Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and personal taste

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
When searching for a hat, are there specific things you look for?
Like a certain style, color, ect.?
Also, are there guidelines, or certain rules in which one should follow in picking out a hat to best compliment the shape of the face? Or is it simply picking out whatever catches one's fancy?
Most hats I absolutely adore, but at this stage there are only a few styles that seem to look 'right' on me and makes me feel comfortable having on. (most of mine (I think) are late 40's-50's).
Colors; right now all of mine are black but am in the process of changing that! I still can't see myself in any bright colors but I love charcoal, hunter green, and camel.

Feraud

Bartender
I look for fit, style, color, and brand. Certain hats look better with particular outfits.
It is not unusual for people to feel uncomfortable when wearing a new style for the first time. A brimmed hat will generally feel too wide until you get used to it. Pick a hat and color you feel comfortable with and progress from there.
Experience will give you a good perspective to judge what you like or dislike about certain shapes and colors.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
To become more comfortable wearing hats, try wearing them around the house or to casual events. If you're like me, soon you'll feel naked without one!

Matt

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I don't leave the house with a hat I feel like everyone is staring at me.

epic610

One of the Regulars
Easy...

i look for one which will make me "bulletproof" . . . where i can walk into traffic and everyone will fell obligated to stop ....and when wearing it everyone will stop and address me as "Sir".

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mysterygal said:
there are only a few styles that seem to look 'right' on me.
Me too. I've learned the range of brim/crown dimensions that look best on me and I generally stay within those parameters. Not to say that I wont wear the occasional stingy or beach hat, just for giggles. ;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Me too. I've learned the range of brim/crown dimensions that look best on me and I generally stay within those parameters. Not to say that I wont wear the occasional stingy or beach hat, just for giggles. ;)
Exactly, I need something with some brim...maybe counteracts me being petite? Anyways, the Audrey Hepburn look is what I love. Evening hats are on my lists as well. I think what's hard wrapping myself around wearing one is that NO ONE wears one around here anymore. But with viewing classic movies, they really made the outfit. This is where I get excited as well, it would be great to start seeing other's start copying the same look. It's like we've gone away from how women (and men) have took great pains and care to look great from head to toe.

I've got it down to a select range of brim widths/crown heights that look good. Obviously these are aesthetic judgements and must therefore vary from person to person. Generally, i'm looking for about 2.5" brim and 5-6" crown - good 30s dimensions with ~1.25"-1.5" ribbon. For example, the thin ribbon hats just don't work on me (caveat: except, for some inexplicable reason, my 50s Stratoliner).

And somehow, browns seem to complement my pale-ish, but not pure white, skin.

bk

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like wider brims than narrower but have more narrow ones. You need probably 3-4 colors to spread across use with all clothes. Crown height is less critical for me. I do only buy beaver felt, no wool. And by careful Ebaying I have never spent more than $20 for a hat with most at $10-15. This includes name brand good quality ones. Most I have received and found that they had obviously never been worn!:fedora:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm still gun shy about buying anything off of ebay. I guess I'm the type that needs to look at the item that I'm purchasing myself (the cynical side of me is wondering whether the person is ripping me off!)
Thanks to MK, he showed me this great place in Portland that makes custom made women's hats, this lady does an abolute fantastic job :)
Vintage stores I'm finding are a bit of a hit and miss, They always have a decent supply of hats around, but finding one that you like and in good shape (though I wonder if some hats can be easily repaired or is it just better to pass on it?).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
After having left my first Stetson fedora in a cab a couple of years ago, I just bought a new one last Sunday. I tried on a Borsalino Alllesandria, and when I looked in the mirror, my only reaction was that I should be holding a Tommy gun to pull it off. As the last several days have gone by, and I'm getting used to my new hat, that Borsalino keeps haunting me. I realized that just wearing my new hat is giving me a subtle feeling of confidence. And now I want to boldly go where my head has never gone before. I saw a nice high crowned hat on Ebay the other day, bid it up a little before backing off. But now I want to explore more, how can I put it, snazzy looks on my skull. Yeah, I'm hooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran