Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
New to me Aero black heavy CXL HH with that softened feel. I think it from the early 2000s When Aero was getting heavier CXL HH. The leather is general smooth no creases some graining. The only negative is the wool blanket lining itchy and too warm for the San Francisco peninsula weather. But I got the jacket cheap enough that with a relining I will still be into the jacket for less than $450
The haze is due to the Northern CA fires

View attachment 255731 View attachment 255732
Looks great. Do you know which model it is? Back pic?

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The sailor in me stroke again...

images

I just got off the phone with Bates.
They are open, and can make any of their jackets from over the years...They still have all the patterns. Including the awesome 70s collar!
I am going to schedule a fitting :)
@ton312, I will be in touch.
Dude!! That’s awesome! I can get you pics and measurements of the collar. It really is the best. I like the sound of your mods! Sounds like a super cool jacket! I still love mine. That’s my rock n’ roller for sure!
F49B8622-C9A4-4A88-9FB6-600F4A7D6FB3.jpeg

Let's see if it happens...waiting to see if Fed bonus continues first. :eek: and if any work comes my way.
Honestly, I wasn't sure if Bates still existed. I've been looking for one like Ton's for quite awhile, but no luck in my size. I found their instagram page, but no posts since March. I looked up their site, and they are here in LA. There was a phone number, so I gave a call and got an answer...

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I got a sample of Aero’s goat suede that Ken sourced for the majestic and I am thinking of having a Hooch Hauler made with it. The suede is quite soft, and the skin or outside of the leather is pretty nice in its own right, and I guess that is what makes this a better quality suede. I am thinking of using the skin side for the collar and facing, pocket welts, cuffs, top back panel, and half belt or mid panel to create a sort of two-tone effect. I have been considering a goat civilian aviator cross zip and trying to find a light weight hide. The Aero goat suede is 2.5 oz, and seems pretty light weight and malleable.

The topside examples of 30s suede are probably the inspiration for Ken’s design of the majestic, I have not seen a 30s example of a civilian aviator cross zip. Given that suede is not the preferred leather, I would appreciate any comments.
IMG_1250.jpeg
IMG_1251.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I guess that is what makes this a better quality suede.
Don't let @Monitor hear this :p
Sounds like a great project. I love the design of the hooch hauler and I think using front or backside of the leather will look awesome with this design.

What about the centre back vent? The hooch hauler has an open centre vent and I think giving it the two tone effects will look great, but I'm not sure how that open vent will work with such soft and pliable leather. It might be prone to overstretch and stay open? Like on this vintage jacket
644AEBFE-39AE-4242-A274-27533824345B.jpeg

Im not sure whether that's a real issue though. I had this Ralph Lauren jacket which was made of very flexible, almost spongy cowhide. It had an open centre vent which didn't stretch or stay open at all.
08533F22-8D35-4F17-B4E7-EBDE1D1B96CB.jpeg

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Don't let @Monitor hear this :p
Sounds like a great project. I love the design of the hooch hauler and I think using front or backside of the leather will look awesome with this design.

What about the centre back vent? The hooch hauler has an open centre vent and I think giving it the two tone effects will look great, but I'm not sure how that open vent will work with such soft and pliable leather. It might be prone to overstretch and stay open? Like on this vintage jacket View attachment 256030

Im not sure whether that's a real issue though. I had this Ralph Lauren jacket which was made of very flexible, almost spongy cowhide. It had an open centre vent which didn't stretch or stay open at all. View attachment 256029
Thanks for the response, I'm not sure what I think about the Peters Leather original center pleat. I know @Carlos840 had a pretty funny take on the back of the Hooch Hauler, and Sunset. Holly ran it by production and they said "we all agree that it would look great". Holly then ran it by Ken and he said "it would be less traditional, but it would work". Looking at one of the Sunset promotional photos I think Carlos might have been right.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-hooch-hauler-and-freewheelers-sun-set.95137/

00025138.JPG

Last edited:
I got a sample of Aero’s goat suede that Ken sourced for the majestic and I am thinking of having a Hooch Hauler made with it. The suede is quite soft, and the skin or outside of the leather is pretty nice in its own right, and I guess that is what makes this a better quality suede. I am thinking of using the skin side for the collar and facing, pocket welts, cuffs, top back panel, and half belt or mid panel to create a sort of two-tone effect. I have been considering a goat civilian aviator cross zip and trying to find a light weight hide. The Aero goat suede is 2.5 oz, and seems pretty light weight and malleable.

The topside examples of 30s suede are probably the inspiration for Ken’s design of the majestic, I have not seen a 30s example of a civilian aviator cross zip. Given that suede is not the preferred leather, I would appreciate any comments.
View attachment 256026 View attachment 256027

Lol that's not suede!

Ok, there was some mix up with the samples. They are sending more. It does look like goat though. Yep, double LOL

I mean, it's goat, but it's not suede. It's leather. Flipping the leather upside down doesn't make it suede. We can't have two names for one thing. Then every leather ever is suede. What's on the photos is leather and if I'm reading the description on Aero's site right, it is what they're supposed to be using for the Majestic but having the fuzzy side facing outwards doesn't make it suede.

If you get a jacket made out of this, you'll get a nice leather jacket! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo