Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how far does a person need to travel to be considered a "Tourist" ?

“The only true voyage of discovery … would be not to visit strange lands but to possess other eyes.”

— Marcel Proust

It could be argued that “other eyes” might be more readily located should they have the opportunity to witness what they haven’t seen before.

Still, though, we humans too often go in search of that which reinforces our existing views rather than seek out the novel.

Neironwik

New in Town
Even visiting the neighboring country to visit places of interest for considering yourself a tourist. A tourist is a person who visits a place for pleasure and interest, especially when they are on holiday. By the way, I love traveling. It is one of the things I love doing the most. I will never forget my trip to Costa Rica. I went on a tour from Costaricafocus.com to see exotic colors. I enjoyed it. I have never seen so many colorful birds in the wild. I remember I took more than one thousand photos on my iPhone.

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not meaning to sound edgy or controversial, but if you are a Haole (Caucasian) in Hawai‘i —even if your family has been here for generations— people will normally assume that you are a tourist. Perhaps understandably. Shrugs. Just the way it is.

There’s an argument to be made for identifying with, and taking some measure of pride in, one’s place of origin and/or current home.

Still, I find myself occasionally annoyed but more often amused by people gloating over living where they do. Yes, it might be a lovely place, and a person has every reason to be pleased by that. And that person might rightly identify with his or her ancestors who made their contributions to these happy circumstances. But it’s not a personal achievement and it certainly isn’t that it’s “better” than any number of other locales.

A friend visiting from out Seattle way, where I lived for 46 years, asked me what I thought of living here in greater Denver, where I’ve been for eight years now. “It’s a place,” I said. There are things to be said for it, and then there are other things.

A couple weeks ago I was back in Wisconsin, the land of my birth and most of my childhood, to attend the funeral of a favorite uncle. The geography there isn’t nearly as spectacular as the scenery out West. No mountains around southern Wisconsin. No canyons, either. And the winters there can be miserable. But the countryside has a bucolic charm you don’t get around here. Every few miles is another pretty little town. It’s entirely understandable why people like living there, January aside.

Last edited:
There’s an argument to be made for identifying with, and taking some measure of pride in, one’s place of origin and/or current home.

Still, I find myself occasionally annoyed but more often amused by people gloating over living where they do. Yes, it might be a lovely place, and a person has every reason to be pleased by that. And that person might rightly identify with his or her ancestors who made their contributions to these happy circumstances. But it’s not a personal achievement and it certainly isn’t that it’s “better” than any number of other locales.

A friend visiting from out Seattle way, where I lived for 46 years, asked me what I thought of living here in greater Denver, where I’ve been for eight years now. “It’s a place,” I said. There are things to be said for it, and then there are other things.

A couple weeks ago I was back in Wisconsin, the land of my birth and most of my childhood, to attend the funeral of a favorite uncle. The geography there isn’t nearly as spectacular as the scenery out West. No mountains around southern Wisconsin. No canyons, either. And the winters there can be miserable. But the countryside has a bucolic charm you don’t get around here. Every few miles is another pretty little town. It’s entirely understandable why people like living there, January aside.
I agree. My great grandparents left Ulster very early in the 20thC and settled in the Canadian Prairies. Moved the family to Vancouver just before the depression so my residency here is random.....I had no say in it. But it is a pleasant place to live for the most part and pleased my parents chose to stay. I have travelled the world, a lot, and fallen in love with many places but this is the place I always return to......for no other reason than it is familiar and the climate is pleasant. And now in my later years it is the place where I have all my stuff!!!

… this is the place I always return to......for no other reason than it is familiar and the climate is pleasant. And now in my later years it is the place where I have all my stuff!!!
The last time I moved I told myself it would be the last time I move.

It may work out that way, and it may not. But should circumstances have me relocating, I certainly won’t do it all myself, as I always did in the past. I can see myself boxing up my swag (I’d give myself at least a month to do that), but I’d leave the loading and unloading to strapping young people.

The last time I moved I told myself it would be the last time I move.

It may work out that way, and it may not. But should circumstances have me relocating, I certainly won’t do it all myself, as I always did in the past. I can see myself boxing up my swag (I’d give myself at least a month to do that), but I’d leave the loading and unloading to strapping young people.
One of the benefits to old age....friends don't ask for your help on moving day any more.

Not meaning to sound edgy or controversial, but if you are a Haole (Caucasian) in Hawai‘i —even if your family has been here for generations— people will normally assume that you are a tourist. Perhaps understandably. Shrugs. Just the way it is.
By comparison to, say, the North or South American mainland, Hawai'i has so few natural resources that most items must be imported in order to maintain modern life as the rest of the planet knows it. As such, I suppose Haole/Caucasians must be included as imports. ;)

In Quebec City even Quebec born citizens and fully bilingual are considered outsiders if they were not born in Quebec City. They will forever be considered outsiders by those who consider themselves "pure laine".

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In Quebec City even Quebec born citizens and fully bilingual are considered outsiders if they were not born in Quebec City. They will forever be considered outsiders by those who consider themselves "pure laine".
In the popular counties of South West England, if you are not local, that's either being born there, married someone from the area or lived there for over thirty odd years, you are deemed to be a grockle. a derogatory term for a tourist. Whether that's a day tripper or a longer stay. Those with a second property in the area are wealthy grockles, but a grockle none-the-less.

In the popular counties of South West England, if you are not local, that's either being born there, married someone from the area or lived there for over thirty odd years, you are deemed to be a grockle. a derogatory term for a tourist. Whether that's a day tripper or a longer stay. Those with a second property in the area are wealthy grockles, but a grockle none-the-less.
as a species we are still so tribal.....just some are a bit more covert about it but tribal nonetheless. In Quebec City even if you marry a local you will forever be the outsider.

F0263BED-F303-4769-B433-7099F99BDF2C.jpeg

Bugguy

Practically Family
About three miles.... I live in South Nashville and have never been on Broadway - the CW Strip. It's the CW equivalent of Bourbon Street with three-story bars blasting music over the street. Seems to be the No. 1 bachelorette party destination.

^^^^^
Yogi Berra was quoted as saying, in regard to a once-favorite local dining establishment …

“No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.”

Like many of Yogi’s poetic if oxymoronic utterances, I understand this one completely.

I recently discovered this writer. (Her criticism of the criticisms of "Its a Wonderful Life" is spot on. You may wish to look that up, too.)
She makes the point that a tourist is a tourist no matter how he or she tries not to look or play the part, far better than I ever have.
https://www.thebulwark.com/youre-not-too-good-for-tourism/
Good article. I have been watching the latest Yellowstone -season #5.

In this series the battle between the old Montana of ranches and their diminishing economic future, the wide open spaces, stunning beauty and the growth of tourism as Montana's salvation is spotlighted. The irony is; Montana is a tourist mecca because of its wide open spaces, its ranching history, the romance of the West, the mystery of a different way of life. So the old Montana will die a slow painful death and in its place will be the new Montana. One built for tourists that is but a shell of that which attracted us in the first place. Now I am terribly conflicted. Montana is our favourite destination but now I am dealing with the guilt in the hand I have lent to its destruction. Do I dare visit it again? Do I continue to contribute to the Bozemanization of the state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB