Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats

rippy444

Familiar Face
I want to thank you gents for all of your replies. The wife and I are not at war over the hats. As most of you know and have said. They just don't understand all the details of having a few prize hats. I do wear all of my hats. some more that others. The more I wear out, the more complements I get. My first purchase was a lot of Three Stetson fedoras. I got them shipped for $42.00 total. I bought three hats from some hat store for $20.00 a piece shipped. I bought a cow boy hat for $12.00 shipped. I got a 1942 Brown fedora for $15.00 shipped. I soon ran upon some homburg hats, I paid $30.00 each shipped. Four Baileys in all I paid $10.00 each shipped for two old straw hats. They are on the shelf. Not to wear. They are very brittle but nice. A lot of the hats I bought, no one bid on so I got them at coat with $5.00 shipping. The balance of my purchases were older fedoras that ended up to be quite nice. My hat size is 6 7/8 . That may be the trick. The most I have paid for a hat is for my Borsalino $55.00 shipped. Not part of th $400.00. Thanks--RIP:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

MCrider

A-List Customer
rippy444 said:
My hat size is 6 7/8 . That may be the trick.

That IS the trick. If I had that size, I would be cleaning up on ebay! Instead I have the more popular 7 3/8 head size so ebay is not my friend anymore. But on the good side, I've bought a few more brand new hats than I thought I would!

As for the wife, I did what was mentioned by Cigarband. Took my wife gently by the elbow, went to the walk in closet and pointed to her multi tiered shoe rack. No words were needed.

rippy444

Familiar Face
too many hats.

MCrider--I was laid up for 9 months due to an car motorcycle accident. The wife says "get a hobby" Guess what I picked. Do you think hats ? I do tend to go over board on anything I do . So 22 hats in a short period didn't phase the wife at all. When I built her a 1979 CM400A Hondamatic, I bought three other bikes to get the job done. I ended up with a complete 1978 CB400A Honda Hawk and sold it for $1400.00, I paid $650.00 for all three and $ 200.00 for a paint job. I was on the CM400A when I got hit. I sold the CM and all the CB parts for $450.00. Paid $450.00 for the Cm to start. Maybe I can sell a few hats .You are right. The wife's shoe and clothes closet puts mine to shame. I would never point that out to her directly. I have been married for 43 years to the same sweet woman. She gives me my space and I take the rest.
Do you think she minds me putting my hats on the top shelf of her closet ? It is too high for her to reach. Ointment in the wound I would guess.She is all about Easter and the grand kids (7) so I am free to roam around the cabin. Thanks--RIP:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Dewhurst

Practically Family
rippy444 said:

Aha! The secret revealed.

I'm a quasi 7 1/4 - 7 3/8 so, as with MCrider, eBay is not my friend. Only occasionally, and then it spits cider in my eye again.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
rippy444 said:
Lucky devil! :rage: I'm another unfortunate 7 3/8 head. By no means large but just far too average sized. In the nearly two years that I've worn fedoras I have aquired no vintage hats other than a homburg which I purchased from a lounger on Monday (hopefully to arrive by Tuesday next week).

My parents consider me to have too many hats at the moment. I have three fedoras which fit me, only one of which is worn regularly. That plus a deerstalker. I have not yet told them I have a homburg coming my way. Perhaps they should read this thread so I can convince them that I'm hat poor.

Magus

Practically Family
Don't get too stressed all you 7 3/8 folks. I am one too and with patience and careful buying I have a great collection of beauties and a few beaters though it did take me a few years to accumulate them. Now I search for specifics, a replacement for me Lee "trinity" I lost in Budapest, a Stratoliner, a Fed IV, maybe a Whippet. Other than that its just whatever catches my eye. I just got a beautiful Open weave Panama from Robert that I LOVE. ($25 shipped...with a box!) When someone asks me how many I have, my wife chimes in with a smile and says, "They have their own room." Which they DO. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic