Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Not sure where to put this, but this section seems the most appropriate. Purchased a jacket on ebay last week, a Schott HH cafe racer, or at least that's what it was advertised as. It came yesterday, I'm a bit confused, but overall pretty happy. It does have a Schott main zipper, but no other tags, etc. I'm thinking maybe it was relined? Maybe the zipper was replaced? The sleeve zippers are "universal". My knowledge of horsehide is pretty limited, but this does appear to be horsehide to me at least(the shine, the rolls on the sleeves, the grain), am I wrong? It's much lighter than the CXL FQHH on my Aero, but I think most leathers probably are. It does look a lot like the 641 HH, so maybe it's one of those, with a different liner? It's in great shape, and most importantly, I think it fits me pretty well. That part is the most surprising, as the sellers description was a bit um, cryptic... Anyway, here are some photos. Have a look and let me know what you all think.(apologies for the dirty mirror in the "selfie"!) View attachment 316829 View attachment 316831 View attachment 316832
great fit, not boxy but waisted on the waist, 2way zip, leather looks awesome, slant chest pockets, real racing collar, Schott or not it is objectively a pleasingly designed jacket

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Not sure where to put this, but this section seems the most appropriate. Purchased a jacket on ebay last week, a Schott HH cafe racer, or at least that's what it was advertised as. It came yesterday, I'm a bit confused, but overall pretty happy. It does have a Schott main zipper, but no other tags, etc. I'm thinking maybe it was relined? Maybe the zipper was replaced? The sleeve zippers are "universal". My knowledge of horsehide is pretty limited, but this does appear to be horsehide to me at least(the shine, the rolls on the sleeves, the grain), am I wrong? It's much lighter than the CXL FQHH on my Aero, but I think most leathers probably are. It does look a lot like the 641 HH, so maybe it's one of those, with a different liner? It's in great shape, and most importantly, I think it fits me pretty well. That part is the most surprising, as the sellers description was a bit um, cryptic... Anyway, here are some photos. Have a look and let me know what you all think.(apologies for the dirty mirror in the "selfie"!) View attachment 316829 View attachment 316831 View attachment 316832

Could be a 641xx in horse hide or this one Schott ショット レア!! 641SXX HORWEEN ホーウィン クロムエクセル シングルライダースジャケット ブラック 641XX 38 /【Buyee】 "Buyee" Japanese Proxy Service | Buy from Japan! bot-online.

A 641 has the side strap, this one doesn't.

I just got the 641xx last week and it's glorious. Are the sleeves sort of poofy in the upper arm and then taper in, but on the shorter side in overall length?

dannyk

One Too Many
I recently ordered a Vanson Chopper from Thurston Bros as my first good quality leather jacket. It should be arriving soon and I am very excited to receive it and put some wear on it.
I had one. Recently sold it. Not because it wasn’t a great jacket; but because I’m a member of this forum and I can’t stop buying, trading, and selling. It’s an addiction haha. I can tell you mine was made from competition weight and it was a beast of a jacket. Heavy as hell and the type of jacket you’d want if in a knife fight or zombie apocalypse.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Dannyk,
I went with the competition weight as well. I've heard really great things so I'm definitely looking forward to wearing it. I keep telling myself I'll be a one and done kind of guy, but we'll see. My poor Grad student budget can't take another hobby.

I recently ordered a Vanson Chopper from Thurston Bros as my first good quality leather jacket. It should be arriving soon and I am very excited to receive it and put some wear on it.

Great jacket. Congrats. This one is mine:

66EBA1EB-6DE0-40C0-BECF-B2058F1D72AC.jpeg

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I had one. Recently sold it. Not because it wasn’t a great jacket; but because I’m a member of this forum and I can’t stop buying, trading, and selling. It’s an addiction haha. I can tell you mine was made from competition weight and it was a beast of a jacket. Heavy as hell and the type of jacket you’d want if in a knife fight or zombie apocalypse.

I have a question for you, if you don't mind. Is there anything I should be doing to maintain the competition weight leather, like conditioning products or similar? Thank you for your time.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I have a question for you, if you don't mind. Is there anything I should be doing to maintain the competition weight leather, like conditioning products or similar? Thank you for your time.

If I may, I can chime in. I have had my Chopper for ages (also Comp weight), and I never did anything for it. It has seen rain and lots of snow, without any harm to the hide. That said, Comp weight changes a lot from batch to batch, and mine seems to be a very hard wearing one. I have complained elsewhere that it´s not really showing any patina other than the top coat chipping off in places.
For sure, you don´t "need" to do any conditioning etc. for the first 1-2 years or so if you "just" use the jacket hard.

Mandarin

Practically Family
Look for the pocket ticket to check the model number. It should indicate what kind of leather was used. Yours really looks like HH. Usually the tag is in a pocket. If it isn't, it sometimes is inside the jacket under the lining.

Could be a 641xx in horse hide or this one Schott ショット レア!! 641SXX HORWEEN ホーウィン クロムエクセル シングルライダースジャケット ブラック 641XX 38 /【Buyee】 "Buyee" Japanese Proxy Service | Buy from Japan! bot-online.

I just got the 641xx last week and it's glorious. Are the sleeves sort of poofy in the upper arm and then taper in, but on the shorter side in overall length?

Hm, don't think it's 641xx. It's similar but also different in many details. 641xx is strikingly Schott design while the other jacket just doesn't look like anything I recognize.
Double zipper is especially weird. I'm thinking it's either something from Schott Made-elsewhere line or an Alibaba special - Wouldn't personally care either way, the jacket looks stunning.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Did you check the pockets for ID numbers? Schotts usually have those.

Schambach

Practically Family

It does look a good bit like that. The sleeves are a bit poofy up high, but don't taper quite as much as say, the aero I have. And overall length doens't seem short to me. It also only has one button on the collar.

Schambach

Practically Family
Hm, don't think it's 641xx. It's similar but also different in many details. 641xx is strikingly Schott design while the other jacket just doesn't look like anything I recognize.
Double zipper is especially weird. I'm thinking it's either something from Schott Made-elsewhere line or an Alibaba special - Wouldn't personally care either way, the jacket looks stunning.

I'm not too concerned the maker, just very curious. And yes, I'm happy with it regardless, the fit is just about perfect and I didn't spend too much money.

dannyk

One Too Many
To echo @Tom71 I would do nothing. And that will apply to most leathers; just so you know for future reference. Any good/quality leathers won’t need much for years and years. Like 10-15 years. Other than the occasional wipe down with a cloth and water or a non-harmful weak soap. That’s about all you should need, and even that only if it’s gotten completely soaked, something harmful spilled on it, or if you ride and got bugs all over it. Most leathers have protective finishes on them, or waxes and greases sealed into them to keep the leather conditioned. If you really really wear your jackets hard then maybe it will need conditioning more than once every 12 years, but it’s one of those things you’ll know it when it needs it. Otherwise wipe it down when dirty and wear the hell out of it.

Last edited:

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
If I may, I can chime in. I have had my Chopper for ages (also Comp weight), and I never did anything for it. It has seen rain and lots of snow, without any harm to the hide. That said, Comp weight changes a lot from batch to batch, and mine seems to be a very hard wearing one. I have complained elsewhere that it´s not really showing any patina other than the top coat chipping off in places.
For sure, you don´t "need" to do any conditioning etc. for the first 1-2 years or so if you "just" use the jacket hard.
Got a pic of the jacket ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112