Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
With Himel, he's perhaps a better historian of jackets, and is able to find overloooked styles and reintroduce them, gain popularity before it gets popular (define hipster), etc. He turned me onto Cossacks for example.

100%. I will say that very few and only seemingly 'premium' makers tend to do a model like the J31. Maybe it's also not as contemporary a style that makes sense to mass produce.

My overall point though is that at those prices, it's no longer either or, because high quality is expected, and there has to be some romance to it, whether it's a master craftsman dutifully making you a one off piece, or an artist creating a work just for you. We are all special little snowflakes and like feeling as such, which is why one would spend this level of money.

Yup, for my money, I'd appreciate some indulgence of my snowflakiness. In this case, the artist is channeling the customer's vision, for a lot of money. That role of the artist being the medium is nothing without a good rapport or communication with his or her client.

If you're an artist and can't hack the communication portion, hire a producer or project manager!

The comparison I keep drawing to is Thedi. They both have a similar ethos to their companies, but with Thedi you are getting a style that is more uniquely Thedi, and as far as I know he's making the jackets or is intimately involved with the process.

I have heard mixed things about Thedi, but a lot of good reports where he went the extra mile with attention paid to the customer. I scoured his site before deciding to go with something else, mainly because I wasn't 100% on any specific model he offered, but they look great.

Bottom line is at that price, his behavior is inexcusable. It's flat out arrogant and poor business management, and is the type of behavior consumers are leery of.

Yes! I think he started off a decent-seeming dude, but he either stopped caring or lost track of my order, to the point where I had to step in and bring it back to his attention. At that stage, he should have gotten the exact situation with the jacket and lead time, and communicated with me directly, instead of making more estimates that quickly changed with his tune.

The vintage off white deer/elk was a nice touch. Elevates the whole thing.

Thanks very much!

I originally inquired about this jacket in Pearl White Shinki back in late 2020 or early 2021, I can't help but wonder how that would have looked. That for sure would have been more durable, stain resistant, stiffer.

The deerskin really softens the whole vibe of the jacket, coupled with a very futuristic looking pattern it feels very 'personal' if that makes sense -- I can't put my finger on it, to Himel's credit, the jacket already feels really 'me,' whatever tf that means. It's also super comfy because of the deerskin and lining. I do think in the end, I will love this jacket, once I get over trying to keep it clean.

Last edited:

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
That FW is epic!
E670B61E-2AF6-4898-ADF7-5849CD53F350.jpeg

Hell yeah, that's awesome. I love my two Schotts, but the Freewheelers just looks fkn effortless cool.

That reminds me, I need to take some fit pics of this Himel!

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
The deerskin really softens the whole vibe of the jacket, coupled with a very futuristic looking pattern it feels very 'personal' if that makes sense -- I can't put my finger on it, to Himel's credit, the jacket already feels really 'me,' whatever tf that means. It's also super comfy because of the deerskin and lining. I do think in the end, I will love this jacket, once I get over trying to keep it clean.

Despite everything I said, end of the day though he did deliver a jacket that by all accounts is what you paid for. It's a jacket that you gave some input to get it just to your liking, and a hide that you probably will never ever come across in the wild, heck maybe even on the internet not including Canuck Panda who seems to have everything, lol. So it's a uniquely you piece, made to a high standard, and you should enjoy it!

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
Despite everything I said, end of the day though he did deliver a jacket that by all accounts is what you paid for. It's a jacket that you gave some input to get it just to your liking, and a hide that you probably will never ever come across in the wild, heck maybe even on the internet not including Canuck Panda who seems to have everything, lol. So it's a uniquely you piece, made to a high standard, and you should enjoy it!

Thanks, I really appreciate this. Despite my shit talking of Himel, I really like the jacket itself. I also am very happy I posted this review as no matter how 'me' I feel the jacket is, it's always really encouraging to get so many awesome responses to it here on FL!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Why, could you elaborate?

A vanson doesn't cost $250 by the way.
My Vanson cost me that much and it is a heavily flawed jacket. It's not "worth" any more than $250. I'm just using it as an example here. I'd take it over 2 Fine Creek jackets just because the pattern is so much better.
What if I told you there was a jacket that was equivalent to your Vanson in terms of pattern comfort, and it was made in premium leather like Badalssi/Shinki, for under $1.5K. Would you consider to add it to the line up next to your Bodie?

I am also searching for this jacket. Haha.
Yes of course I would. Are you talking about something specific?
Jake, would you not agree that only three months ago, this quote would've read "I'd also take my $(insert price tag) (insert brand tag) over two Vansons and four Schotts?" ;)

Furthermore, why is it, would you say, that many TFL members happily & with an equal amount of love, own Freewheelers, RMC's, FLC's, Vansons AND Schotts, holding them in equal merit?

You have just discovered that Vanson makes a good jacket. It took you a while because as with any brand, prior to acquiring the absolute gem that you got rn, coupla Vansons that you handled didn't work out for you and that's cool.

Same way, some day you will get a hold of a good Schott that will make you realize a good Schott is the reason why aforementioned members, alongside many other people, have these absolutely stunning jackets hanging on the same rack, between the best vintage pieces & the absolute top shelf of Japanese repros.

Vanson, by the by, does not cost $250. It cost $600+. Custom Vanson jacket costs $1K+. They are not cheaper jackets. They are very expensive jackets.
No, I wouldnt say so. I don't know why you forgot, but I've actually liked Vanson for quite some time and have said so on this forum. So no, your assumption is a bit off. I only hadn't found a Vanson with the right leather/fit for me. For quite some time I've wanted a Vanson because I knew the patterns were good. However, your general idea is not far off. I'd take my new Cal jacket over most Japanese jackets.
However, he is looking for "terms of pattern comfort" and I'm afraid at least the old patterns from FL can't keep up with Vanson on these points at the moment. Maybe the new patterns are better.
But only theory, because I don't own any Vanson (they didn't answer my mail anymore ;)).
Yeah thats partly why I'm just satisfied eith my Vanson and canceled my FL order.

My Vanson cost me that much and it is a heavily flawed jacket. It's not "worth" any more than $250. I'm just using it as an example here. I'd take it over 2 Fine Creek jackets just because the pattern is so much better.

Yes of course I would. Are you talking about something specific?

No, I wouldnt say so. I don't know why you forgot, but I've actually liked Vanson for quite some time and have said so on this forum. So no, your assumption is a bit off. I only hadn't found a Vanson with the right leather/fit for me. For quite some time I've wanted a Vanson because I knew the patterns were good. However, your general idea is not far off. I'd take my new Cal jacket over most Japanese jackets.

Yeah thats partly why I'm just satisfied eith my Vanson and canceled my FL order.

Did I miss the Cal?

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
No. I just haven't posted it yet. Only just got it from @JCSD
The Cal is probably my favorite from you so far. The short length, the practical, generous top block. No-nonsense leather with what looks like nice patina and that epic collar to boot. Don't take this the wrong way, but it takes you out of the realm of "perfect-perfect" into "What works, works-perfect" if that makes ANY sense :D

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
The Cal is probably my favorite from you so far. The short length, the practical, generous top block. No-nonsense leather with what looks like nice patina and that epic collar to boot. Don't take this the wrong way, but it takes you out of the realm of "perfect-perfect" into "What works, works-perfect" if that makes ANY sense :D
Thanks! Don't worry I totally agree sigh what you're saying. The Cal and the Vanson have given me a lot of re-thinking to do on my jackets and just leather jackets in general.
That Cal looked great on @JCSD . Brown, right? I am surprised he sold it, but it went to the right recipient.
It's actually black. He actually gifted it to me which is incredibly generous and I'm really glad he did because it's perhaps an even more game changing jacket for me than the Vanson

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I originally inquired about this jacket in Pearl White Shinki back in late 2020 or early 2021, I can't help but wonder how that would have looked. That for sure would have been more durable, stain resistant, stiffer.
I think the deerskin you ended up with was probably a much better choice in the end. With a little bit of wear it will begin to darken and patina naturally and you won’t have to so worry so much about every little spot or stain. A white jacket on the other hand either looks clean and pristine or it looks dirty, very little middle ground.

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
fit pics

Without further ado, fit pics! They should indeed be mandatory.

I finally wore the jacket out of the house into Manhattan at the office yesterday. Had my wife snap a few pics when I got back. She's heard the whole saga several times and I'm sure she's happy I've turned to you folks to talk about my jacket frivolities.

20220429_113245.jpg

20220429_113359.jpg

20220429_113511.jpg

20220429_113614.jpg

20220429_113654.jpg

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
fit pics

I finally wore the jacket out of the house into Manhattan at the office yesterday. Had my wife snap a few pics when I got back. She's heard the whole saga several times and I'm sure she's happy I've turned to you folks to talk about my jacket frivolities.

View attachment 421943

View attachment 421944

View attachment 421945

View attachment 421946

View attachment 421947
Awesome! I'd high five you on the street!

fit pics

View attachment 421943

View attachment 421944

View attachment 421945

View attachment 421946

View attachment 421947

Awesome! Excellent. That hide wrinkly. As I thought, white leather jacket isn't obscene at all but it's a bit of a statement. Goes better with the sneakers. It'd be a bit cosplaying with engineers tho that's cool too.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fit pics

View attachment 421943

View attachment 421944

View attachment 421945

View attachment 421946

View attachment 421947
Judging by the grin, the jacket must really be perfect ;)
Congratulations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff