Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long does it take for a Leather Jacket to show patina?

user290389023

New in Town
I just bought my leather jacket, and i wear it every day. How many years does it take fore a jacket to start showing a bit of patina? Its black, if that matters

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It depends.
He’s right.
How much you wear the jacket and what you do while wearing it certainly play a factor. Equally (if not more) important is what kind of leather the jacket was made from. Some leathers are made to show wear and age right out of the box. Other leathers, goatskin in particular, may look new after decades of regular wear.

zebedee

One Too Many
A lot will have to do with how much you wear it. My Aero Highwayman has great patina, and I've had it for about 8 years. In that time, I've:

- been very, very drunk in it
-done more long haul flights than I can remember in it
-gone over in broken glass without it being damaged (and without me being damaged)
-worn it in rain, snow and high humidity
-chopped wood in it
-not shown it any sympathy at all

-it also survived my ex-wife

So, there are different approaches.

Why two threads by the same OP on the same subject..??
Speedboarding?
Jim-Carrey-Fast-typing.gif

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
speaking of aging leather, I always wonder what the chemical requirement is to make black leather brown.
now, forget about teacore black, they'll turn brown because they are brown. I'm talking about movie costumers works, so, the Terminator 2 movie, Bates make a bunch of regular black jackets using good old, coated black cowhides typical of the 80s and 90s, then used acetone/alcohol/sanding to get rid of the black, BUT, the undertone would be blue or white, so how did they get it to show brown? UV?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21