Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new2hats

A-List Customer
Why, if you're the owner of the hat in your avatar, I can't imagine you ever needing anything else!

That is a panama hat. Love those dimensions for panamas too. I am thinking of fur felt. Chewing on getting a custom hat over vintages.

I find that some of the vintage Dobbs and Knox stink for me- even though they are vintage, they do not fit me well.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
crown at sides: 4.5 in
crown in front: 4 in
brim length: 2 1/8

Anyone know of any hats that look like this?
There are dozens of hats from various makers that offer those dimensions. Have you looked online?

krasher

New in Town
found some vintage cowboy hats - need help dating them part 1

Not sure if I should post separate threads for each hat - just got home from a longish US-trip and brought back a few hats!

- Stetson 7x Shudde Bros hat - the youngest of the lot, no labels behind the sweatband, bought from a vendor at the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekender
7x.jpg

7x2.jpg

7x3.jpg

7x5.jpg

- black Stetson Nutria Quality, bought on fleabay
nutriablx.jpg

nutriabl2.jpg

nutriabl3.jpg

nutriabl4.jpg

nutriabl5.jpg

more in part 2,
any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kescha

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Shudde is late '60s, early '70s. Made after Stetson switched 7X away from being a "clear beaver" designation, and with a newer style stamp and liner, but still with a brown sweatband.

Nutria is 1940s. The style of reeding on the sweatband makes me think that it is postwar. The style of Stetson logo dates it prior to the early 1950s.

Last edited:

krasher

New in Town
part 2 -

- Stetson Panama Straw Hat, made in Ecuador, another fleabay find
panama.jpg

panama2.jpg

panama3.jpg

panama4.jpg

panama5.jpg

- Pilgrim Westerner hat, more fleabay
pilgrim.jpg

pilgrimold.jpg

pilgrim1.jpg

pilgrim2.jpg

pilgrim3.jpg

krasher

New in Town
Thanks again for the replies - here is the last one

- dark red/burgundy 12x Miller Bros 101 Ranch hat, found at an antique mall in Phoenix
miller.jpg

miller1.jpg

miller2.jpg

miller3.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Kescha

That number is the reorder stamp - matches the orange label on the inside of the hat body. I would think all save the 7X are post war - 1950s somewhere.

new2hats

A-List Customer
There are dozens of hats from various makers that offer those dimensions. Have you looked online?

Yes. Lots of sites don't have all the dimensions listed even on the newer hats, tho some have brim size. I have bought all kinds from ebay including the vintage dobbs, etc. Was just asking if there were any particular hat kinds with smaller dimensions than what is popular right now. I think the 5" crown height is what is "in".

HatFinder

New in Town
Vintage Dobbs Hat: Looking for more info

i found a Vintage Dobbs Fifth Avenue Hat.
I would like to learn more about it.
i did some research on the company but cannot find specifics on this particular hat.
I am hoping someone out there can help.

Lukeiswho

New in Town
Help a noob: Identify these hats!

Hello. I'm a first time poster here. I have a couple questions, and I was told this was place to ask them.

I'm currently wearing a hat I purchased over 10 years ago, and I'm trying to find a replacement for it. As in, another of the same style... but I don't know what it's even called, or how to find another one. It's an olive green "flat cap". It's different than most 'off-the-shelf', similar style hats... in that it has a slightly large bulge in the back/top. Most hats of this style don't fit my head the way I'd like. It's Czech made. That's about all I know. Below are a few pics.

GreenHat.jpg

GreenHat2.JPG

GreenHat3.jpg

The other hat in question is one that Jeremy Brett wore as Sherlock Holmes in "The Final Problem". (Photo below) Again, I don't know the proper name, so I don't know how to search for one. I saw an ad that referred to something similar as a 'Stetsonian'... but I understand that hats can be shaped/bashed to custom specs... I'd just like to find one I could try on before I dive into a new hat.

SherlockFinalProblemHat.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Luke

Lukeiswho

New in Town
Wow! Thank you guys. That was quick!

Now I'm off to try to find a hatter in Phoenix or (possibly L.A.) who carries a Homburg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21