How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Feb 12, 2017.

1. willyto

willyto One Too Many

I wasn't supposed to get a new jacket before I sold my two other ones but this 50s jacket was a bargain and in my size so I just bought it today on Ebay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A-1, Edward, red devil and 7 others like this.
  2. crimsonofsam

crimsonofsam One of the Regulars

I've got my second Johnson Leathers custom arriving this week.

3. ton312

ton312

Please post!

4. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

None. And none.
    Life. Bowl of cherries.

navetsea, bn1966, Sloan1874 and 3 others like this.
  5. technovox

technovox One Too Many

Which Langlitz?

6. Americanaaa Mark

Americanaaa Mark A-List Customer

It's a Columbia but it's got shoulder pads and the watch & chest pocket.

It's not quite a padded pocket Columbia cause I dropped the elbow pads and arm pockets.

El Marro likes this.
  7. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I'm waiting on a Columbia as well. The basic two pocket model but with a 1947 style collar and bottom stiffening band.

Americanaaa Mark and Peacoat like this.
  8. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Nice. It looks like a jacket I would have worn in the 50s had I been wearing cool jackets.

9. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

Very nice Willy, now if only I still had the figure for it. Is it suede?

10. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

Now then, what have I ordered and what do I want?
    Well I guess I only buy a new one every 4 years or so and as last year I bought my Thunderbay I guess I have another 3 years to go. Well maybe not quite.
    As to potential jackets, we will have to see what comes up that takes my fancy.
    Desperately trying to loose a couple of stone for my summer hols now and then I may get back into my Lucky 7 Seven, which if I achieve will mean I can wear a bigger range I come across :)

Edward likes this.
  11. Monitor

Monitor

@navetsea , what project do you have going on there??

12. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

^of noo :eek: next year man... next year
    I want something with button to go with buttoned sleeve cuff (I :( envied Ton's)

Monitor likes this.
  13. samo

samo One of the Regulars

Waiting this one from Thedi :)

Attached Files:

A-1, handymike, El Marro and 4 others like this.
  14. Edward

Edward Bartender

Ah, yes - you mean like this one?

[​IMG]

It is very nice. When I get the length of my Lightning, I think I'm probably going to go with the classic black, though I do rather like the very dark navy/midnight/almost black they've also done in the past. I'm hoping to eliminate the zipper pocket on the left forearm, which didn't appear until 1962. I'll elect instead to stick to the orignial 58 spec.

I've never been worried about exposing my leathers to a bit of rain, but yes they wouldn't be the jackets I'd specifically choose for rain, given that most of them are short, and a longer jacket is much preferable for that. The Indy aside, for warmer climes I tend to reach for a cotton or linen jacket, or something like one of my Harringtons. Hopefully at some point I'll get to travel when it's 'leather jacket weather' more often.... Particularly in the US (though my US adventures I suspect may well be curtailed for some time now, at least until the pound makes it more affordable. At the minute, buying a Perfecto direct from Schott would cost me more than an Aero!).

Ha, looking forward to seeing that one. Those two years went in quick! (Did holding off withbeing on John's waiting list stop you from buying any more jackets? ;) ).

Lovely looking jacket, nice score. I'm intrigued by the combination of buttoned cuffs and knit waistband - not oned I've seen often. Looks great.

15. Monitor

Monitor

@Edward , Did you see the really cool scene with the Rocker in the Rock & Chips? Seemed really authentic to me. The guy's wearing some kinda Lightning but I'm not sure whose version, was it Mascot, LL, Highwayman, etc. It's a fun scene, worth a watch if you missed it and I know you'd appreciate it as much as I did. :D

[​IMG]

Edward likes this.
  16. Edward

Edward Bartender

I know I watched the whole series, so I must have seen it, but to be honest I don't fully recall that one. I must try and see it again. Cracking show.

You know, it's about time that somebody did a period piece set among the Rocker subculture. There have been lots of mod revival things over the years, but despite - or perhaps because of - the rockers persisting as a subculture, unbroken, you don't seem to see rocker versions of the likes of Quadrophenia. Cool leather jackets, classic British motorcycles, and searing rock and roll (a real opportunity to popularise some of the lesser known but fantastic Brit bands from the British rock andc roll boom of the pre-Beatles sixties)... how could it fail? Maybe we need Irvine Welsh to write a British version of Cry Baby. They could even shoot on location at the Ace Cafe....

bn1966 and Monitor like this.
  17. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

image.jpg image.jpg

New Brooks CR in Black (later model) arrived today, nice jacket, deserves far better pics.
    It's a size 50 which works in all but the sleeve length (going to look to get Byson leathers to shorten them).

ton312, Harris HTM and ButteMT61 like this.
  18. willyto

willyto One Too Many

It's a very cool design, specially the colours that are not very common.

Yes it is suede. First one I will have. I guess I will have to be a bit more careful with it but otherwise I'm looking forward to it.

I think it will look great with high waisted pants for that 40-50s look.

That's what I liked about it. If it all was knit cuffs it wouldn't have caught my attention so much. I prefer button cuffs or no buttons but not a fan of knit sleeves cuffs as of today. The buttons got me excited because they were buttons I've seen in 1930s jackets before although this one is from a later era.

Also the liner, I've never had such a liner before:

[​IMG]

I hope it's not too warm!

Also I have to be honest about the rain and leather...I don't really care. If it rains so much that my jacket is going to get soaked I just wear an umbrella or wait for the rain to stop for a while. If I feel like wearing a leather jacket I just wear it and the weather does not have any weight in my decission. In fact during the past 5 trips to the UK last year I wore leather jackets in all of them and was expecting London and Edimburgh to be rainy and didn't wear an unbrella. Only in one occasion in May it didn't rain and I was wearing my A-2 ELC...had to carry it almost all the time in my hand because it was too warm.

I believe people babysit their leather jackets in here way too much and sometimes beyond any reason. It's meant to be worn in any condition you can imagine, people wore them in the farm, streets, airplanes, pubs, factories while working in the backyard, in their cars... are you really telling me that your leather jackets can't handle being put in the luggage compartment? I mean I don't even do that, I just wear it while seated and I wouldn't put it there not because I'm worried about the jacket being harmed but because I would be worried about someone trying to steal it!

ButteMT61 and Edward like this.
  19. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

Yep that's the one! I really like that colour.
    Very interesting to learn about the original one not having the zipper on the left forearm. I don't think they would have a problem with that request.
    A pocket on the right forearm would be very practical for skiing, maybe I should spec it on the off-chance I use it for that wacky purpose :D

Edward likes this.
  20. Monitor

Monitor

Signed and seconded! I've been through every British so called biker flick and other than the Leather Boys, which in itself is a movie about a whole different matter, everything else is either an exploitation crap or just crap altogether with no rocker culture or nothing. That BBC Timeshift episode and an occasional homage in other stuff is the only glimpse you can get into the scene. Provided you weren't there and I wasn't. There's a lot more going on with the revival stuff and even that's been hipsterized to the point it became a mockery of itself.
    Though I fear even if they made one now it'd be pins, pins and pins which is why I was very impressed to see that scene in Rock & Chips. Plus, I don't think all that many people would be very interested in it why with all those insanely interesting television series such as Boreton Abbey. I mean, how many freaking post-Edwardian period dramas about constipated British lords and their servants talking about absolutely nothing can one stand?

Edward and bn1966 like this.