Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many jackets do you have to sew to be an expert?

AdeeC

Practically Family
There was some very weird stuff. At least one person was demanding that the FL mods issue a statement on the VLJ avowing that Aero isn't a secret sponsor! :eeek::eusa_doh:

Yeah, there was one person with a pugnacious tone who specifically made the accusation and went on and on with it despite KC adamantly and quite forcefully denying it several times.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, there was one person who specifically made the accusation and went on and on with it despite KC adamantly and quite forcefully denying it several times.

Sounds like maybe the same people who seem to be trolling the Aero trial thread here by making counter-factual statements and allegations have been trying their luck over at VLJ.
Ken should ignore them. They're out to get his blood pressure up. It's not worth the stress, IMHO.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, there was one person with a pugnacious tone who specifically made the accusation and went on and on with it despite KC adamantly and quite forcefully denying it several times.

I followed most of the VLJ thread throughout the day before the whole thing was deleted. The guy to whom you refer seemed unable or unwilling to accept not only Ken's statement but also complete lack of even a shred of evidence to support his contention.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I followed most of the VLJ thread throughout the day before the whole thing was deleted. The guy to whom you refer seemed unable or unwilling to accept not only Ken's statement but also complete lack of even a shred of evidence to support his contention.

Gee, I wonder who that sounds like. Also, could someone in the know give us a clue about the DD controversy?

AdeeC

Practically Family
Gee, I wonder who that sounds like. Also, could someone in the know give us a clue about the DD controversy?

Broadly this is what happened. KC was fired up after the poster who claimed that Aero sponsors TFL had also said their military jackets in particular A2's were not as good as some others supposedly more authentic examples. KC rolled off a list of names of well established makers that made great jackets but also said some of the newer stat ups were perhaps not so good. He also said VLJ sympathies tended to favour more niche makers rather than the long established lot like ELC, Aero and others.

DD thought KC was referring to him. KC came back and said he wasn't reffering to him. It appeared this side issue was resolved between them before the thread was deleted.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's really annoying that one of these trolls can come on a forum under the mask of anonymity and make such stupid claims against a recognized and respected name. And what's with DD's sensitivity? It reminds me of BK's hissy-fit when somebody dared to mention his cuffs being too large. This sounds kind of undignified, but, then again, I didn't see it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
A good chunk of me feels like these back and forths between people in this world with different views are a kind of an unwinding of a subconscious solidarity. I feel that way when I engage in or see disagreents on the forums. Almost like "sure, we may appear to despise each other, but we both know we share the same rare interest, so at the end of the day, we're good"...

I hope no disagreement is severe enough to cloud that vision. (trying to see the glass half full).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The tone of the whole thread started off badly, with certain parties insisting that the Lounge was hysterical and shouldn't be discussing the trial, before lapsing into conspiracy theories that would make most people over here howl with laughter.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
The tone of the whole thread started off badly, with certain parties insisting that the Lounge was hysterical and shouldn't be discussing the trial, before lapsing into conspiracy theories that would make most people over here howl with laughter.

Did hide tanner and Bobby feature?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Amazingly, no. But I was reminded precisely why I stopped posting there: one time I politely suggested a guy's BK jacket was short on the sleeves, they were an inch above his wrists, and the comment was deleted! For a bunch who hammer on about free speech, it does seem to be a case of 'free, as long as you agree'.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Amazingly, no. But I was reminded precisely why I stopped posting there: one time I politely suggested a guy's BK jacket was short on the sleeves, they were an inch above his wrists, and the comment was deleted! For a bunch who hammer on about free speech, it does seem to be a case of 'free, as long as you agree'.

So Ken was right to claim that VLJ forum was like North Korea. I'm shocked. John Lever is one of the people that set it up, and he's a nice guy.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
John is a great guy, and I can't imagine he removed what was a completely innocuous comment as there is more than just the one mod. It was at the time that BK were throwing special offers at all-comers and the VLJ was very hot for it, so it may have had something to do with it.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I dont think That is too bad.

If we are talking about 60-70 hour Weeks that is.

You would be a seasoned Pro in a few years work with the right kind of place and people showing you how to do it.

The most important piece of equipment besides the machines would be a very large ash tray of course.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Ah, I remember now, I saw Jon Ronson interview that guy that 'invented' the 10,000 hour rule, and the guy himself said that he'd been misunderstood, and the concept misapplied. He's the same guy that invented 'broken windows' policing, and that doesn't stand up to analysis of the data either.

But it made him famous. And rich. So he hasn't disputed that yet.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It appears that a new and version of the same thread on VLJ has reopened. Remarks have been restrained so far. I post there only rarely.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Malcolm Gladwell?

Yep, that's the one. In the Jon Ronson interview he totally backtracks on the 10,000 hour concept and denies that it's universally applicable, and bemoans being beset by people who did anything for 10,000 hours and aren't good at it. He waffles on about how you need latent talent to begin with. He's a fake.

pawineguy

One Too Many
It appears that a new and version of the same thread on VLJ has reopened. Remarks have been restrained so far. I post there only rarely.

I posted there more yesterday than I have in the previous couple of months combined. I always check to see what's happening as they collectively have a tremendous number of great jackets and knowledge, but lately it's been pretty dead with very few posters. I do think Ken's point was valid, regardless of who it was aimed at, but that's the nature of the beast in all industries, isn't it? The new guy gets all the attention. It just shows what a tremendous job Ken did over the past few years keeping Aero more relevant by the constant release of new models.

It should also be noted that Ken was emphasizing how talented his staff was, the education that his younger machinists go through before even being hired at Aero, and that they are artists in their own right. His point seemed to be that each of his individual machinists, if on their own, would receive praise for the stunning jackets they produce, but because they are with a "big" company their talents are ignored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot