Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Wish I could but nope, I seriously can't. I thought I could years ago, back when I would read all that stuff about how you can easily tell them apart because horsehide is stiffer, shinier, etc. while cowhide is... Thicker? Softer? I can't even remember anymore. And then the whole Storse scandal shattered my whole world to pieces.

Anyone actually working with leather will tell you that the only way to know for sure is to do a DNA analysis. This one guy in the business that used to post here, even made experiments to prove you can't distinguish between the two.

It all comes down to tanning. Most tanneries will process the hides differently, to make a separate product with unique properties out of each - which is the only reason why the internet believes it is possible to distinguish horsehide from cowhide - but in reality, both hides could easily be skimmed and tanned to appear identical.

So right now, I don't even bother to check the tag anymore.

Well said. The Storse scandal was a blow to many "experts".

Broke down like the weak and soft dude that I am. After swearing off any purchases I contacted LW this AM and ordered up the CHP. Been wearing the heck out of the CL. I really like it and want something in the style fitted for riding. Now I am done. For real real.

Hh121

Banned
Broke down like the weak and soft dude that I am. After swearing off any purchases I contacted LW this AM and ordered up the CHP. Been wearing the heck out of the CL. I really like it and want something in the style fitted for riding. Now I am done. For real real.

So, what's the spec?

Edward

Bartender
I watched a two-part documentary on McQueen and his motorcycles just Friday night. I know exactly what you mean @Edward, even though in the doc he was wearing either a Barbour International or just a t shirt.

Cool a f.

Undoubtedly. (Steve Macqueen has even sold me on the virtues of a late model, all-polyfil MA1 with the orange liner.....).

If he was wearing a Barbour, those must have been shots / footage of him riding in competition. Both Barbour and Belstaff have laid claim to Macqueen over the years, but the simple fact is that he wore Barbour when riding with the US team, and his personal, off-duty jacket was a Belstaff. Some have been tempted to read into that; me, I doubt he cared much one way or the other if it did the job and he just got to ride! I mean, we're talking about a guy who often rode under an alias (Harvey Mushmann) just so he could shirk the celebrity fluff and give it hell on the track. My favourite Macqueen bike story is how during that sequence in The Great Escape, he's not only riding as Hilts, but he's also half the Nazis chasing Hilts as well!

There was a great article in Built magazine last year about Macqueen and his bikes, written by Gary Eastman as I recall (they were also plugging the Eastman A2 Hilts at the time).

As one of the elite member here, I believe you can easily distinguish the cowhide and horsehide. Even I can.

Yeah....a lot of people said that prior to the Storse episode!

So, what's the spec?

We added a bit of length to jacket and sleeves. All else pretty standard to match my CL, to include 4oz Black HH and the Talon zips. Is there anything in particular you want to know?

I will say that dealing with Stuart was great. Lightning fast response to all my emails. Since it is Sunday I was surprised at having a response 20 minutes after my initial inquiry. To the point but polite and professional. He asked some questions about my measurements and fit. Easy process.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And if you go with Langlitz, they will make sure you are happy with the fit, no compromises. I even heard of cases where they remade jackets from the ground for unhappy customers.
I can attest to this as I have bought two jackets from Langlitz and both of them had to be remade. In both cases they were a little too tight and I had been very clear when placing my order that I was not going for a tight fit. The guys at Langlitz were professional and courteous and they made me two completely new jackets within a week of receiving the ones I returned. Cannot say enough good things about the guys and gals at Langlitz.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

Yep, you’re done for real this time.
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I think you've done a right thing.

Campus Horsehide halfbelt. Stayed really low bid wise, size was right and I'm curious.
IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This Californian came in from Nashville today. Too small for me, but a perfect fit in my collection. Just had to have it. I have several California Sportswear jacket in different leathers with slight alterations in the design, late 30s. I will get them together.

And it has a story? I forgot to get the details.
824271ae67ef69c16f48e060caf75fc3.jpg
e5559b6129790a7bb1d03948b49964cc.jpg
c66553a6220a3eb2777dd940de7e5360.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

This Californian came in from Nashville today. Too small for me, but a perfect fit in my collection. Just had to have it. I have several California Sportswear jacket in different leathers with slight alterations in the design, late 30s. I will get them together.

And it has a story? I forgot to get the details.
824271ae67ef69c16f48e060caf75fc3.jpg
e5559b6129790a7bb1d03948b49964cc.jpg
c66553a6220a3eb2777dd940de7e5360.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
That's one of the coolest jackets I've ever seen. If that fit me I'd donate everything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto