Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
These were often "photo-shopped". :) Painted either directly over photos, like the one above, or the artist drew on a transparent layer. but regardless, the quality of the advertisement illustration of the era was extremely high. The lineart illustrations were fantastic. 70's saw some of the best ad art I've seen and then it all abruptly ended.

Is that because back then colour photography was still too expensive?
A quick google tells me colour photography became readily available in the 60s but that the prices remained high untill the 70s.
I assume that in the late 40s it was probably cheaper/easier to take a B&W pic and have it colorized by hand than to take a colour picture.

Is that because back then colour photography was still too expensive?
A quick google tells me colour photography became readily available in the 60s but that the prices remained high untill the 70s.
I assume that in the late 40s it was probably cheaper/easier to take a B&W pic and have it colorized by hand than to take a colour picture.

That and catalogues started off with illustrations and people were used to seeing clean product images. Even when photos became available, they'd still retouch them to get that clear, perfect representation of a product. Colors, shape, silhouette, details, etc. which can get lost on just a photo.

7864fa7b568f656e36189cab4b82e835.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
God, I remember mainly black and white catalog ads until the 1980's, often with a color cover or center. Many people preferred the look and for some products color adds nothing much to people's willingness to buy. From memory, it was considered too hard to reproduce well in catalogs (blurry, etc) and too expensive for mere advertising.

I believe the cost was more in the printing- 4 colors vs 1 with separations for each image and 4 screens having to be made...much easier to make a 1 color screen back then. Digital has really revolutionized the printing process.

That and catalogues started off with illustrations and people were used to seeing clean product images. Even when photos became available, they'd still retouch them to get that clear, perfect representation of a product. Colors, shape, silhouette, details, etc. which can get lost on just a photo.

7864fa7b568f656e36189cab4b82e835.jpg
I want every single one of these jackets and at those prices too! Even the pig looks good for Gods sake.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I want every single one of these jackets and at those prices too! Even the pig looks good for Gods sake.

At those prices, you really should double up on EACH one man--at least!!! Get a size up in case you gain a few!!!! The sad rub would be if we made the same wages as back then :oops:...... I wonder what the adjusted price really breaks down to be relative to what the standard wage rate was??

These catalogs are priceless! I love the pictures in some of Terry's old catalogs where the dude is smoking a pipe in his leather jacket!!!!!!!

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Several seldom scene Hercules have come up as of late. This one is another I had not seen. The half-belt with this front pocket configuration and the cuffs remind me of mix styles. I found the first listing for this jacket in the 1949 Sears catalog. It is listed in the 49, 50, 51 Catalogs. The "new" Outerwear label is first shown in the 52 Catalog. It is pictured here with the older label.

About my age, 68.

View attachment 246256 View attachment 246257

You can see that Nylon was being touted as like this new cutting edge resilient liner they were using. I have recently mentioned this liner when discussing the Hercules purchases of Ton and Mr. Frown. It really is a cool liner. You don't see the pure nylon liners much. It's funny how enamored people became with the new synthetic materials of the day. They especially exploded onto the scene post WWII.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dude i love them, i had jc put one on my Arcadia
Me too! The first zipper he put on my Arcadia failed when the tape tore around the insertion pin shortly after receiving the jacket. It was a vintage Talon and John was surprised because he said he had not experienced that problem with them before. Since I had already had a riri installed on my Bootlegger I knew that I liked them. I know they don’t go 100% with the vintage aesthetic but they work dammit!

Edward

Bartender
Got one of these on the way.

Brown-Chore-Jacket--00

Very much a light, Summer jacket; I'd say, having felt one in-store, it's about eight ounce cotton. Ideal for covering up from the Sun, without being too warm as all my current jackets are. If this works well, I might just buy a second one and dye it black (alas, this mid brown is the only colour they currently do them in).

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Brown-Chore-Jacket--00

Very much a light, Summer jacket; I'd say, having felt one in-store, it's about eight ounce cotton. Ideal for covering up from the Sun, without being too warm as all my current jackets are. If this works well, I might just buy a second one and dye it black (alas, this mid brown is the only colour they currently do them in).
The image isn't showing

Cornelius

Practically Family

Brown-Chore-Jacket--00

Maker?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't have Vanson yet (I was considering a custom chopper, still not sure of colours)
Oh boy, you are in for a treat! Reach out to Constantine at Vanson when you are ready to get the bell rolling. He loves leather jackets as much as we do and he is a lot of fun to work with. Based on past collaborations you have shown us I’m sure you will end up with something truly unique by the time all is said and done.

Edward

Bartender
The image isn't showing

Odd, I can see it - was it delayed? Can you see it now?

Of all people... TU Clothing. The in-house clothing brand of Sainsburys Supermarket. I've bought quite a few bits from them over the years - long as you don't expect too much for the money, they're generally surpringly good. This is £22 new.

Actually quite a few even if it looks as if I tried everything, I don't have Vanson yet (I was considering a custom chopper, still not sure of colours), neither Aero for that matter.

No Aero? Hmn. I'm sure that's a potential breach of forum rules.... :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto