Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Well sorry, i thought you perfectly knew the hat world and the manufacturer's offering.
For instance, I thought that it had become common knowledge that anyone willing to have something close to Indiana Jones' hat had to turn to the Akubra Federa IV Deluxe OC.
Here the hat looks close to an Akubra Cattleman but I thought some fine eyes could point me to something even closer

We’re not all that well-versed on the modern offerings. Many of us enjoy modern hats, but this place was built around the golden era so we focus on vintage and modern hats that are similar to vintage (a lot of custom hats).

When I think of an Indy hat the Akubra Federation is not the hat that first come to mind. It’s a rugged hat and can make a decent approximation of the various Indy hats, but it’s not the highest quality hat and it isn’t close enough in dimensions/blocking to satisfy the purists. It’s like saying the new Corvette is a close copy of a Ferrari. If you aren’t a car person I can see why someone would say that, but it’s obvious even at a distance that it’s not close to those who are into cars. Sorry you haven’t test received the info you were looking for yet.

Doesn’t the Akubra Cattleman have grommeted ventilation holes on the side of the crown? I really didn’t see anything on the hat you’re looking at the says Akubra to me. It could be, but it sure isn’t clear to me.

Last edited:
No it was not sarcastic ! thanks for your replies. e
It looks like a run of the mill western hat. 3 1/2" brim, 4 1/2" crown at the front. pick up a used light brown western in your size and have some fun distressing it. Look on line and you can find a leather hat band that is similar or commission one from a leather worker. Sand a hole in the crown, use a strong saline solution to replicate sweat stains, Fuller's Earth to replicate the dirt. You can create your own version of this for .25 on the dollar(or less) over buying it new.

I do not understand this sentence.
What is a mill western hat ? I googled it but i'm not getting a specific style
Thank you

It probably doesn’t translate. Run-of-the-mill is an expression meaning common place and ordinary. Something that is just another of many similar items. It’s a plain and nondescript item.

Several hats from lots of makers could give you the same basic hat. It’s a common shape and proportions so a run-of-the-mill western hat would work for a donor for you to reshape and distress.

emerizy

New in Town
Hello all!

Thanks for the invite! I had a question about this hat I found in my mother's attic. Her father worked at a department store in Rupert, Idaho from the end of world war II until the mid '80s. I have put a fair amount of work into trying to figure out where this hat comes from. I have reached out to Fedora and Akubra and neither claim that it is one of theirs. As you can see there are no markings outside of the two crests on the inside of the hat. The inside of the rim does have a serial number (C 52456). It does look exactly like an Akubra Campdraft but, as I said, they say it is not one of theirs. The only other item pertinent to this mystery are the stamps shown in the picture. One stamp was put out in 1954 and the other in 1955.

What do you all think?
20230727_071414.jpg
20230727_071418.jpg
Screenshot_20230727_090027_Reddit.jpg
16910011944516633319553391804504.jpg
Screenshot_20230727_090027_Reddit.jpg
20230727_071418.jpg
Screenshot_20230727_090022_Reddit.jpg

Hello all!

Thanks for the invite! I had a question about this hat I found in my mother's attic. Her father worked at a department store in Rupert, Idaho from the end of world war II until the mid '80s. I have put a fair amount of work into trying to figure out where this hat comes from. I have reached out to Fedora and Akubra and neither claim that it is one of theirs. As you can see there are no markings outside of the two crests on the inside of the hat. The inside of the rim does have a serial number (C 52456). It does look exactly like an Akubra Campdraft but, as I said, they say it is not one of theirs. The only other item pertinent to this mystery are the stamps shown in the picture. One stamp was put out in 1954 and the other in 1955.

What do you all think? View attachment 536868 View attachment 536867 View attachment 536866 View attachment 536869 View attachment 536866 View attachment 536867 View attachment 536865

What is written on the sweatband?

Any other tags or stickers behind the sweat? Maybe a union label?

emerizy

New in Town
20230802_135904.jpg
20230802_135845.jpg
20230802_135841.jpg
Only things written on the outside of the sweat are "Resistol Self Conforming" and "Three X Beaver". There is one other marking that looks like something stuck to the outside aftermarket with numbers (62404). Also, I just noticed that there is a couple stamp looking things right near these numbers, no I cannot tell what they are.

emerizy

New in Town

emerizy

New in Town
Well, that's a Resistol, lol.

The brand still exists today under the Hatco umbrella, though they are entirely western hats now. For more see our thread The Resistol Roundup. Depending on the dimensions, there's a possibility that is their San Antonio model, which was akin to the Stetson Open Road. The plastic tip liner means no earlier than late 50's.
OMG. How embarrassing. I just assumed that was a fancy name for the type of sweat band used. I didn't even consider that this would be the brand of the hat! LOL. Thanks again for all the help all!

emerizy

New in Town

The brand still exists today under the Hatco umbrella, though they are entirely western hats now. For more see our thread The Resistol Roundup. Depending on the dimensions, there's a possibility that is their San Antonio model, which was akin to the Stetson Open Road. The plastic tip liner means no earlier than late 50's.

I just tried to look at the Resistol Roundup thread. It looks like it died in 2009. Any ideas on how I can price this thing? It doesn't fit me. :(

Hello all!

What do you all think? View attachment 536868 View attachment 536867 View attachment 536866 View attachment 536869 View attachment 536866 View attachment 536867 View attachment 536865

Do you know what size this Resistol is? The size makes a huge difference in the price and anyone considering buying it will need to know the size. Resistols of this era should have the size stamped on the reverse side of the leather sweatband, and the stamp is usually in red ink. There may also be a factory label glued to the felt behind the sweatband. Thanks!

emerizy

New in Town
Do you know what size this Resistol is? The size makes a huge difference in the price and anyone considering buying it will need to know the size. Resistols of this era should have the size stamped on the reverse side of the leather sweatband, and the stamp is usually in red ink. There may also be a factory label glued to the felt behind the sweatband. Thanks!
Also, when you say this era, what era are you talking about?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Did you pull back the white insie liner to look for any labels or grease pencil writing? The size label referred to above is under that liner, if it is there. If the hat was ever cleaned and reblocked then the sweatband could have been removed and the cleaning may have washed off any writing and the label may not have been re-attached.

Unfortunately,there are no numbers anywhere on this hat outside of the stamp that says C 52456. So that's a bummer.

Hats are almost impossible to sell without a size. It’s like shoes: no matter how much you like them you won’t want them if they don’t fit.

The liner looks to be a replacement. It gets hard to date hats when they are not original. There is also no reason to think that the box and associated stamps are original to the hat as it doesn’t appear to be a Resistol box. Please let us know if you find the factory label glued to the felt behind the leather sweatband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy