Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Don't let @Monitor hear this :p
Sounds like a great project. I love the design of the hooch hauler and I think using front or backside of the leather will look awesome with this design.

What about the centre back vent? The hooch hauler has an open centre vent and I think giving it the two tone effects will look great, but I'm not sure how that open vent will work with such soft and pliable leather. It might be prone to overstretch and stay open? Like on this vintage jacket View attachment 256030

Im not sure whether that's a real issue though. I had this Ralph Lauren jacket which was made of very flexible, almost spongy cowhide. It had an open centre vent which didn't stretch or stay open at all. View attachment 256029
Himel did a similar back with The Ross MK1, but it looks a little different in the Shinki Suede.
Dark_Brown_Shinki_Suede_Ross_Back_Web_22b42035-94a1-4a1e-baff-b0a47a0ea01d_2048x-1.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
my goat jacket also has a very soft suede inside, probably goathide would make a great draping suede jacket, if I ever want a suede jacket, then I would have in goat unlined, just having the finished side facing inside, so I can maintain it by conditioning from inside from time to time. I wonder if sheep has also a good suede, as they are also light and draping

I agree that goathide makes the best... Ugh... suede, air bunnies. But yeah. it's got the most velvety inside, it's soft and durable. Cowhide and horsehide rough-out isn't all too nice and I'd avoid it for any rough-out jacket.

Shinki "suede" is a scam and a theft.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I mean, it's goat, but it's not suede. It's leather. Flipping the leather upside down doesn't make it suede. We can't have two names for one thing. Then every leather ever is suede. What's on the photos is leather and if I'm reading the description on Aero's site right, it is what they're supposed to be using for the Majestic but having the fuzzy side facing outwards doesn't make it suede.

If you get a jacket made out of this, you'll get a nice leather jacket! :D
I beg to ask the question what is suede? I am guessing the sample Aero sent Jonesy is rough out goat?

I beg to ask the question what is suede? I am guessing the sample Aero sent Jonesy is rough out goat?

To me, suede is split. What Aero sent Jonesy is regular leather. Calling the sample anything but that means giving leather two names with somewhat distinct meanings.

Problem is that some makers will refer to the fuzzy side of (top/full grain) leather as suede. I don't think that's very fair as it still is a much higher quality leather than the split hide. I like the term rough-out.

main-qimg-760a320e2e64b02c102d7034a444efa7.webp

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
yeah but the term is suede, be it a roughout suede if you will. probably a wornout part of the grain that is starting to feel velvety also called sueding

Last edited:
yeah but the term is suede, be it a roughout suede if you will. probably a wornout part of the grain that is starting to feel velvety also called sueding

That won't do. Accepting such abstract definition transforms the term into a lie and lie must be destroyed on sight. If a full grain leather is to be called suede, then the term must not apply to split hide 'cause otherwise it'll turn into a marketing ploy. Which it already is. Henceforth, Shinki suede. That doesn't mean anything! Shinki is the finish, the surface, the grain! Shinki split is still just that - the split.

Aero isn't doing their Majestic line a favor by calling it the same as what many other makers refer to split hide. They gotta go full on Stu on this matter and point out that they're not using crappy split for their jackets but instead a full grain leather. Otherwise, for many people, it all falls down in the same category known as suede.

People think rain is bad for "suede". There's an entire Seinfeld episode about how rain ruined suede. Sure it is, it's bad for a thin layer of split. Anything is bad for that kinda stuff but rain won't do anything bad to a fuzzy side of leather.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That won't do. Accepting such abstract definition transforms the term into a lie and lie must be destroyed on sight. If a full grain leather is to be called suede, then the term must not apply to split hide 'cause otherwise it'll turn into a marketing ploy. Which it already is. Henceforth, Shinki suede. That doesn't mean anything! Shinki is the finish, the surface, the grain! Shinki split is still just that - the split.

Aero isn't doing their Majestic line a favor by calling it the same as what many other makers refer to split hide. They gotta go full on Stu on this matter and point out that they're not using crappy split for their jackets but instead a full grain leather. Otherwise, for many people, it all falls down in the same category known as suede.

People think rain is bad for "suede". There's an entire Seinfeld episode about how rain ruined suede. Sure it is, it's bad for a thin layer of split. Anything is bad for that kinda stuff but rain won't do anything bad to a fuzzy side of leather.

One of the best episodes!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cool. Just that spot shows up looking a little odd on my tablet, glad to hear it’s nothing serious. Love to see some fit photos as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo