Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many jackets do you have to sew to be an expert?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Traffic has slowed to a trickle on the VLJ, in part probably due to the rather Stalinist attitude of stalwart members, but also because forums that are so tightly focused will eventually run out of chat. There is loads of info on there, but much of it was posted years ago.

Well, non-military jackets don't get much love, and they certainly don't tolerate many brands there compared to what's discussed here. You can (and people have) post a beautiful Aero jacket there and you'll be treated to dead silence.

That said, had the Aero trial gone the other way (assuming the whole thing was made up by that bad guy KC) you can bet it would have been a hotbed of Aero-bashing like no other.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely. To me the dead silence that came from the VLJ could be interpreted as stone cold disappointment.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
and they certainly don't tolerate many brands there compared to what's discussed here. You can (and people have) post a beautiful Aero jacket there and you'll be treated to dead silence.

Its interesting that a few of their members try and imply the same thing about here...that there aren't many posts at that "hat place" and that its dying because of a few members beating people down lol.

I check there every month or so and quite often I can find a single new thread.

There have certainly been lows here, and I think summer in Outerwear happens for obvious reasons.
But check the analytics here, I think it's safe to say that even when "dead" here, it's much more open and active.

Site stats.

To be fair, I think I have equal numbers of people that dislike me in both places, so that's even at least :rofl:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Leather Jackets Forum. It's mainly about A-2s and other military originals/repros. There is a lot of really useful and interesting info on it.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, because Aero being a secret sponsor would make much more 'sense' than the fact that there are just loads of satisfied customers speaking up? Some people are, well, a bit mental it seems.

I'm on vacation, so the other day I went back and looked at some of the squabbles that have gone on, and in almost every case it was the same group of four or five individuals lighting the fire (and maintaining it). A few seem to have personal gripes, but with others there's a sort of displaced hatred of anything that's successful, exemplary, or, in their own minds at least, authoritative.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Does anyone else think it's ridiculous you can't use gmail etc to register for an account there? Who uses ISP emails anymore?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I registered with my yahoo account. It took 48 hours to come through, but it's done. I missed the whole episode, but am now registered.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
The whole things gone now. Some people blaming John for starting the thread. Seems unfair to me. Some people accusing the lounge of being unfairly pro-Aero.
Seems that it was a place for people who got challenged here to go whine.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Ah well, I've got a nice write up planned for TFL on an amazing jacket that will soon be in my possession, and vlj's gettin none of it :)

Edward

Bartender
It's the idea that this ridiculous belief seems to have persisted among some individuals, without any basis in fact.

Better that one or two loopers believe this than the possibility that they are repeating it for other reasons.

Nothing missed. Just the usual Aero haters there.
Place gets maybe 10 posts a day. Surprised it's still up.

I wonder how many people are put off by that? Seems odd... Obviously every place is gonig to have its crowd favourite, but the Aero hate over there never seemed to have anyv basis, at least what I've seen of it spill over here (remember that nutter in Spain who insisted any and all repros, but especially Aero, were "poor quality" because they were "fake"?).

Yeah, there was one person with a pugnacious tone who specifically made the accusation and went on and on with it despite KC adamantly and quite forcefully denying it several times.

Not exactly unheard of in other parts....

Sounds like maybe the same people who seem to be trolling the Aero trial thread here by making counter-factual statements and allegations have been trying their luck over at VLJ.
Ken should ignore them. They're out to get his blood pressure up. It's not worth the stress, IMHO.

Plus one million....

Amazingly, no. But I was reminded precisely why I stopped posting there: one time I politely suggested a guy's BK jacket was short on the sleeves, they were an inch above his wrists, and the comment was deleted! For a bunch who hammer on about free speech, it does seem to be a case of 'free, as long as you agree'.

TBH, everything I've ever encountered about VLJ suggests that it's become a haven for a lot of self-proclaimed experts who like to be elitist for its own sake. I'm sure there are great folks there too, but the unpleasant end of the spillover from there to here always put me off getting involved. [huh]

Edward - you are of course correct. But the good ones don't seem to makeup for the others. I loved that forum when I joined, and the knowledge was second to none. Sadly, that also often came with braggadocio that made it unenjoyable, and then the seemingly endless angst towards KC/Aero.
Weird. Just weird. But I have suspicions that some of these cats have/had relations with other makers and it wasn't really known. And maybe some info to that conclusion as well provided by others...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24