How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Feb 12, 2017.

1. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

There are loopholes... I have a CXL jacket ;)

2. Cornelius

Cornelius One of the Regulars

I like the simple, functional design of these French-worker-style unlined chore jackets and own a few, all obtained cheap at military surplus shops Stateside [a blue cotton drill of German origin, a moleskin one from Italy, & a green cotton twill from Sweden]. The only detail I find frustrating is the near total lack of drop from shoulder to waist, across the board. Which is not simply an aesthetic issue - I often use them as shop clothes, both for the convenient pockets & to protect my shirt from stains or tears - and the extra loose fabric around the belly will often drag into bench work, getting glue, paint or stain on it, etc.

It's gotten annoying enough I plan on getting them all taken in once the virus subsides a bit. Which would likely cost more than the price of purchase!

3. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ Practically Family

Summer heat has had my jacket addiction on pause for the past couple weeks but Im back in the game! Picked this up from the bay last night. My first Lesco. Figured Id try a new brand out, not expensive and looks relatively well made from photos.

s-l1600.jpg

marker2037, Alex321, Monitor and 3 others like this.
  4. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Oh this Lesco four pocket style is a killer. They were very well made like a beast and the pocketing are all random thick wool blend fabrics, the zippers are tough and the leather ages beautifully. I recently bought myself two, one black one brown. Plus they use the decorated solid brass side buckles! Schott made their version but Lesco was better

5. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Just finished this prototype. For a very slim size or a lady. Looking good on my girl.

6. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Awesome!

regius likes this.
  7. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

That looks really good! Did you make the pattern as well?

8. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

Beautiful jacket!

9. Monitor

Monitor

What Reg says, Lesco rocks. They're mighty, true work jackets. Built to last and perform and they have cool styling as well. Their cross zipper is among the coolest on the market and CR is pretty nice too and they had quite a few of these 60's styled jackets. I think they were a higher grade jackets than Schott at the time.

Reg, that's SO cool!!! Incredible you made it! It does look great on her and you already got the collar/lapels better than 90% of repro makers out there. XD
    I guess now's the time to talk about that place in the pre-order line, huh?

regius and dannyk like this.
  10. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

That is really impressive!

11. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Thanks @Monitor! Yes, the collar and lapel are a big detail I'm focusing on, as well as the athletic back taper. Currently I don't have the luxury to use uniform thickness leather, so the panels are made out of very different animals lol, 4oz goat that's thick, plush and pliable, 3.5oz Italian cowhide (I believe my T2 from Bates was made out of this), it's nice, chrome tanned, but more for BMW carseats..., I do have a fantastic black, coated veg goat (the D pocket is made of it), amazing color and grain. It squeaks like nobody's biz due to the waterproof coating.

12. Monitor

Monitor

Collar and lapels are the most important deal for me but many makers seem to completely ignore it and make it as standard as possible. And you've nailed the Half-belt look, too. And the sleeves. Just the right proportions all around. You'll be killin' it in no time.

regius likes this.
  13. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

14. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  15. ton312

ton312

Sigh...It’s that time of year again. Time to get back on the merry-go-round of Levi’s Sherpa truckers. At least they are cheap. Hadn’t seen this wash (black/grey) before so not buying it would’ve been a problem for me.
    744D746B-51B7-4AF0-95DC-F10F3BF1C21E.jpeg

sweetfights, Monitor, dannyk and 3 others like this.
  16. Edward

Edward Bartender

THe boxy shape work for me at the minute; I'm still shifting the weight down, and many jackets with a more 'v'ed shape are too tight for me once they hit the belly and can't be fastened. It is, of course, true to the originals in shape, as they were intended to fit ove whatever was being worn for the season, to protect the French workman's clothes from manual labour. It could be that some tucked or belted them if there was a concern about machinery... I'm not sure how far or whether the basic design pre-dates industrialisation. (They also have an interesting echo of the Mao suit, though those were taditionally four-pocket; I don't recall exactly the reason, but it's tied in with Taoism and trsaditional Chinese spirituality.) The more expensive, fashion-oriented jackets are definitely tapered; Im' guessing because mine was aiem at the cheaper end of the market it makes sense to make it boxyt so fewer sizes fit a wider range. I must get some photos. I'm very pelased with it; as we're still largely under lockdown conditions in my home, it's great to have something I can throw on over an undershirt on the rare occasion I do step outside to go to tohe shop or walk the dog. Nice quality cotton too - way better than I'd anticipated.

Cornelius likes this.
  17. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man Practically Family

Just had arrive in Perth Western Australia a Fidelity café racer in 44" , brown steerhide. In VERY good order.

A big shout out to robinray , a gentleman forum member. So sorry not "coming" per se but here this arvo.

I have lubed the Talon zippers with zipper lube , and treated the jacket with R.M. Williams leather treatment.

Tomorrow whatever has not penetrated will be buffed with a soft terry towel, that's my method anyways.

The jacket did not perhaps need the 100% treatment but I do it to all my used jackets on arrival.

Photos are from the supplier , robinray of Sheffield UK , I will get new pics onto the "What jacket" thread soon.

Fidelity cafe racer 1.jpg

Fidelity cafe racer 2.jpg

El Marro, MrProper, Robbie79 and 12 others like this.
  18. Monitor

Monitor

This Excelled just arrived but I think I'm going to have to replace the zippers. In case you can't tell, the engraving says KKK. Lol, I would understand if this was an outsourced production but kind of surprising to see this choice of hardware on a jacket made in the USA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ugh. Why not YKK? I never heard of a KKK zipper before. Maybe you can just change the pulls. Would be a pain to go through all that trouble though.

20. Monitor

Monitor

Haha, I dunno what they were thinking. The main zipper is a YKK, the rest are all KKK. So stupid! It's a cool jacket otherwise and fits so nice.
    Replacing pulls is what I meant, just gotta find some nice chain pulls.

dannyk likes this.