Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many Aeros does a guy need, and where does he put them?

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I've been enjoying posts on all the new Aero FQHH jackets that have been arriving recently, and I'm plotting my own purchase. I've already started a small collection of leather jackets, and I have a couple of questions for those of you with multiple jackets: How many do you have? How often do you actually wear them? And where/how do you store them?

It's not very sophisticated, but I keep mine in the coat closet. I've modified wooden hangers by rubber-banding wash clothes on to pad the shoulders (so they don't get hanger-marks). During the wearing season, I usually just toss the one I wear most on chair to avoid hanging crease marks. As far as rotation, I find I usually favor one and the others stay put in on their nicely padded hangers.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I wear and use my leather jackets like the old VOLVO ad:
"Drive it like you hate it!"

Leather jackets - Irvins, A2 whatever - were originally made to be used and used hard. Not as prestige objects.
(Allthough todays prices certainly indicates just the opposite)

So: Wear them like you hate them!;)

I also use oversized hangers for my Aero jackets...but usually have a few tossed on a bedroom chair that I can easily grab during colder days here in Indiana as well. In my view...there is something to be said in support of Spitfire's recommendations. Many of us tend to treat a new Aero with kid gloves...since it is such beautiful HH....which often leads to the idea of dabbing on conditioner as "extra" protection...and wearing it delicately trying to avoid any sign of what at first is considered "damage". I was guilty with my first Aero(Highwayman)...except for the temptation to "protect" the new hide with conditioner. I was advised by Aero to wait a few years..and I could tell if and when the hide needed it(dry areas). The HH is aready treated during tanning that leaves the "waxy" feel to the touch. When new...conditioner becomes overkill that does more harm than good...and can leave white filmy residue on the hide..then difficult to remove. After wearing my Highwayman for a few years...and slowly getting over the worry factor of keeping it like new...as it broke in more and more...I eventually allowed it to gain more "charactor" to finally achieve the look and relaxed appearance of well broken-in HH. Since new in 2001 I have only added conditioner(lightly)around the collar..where it had indeed dried out somewhat. All this led to realizing that my next new Aero HH could gain that "charactor" in less time...if I refused to baby the new jacket. I do try and avoid heavy scuffs...but there does come a time with break-in that the finish just doesn't show scuffs as easily. In my view...a well used HH baseball glove always suited me much better than a new one. The same with an HH jacket. In fact..I've had more compliments as the HH has gained that well broken in "charactor".
HD

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hello, Joe: You've touched a nerve,

at least for me. I can only wear so many jackets, and then what? I see at least one jacket/week on ebay that tempts me, but, what am I going to do with them once I have them?

As for Aeros...they are something else entirely, as the spate of new jacket postings illustrate. Spitfire's Volvo ad reference is perfect lol . The jacket needs to look 'lived in'. How many Aeros? How many different jackets do they make ;) ? I know this silly question contradicts my opening thoughts and therein lies the rub--how many is too many? Only you know, Joe. Enjoy the finding out where that line is for you. And, keep us posted.

Lear

One of the Regulars
jack miranda said:
<snip> how many is too many? <snip>

More than two. I will NEVER own more than two Aero jackets. Let me be quoted on this and severely punished, if I ever exceed this number.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Lear said:
More than two. I will NEVER own more than two Aero jackets. Let me be quoted on this and severely punished, if I ever exceed this number.

I might be saving a lot of money if you let me in on the internal logic of that limit.

Lear

One of the Regulars
eClairvaux said:
I might be saving a lot of money if you let me in on the internal logic of that limit.

I have to set myself some rules, otherwise I'll end up with a wardrobe full of FQHH. Actually, when I said two, I really meant three :eek:. Any more than three and I'll personally eat my size 12, RM Williams boots... sideways!

Fiver64

Practically Family
Lear said:
I have to set myself some rules, otherwise I'll end up with a wardrobe full of FQHH. Actually, when I said two, I really meant three :eek:. Any more than three and I'll personally eat my size 12, RM Williams boots... sideways!

I agree.........3 is just right. Unless you really need that 4th and 5th......... for special occassions of course, in which case it's OK too!lol In short, IMHO (owning 2 Aeros, a Vanson, a Schott, 2 Taylor's Leatherwear and a few other odd brands) it crosses the line from being a "jacket or two" to a "hobby." I wear them all at various times for various reasons. It's OK......... my wife has learned to live with it and doesn't even make comments anymore! She still shakes her head though!

bobjones

A-List Customer
I spoke with Will recently, and he said there was a fellow who had ordered over 50 jackets.

If nothing else, I'd assume that they have his size down pretty good by now ;)

Even Will was saying that was a lot of jackets, and I'd think it would be tough to break them all in in a single person's lifetime...BUT...I'd like to be the person that tried. :)

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Haha! Man... what would I do with over 50 jackets? More appropriately, what WOULDN'T I do with over 50 jackets? There's one for backyard parties, one for hanging out, one for wearing to mom's... time to lock the wallet up ;)

One wonders how many jackets someone living in the golden era WOULD actually own... they were considered workwear items after all...

JLStorm

Practically Family
I think one for each for fall, winter, spring or 1 or 2 jackets that cant handle all 3 seasons. The goal is to break them in and make them uniquely yours, Im not sure how one can do that with too many jackets (unless they acquired multiple jackets over a very long period of time), after all it takes years. Unlike most types of clothing, new jackets are boring and not very unique, beat up, naturally worn jackets on the other hand are very cool, especially if you did all that breaking in naturally yourself.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Well said. Though of course with modern clothing, that worn-in-beat-up look can be yours right out of the box! That's one of the things that I appreciate about Aeros, and vintage clothing in general: all the battle scars and graining is the mark of a human being. There's something very cool to being able to say "I wore this one jacket for 20 years", though there is also something very neat in appreciating the subtle differences of each garment. Besides... I need one for all the many ranges of temperature that I have to face! :rolleyes:

Personally, "my collection" has grown mainly as I've learned the value of buying quality products... and as I've learned just what quality means. It's a fun ride :)

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
RP McMurphy said:
Haha! Man... what would I do with over 50 jackets? More appropriately, what WOULDN'T I do with over 50 jackets? There's one for backyard parties, one for hanging out, one for wearing to mom's... time to lock the wallet up ;)

One wonders how many jackets someone living in the golden era WOULD actually own... they were considered workwear items after all...

I'm pretty sure in the Golden Era, you'd own ONE leather jacket, period.

I now have twelve-thirteen Aeros...including A2s,shearling and utility jackets. Trouble is...I can wear a standard size Aero...and every once in a while...Aero updates their stupid "sale" and "used" candy pages. Plus...this state of Indiana has at least four seasons...and they can show up at any time...even right in the middle of another season. Then there are the black and brown boots or shoes to match. Then there are all the different styles of jackets that Aero blatantly shows off. To top it all off...a member here will get a new jacket...with photos of every angle...even closeups! Those jackets will then even appear in the hat or newsboy threads...so here we go with the hats and newsboys to match the new Aeros. Seems like a vicious circle...but it certainly ain't my fault....is it?:eek:
HD

Lear

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: Confession time: I have a obsession that causes me to buy certain things in two's or multiple of two's. Pens, shirts, shoes and even watches.

About fifteen years ago I bought an enormous Heuer Autavia watch. It's a massively heavy, olive drab, mechanical (automatic) chronograph. They last made the things in the 1970's, before the company became Tag Heuer. I came across a supply that had been in storage since then; brand new. Anyway, within days I was back for a second one.

There have even been shirts that I've liked, only to discover that they don't have exactly the same shirt, but in a different colour. This is cause enough for me not to purchase the one.

Socks: multiples of two. Underwear: multiples of two. You name it, I've bought it in two's lol. Some things escape this rule though. Overcoats, down filled parkas etc.

So, I think you'll understand that I simply HAVE to have two Veste de Rallye coats. However, if I do at some point desire a lighter weight Aero jacket, it too will have to be double purchased (but in a different colour of course). Meaning - when I said that three is enough, I really should have stated four. Four is the magic number, and none of you crazy FL members are going to sway me from that.

murena

One of the Regulars
hi,

i think this is a very interesting topic, i am very nosy to hear how much aeros other people have:)
when i consider, ...i have 7 original german luftwaffe flight jackets from WW2,two repros from WW2, one from the italian army, and 3 modern army flight jackets.
i am anyway a little crazy, because i don´t ned more new jackets but i buy nevertheless one more (not only aeros) :rolleyes:
I must say that i wear and use my leather jackets often (not every model, because an original and old luftwaffe jacket is nothing to wear on street).

nice regards,

Philipp

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Haha!

Murena, I think the question has to do with why one collects vintage or vintage-styled jackets. If it's for practicality's sake, then that depends on where you live, what you do on a daily basis, and what kind of image you need to put out for your job or daily life. Now if you're into the history... need and practicality go out the window. ;)

In all seriousness however, at least it IS a hobby that nudges us towards the door... inspiring us to hit the ground running and explore the world, rather than sitting at home with a collection.

Wear them well gentlemen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot