Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Cornelius

Practically Family
Of all people... TU Clothing. The in-house clothing brand of Sainsburys Supermarket. I've bought quite a few bits from them over the years - long as you don't expect too much for the money, they're generally surprisingly good. This is £22 new.

I like the simple, functional design of these French-worker-style unlined chore jackets and own a few, all obtained cheap at military surplus shops Stateside [a blue cotton drill of German origin, a moleskin one from Italy, & a green cotton twill from Sweden]. The only detail I find frustrating is the near total lack of drop from shoulder to waist, across the board. Which is not simply an aesthetic issue - I often use them as shop clothes, both for the convenient pockets & to protect my shirt from stains or tears - and the extra loose fabric around the belly will often drag into bench work, getting glue, paint or stain on it, etc.

It's gotten annoying enough I plan on getting them all taken in once the virus subsides a bit. Which would likely cost more than the price of purchase!

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Summer heat has had my jacket addiction on pause for the past couple weeks but Im back in the game! Picked this up from the bay last night. My first Lesco. Figured Id try a new brand out, not expensive and looks relatively well made from photos.

s-l1600.jpg

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Summer heat has had my jacket addiction on pause for the past couple weeks but Im back in the game! Picked this up from the bay last night. My first Lesco. Figured Id try a new brand out, not expensive and looks relatively well made from photos.

View attachment 248195
Oh this Lesco four pocket style is a killer. They were very well made like a beast and the pocketing are all random thick wool blend fabrics, the zippers are tough and the leather ages beautifully. I recently bought myself two, one black one brown. Plus they use the decorated solid brass side buckles! Schott made their version but Lesco was better

View attachment 248195

What Reg says, Lesco rocks. They're mighty, true work jackets. Built to last and perform and they have cool styling as well. Their cross zipper is among the coolest on the market and CR is pretty nice too and they had quite a few of these 60's styled jackets. I think they were a higher grade jackets than Schott at the time.

Just finished this prototype. For a very slim size or a lady. Looking good on my girl.

Reg, that's SO cool!!! Incredible you made it! It does look great on her and you already got the collar/lapels better than 90% of repro makers out there. XD
I guess now's the time to talk about that place in the pre-order line, huh?

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks @Monitor! Yes, the collar and lapel are a big detail I'm focusing on, as well as the athletic back taper. Currently I don't have the luxury to use uniform thickness leather, so the panels are made out of very different animals lol, 4oz goat that's thick, plush and pliable, 3.5oz Italian cowhide (I believe my T2 from Bates was made out of this), it's nice, chrome tanned, but more for BMW carseats..., I do have a fantastic black, coated veg goat (the D pocket is made of it), amazing color and grain. It squeaks like nobody's biz due to the waterproof coating.

Thanks @Monitor! Yes, the collar and lapel are a big detail I'm focusing on, as well as the athletic back taper. Currently I don't have the luxury to use uniform thickness leather, so the panels are made out of very different animals lol, 4oz goat that's thick, plush and pliable, 3.5oz Italian cowhide (I believe my T2 from Bates was made out of this), it's nice, chrome tanned, but more for BMW carseats..., I do have a fantastic black, coated veg goat (the D pocket is made of it), amazing color and grain. It squeaks like nobody's biz due to the waterproof coating.

Collar and lapels are the most important deal for me but many makers seem to completely ignore it and make it as standard as possible. And you've nailed the Half-belt look, too. And the sleeves. Just the right proportions all around. You'll be killin' it in no time.

Edward

Bartender
I like the simple, functional design of these French-worker-style unlined chore jackets and own a few, all obtained cheap at military surplus shops Stateside [a blue cotton drill of German origin, a moleskin one from Italy, & a green cotton twill from Sweden]. The only detail I find frustrating is the near total lack of drop from shoulder to waist, across the board. Which is not simply an aesthetic issue - I often use them as shop clothes, both for the convenient pockets & to protect my shirt from stains or tears - and the extra loose fabric around the belly will often drag into bench work, getting glue, paint or stain on it, etc.

It's gotten annoying enough I plan on getting them all taken in once the virus subsides a bit. Which would likely cost more than the price of purchase!

THe boxy shape work for me at the minute; I'm still shifting the weight down, and many jackets with a more 'v'ed shape are too tight for me once they hit the belly and can't be fastened. It is, of course, true to the originals in shape, as they were intended to fit ove whatever was being worn for the season, to protect the French workman's clothes from manual labour. It could be that some tucked or belted them if there was a concern about machinery... I'm not sure how far or whether the basic design pre-dates industrialisation. (They also have an interesting echo of the Mao suit, though those were taditionally four-pocket; I don't recall exactly the reason, but it's tied in with Taoism and trsaditional Chinese spirituality.) The more expensive, fashion-oriented jackets are definitely tapered; Im' guessing because mine was aiem at the cheaper end of the market it makes sense to make it boxyt so fewer sizes fit a wider range. I must get some photos. I'm very pelased with it; as we're still largely under lockdown conditions in my home, it's great to have something I can throw on over an undershirt on the rare occasion I do step outside to go to tohe shop or walk the dog. Nice quality cotton too - way better than I'd anticipated.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Just had arrive in Perth Western Australia a Fidelity café racer in 44" , brown steerhide. In VERY good order.

A big shout out to robinray , a gentleman forum member. So sorry not "coming" per se but here this arvo.

I have lubed the Talon zippers with zipper lube , and treated the jacket with R.M. Williams leather treatment.

Tomorrow whatever has not penetrated will be buffed with a soft terry towel, that's my method anyways.

The jacket did not perhaps need the 100% treatment but I do it to all my used jackets on arrival.

Photos are from the supplier , robinray of Sheffield UK , I will get new pics onto the "What jacket" thread soon.

Fidelity cafe racer 1.jpg

Fidelity cafe racer 2.jpg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Ugh. Why not YKK? I never heard of a KKK zipper before. Maybe you can just change the pulls. Would be a pain to go through all that trouble though.

Ugh. Why not YKK? I never heard of a KKK zipper before. Maybe you can just change the pulls. Would be a pain to go through all that trouble though.

Haha, I dunno what they were thinking. The main zipper is a YKK, the rest are all KKK. So stupid! It's a cool jacket otherwise and fits so nice.
Replacing pulls is what I meant, just gotta find some nice chain pulls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ