when in a rush, and curse myself once I am out in the sun. :p In fact, you see women start sporting them around this time of the year, once the UV gets strong. One of the most popular gifts for Mother's Day are parasols.:) Around this time of the year, if you go to department stores and check their umbrella section (umbrellas are a must here, too) you'll find that their parasol section is fully stocked, and expanded until the summer's over.
Incidentally, hats for women here are merely for keeping out of the sun, and not getting sun burned, so essentially, their use is for the same reasons as parasols. Besides, in the rush hour trains, it's absolutely impossible to wear any type of hats unless they are close fitting without a brim, because it's going to get in the way of everybody else, and yourself as well. Parasols on the other hand, can be folded and held close to you, so they are easier to deal with in the crush.
The only *decent* hat you'll see on Japanese women's heads are probably the ones worn by members of the Imperial Family, and their attendees.
As for kids, a lot of private schools include hats in their uniforms for primary school kids, so you'll see a lot of these kinds, too.
And since it's April (school year here is April-March) the new first graders are wearing yellow hats (for traffic safety) so you'll see lots of small kids with yellow bobbing heads and leather bags on their backs. Oh, yeah, kindergartens often have hats as part of their uniforms, too. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo