Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
@Carlos840

FL (not mine) next to LW

Personally I like the Shinki a lot better than the somewhat dull LW horsehide (hardly any color depth).

What I really dislike about the FL is the sharp / square shoulder.

Overall the FL looks more feminine and the LW more 'manly'

DE75C595-A414-40A8-92BF-D66F82589813.jpeg

B275AC99-C704-4A50-9AFB-495A9AD98744.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
@Carlos840

FL (not mine) next to LW

Personally I like the Shinki a lot better than the somewhat dull LW horsehide (hardly any color depth).

View attachment 443728
View attachment 443730

Stu just sent me a closeup of the buttons:

p6tkbef.jpg

I don't think comparing the leathers like that is fair, the LW is pictured under bad artificial lightning and the Field next to a nice sunny window...

Also, i am going to ride in that jacket, and i would not ride in a shinki jacket, it's just no tough enough...
I'll post "better" pics when i get it, i just sent Stu a shipping label, shoudl be here next week.

Edward

Bartender
It looks like it needs more studs!

Studs: the cowbell of the leather jacket world.

I was walking in NYC, and I saw someone with a similar looking jacket. I asked him if he did it himself, and he explained that it took him 2 years while his band was driving in a van around the country. It was really cool to see a homemade one in-person and speak with the creator.

It's nice to see something organic, somebody really make a jacket their own. Not that production line versions can't look great too, but they rather lose their effect when you see more than one of them together. Mass-produced uniqueness.... I'll never forget looking in the window of, I think it was Primark on Oxford Street a few years ago. There on a rail were a dozen cross-zip style jackets, each and every one with an identical, faux-paint, screen-printed legend on the back which read "Be Individual". To this day I sorely regret not having a camera on me, it was so comical. I'd love to think it was an ironic comment on the nature of consumerism (same as all of those commercially printed t-shirts with Che Guevara or an anarchy symbol on them), but I suspect that would be overly optimistic.

Also, there is always unknown with Stuart, he will do what he thinks is best, whether you like it or not.
For example i had sourced and shipped him some really nice Corozo cats eyes buttons, but i could tell he didn't like them, i told him that they where period correct, that Corozo was very common at that time beofre bakelite and plastic replaced it. He was just not into them.

When he sent me the pics his only comment was: " i sourced some genuine mother-of-pearl cats eye period buttons that are big upgrade over the current plastics."

He just couldn't bring himself to use the Corozo ones that he hates so much, no matter how i feel about them and the fact i am not a fan of the shiny mother of pearl.

It's the Stuart way, he knows what he wants.

There is that. Fair enough, really, as long as the buyer knows that going in. Aero and many others don't like to do certain things. I can well understand taking that line. It's not as if they're cooking a steak for the buyer (I have a pathological hatred of pretentious eateries that refuse to actually cook meat properly, making up excuses like "it ruins the flavour" and other such rot for only serving stuff half raw); any jacket that goes out the door with their name on it will be seen as representative of what they do, so they want to be happy with it.

@Carlos840

FL (not mine) next to LW

View attachment 443728
View attachment 443730

You bet the Lost Worlds is manly! They're the manliest manly jackets around, and we forum ladies better understand that! ;)

Buttons are an interesting point of difference. I think I like the bright buttons on the LW better than the tonal black, as they catch the light the way I'd expect chrome or brass would. Works well with the zips for me. Actually I think jean style stud-buttons would look good on this design too, though I'm not familiar enough with the pattern to know if there was any such thing ever used on the originals. Nice back to the design.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As Edward said, maybe Stu wanted the mother-of-pearl buttons to catch light in addition to providing contrast to black leather. It will be easy to get used to them. Great jacket. You must open a LW Museum!
Does it mater what Stu thinks? IMO, Corozo or Pearl. It is just the look. It is nothing structural or has to do with practicality or durability. Stu as designer is a scary thought. It is like a structural engineer who tries to convince the client that he can be the architect as well.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
@Carlos840

FL (not mine) next to LW

View attachment 443728
View attachment 443730

Just noticed one of the originals that i sent to stu has three piece sleeves too...
He said it was a bit a nightmare to do cause every peters you see pictured is different.

b01FG26.jpg

AfYJyTs.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Peter's Galore! Let's not forget the Bison JL one that RedDevil has - A Peters jacket made in San Fran about a hundred years later...
It's really hard to tell how these jackets will sit on a body. They were suppose to be short like a C2 Vanson right? But the half belt design and the side corsets gives the illusion of a much longer jacket.
I was hoping for this below which I think the LW has capture the look best, with the extra zipper strip and higher pockets.
vintageleatherjackets000150000.jpg

But I think I am getting this below which is more FW / FL design up front, with lower pockets making the jacket look longer.
vintageleatherjackets000120000.jpg

The wait for package is the worst.

dwilson

A-List Customer
How is the quality of Canada Goose these days? I have their bomber and a vest from the pre-buyout days and I bought their hybridge jacket maybe 4 years ago. The latter's quality is vastly inferior to the older ones(which is really top notch) but it may also be because it designed to just be a lighter jacket.

I also thought the brand must not be popular anymore since I rarely see them on the west coast. Then I had a layover in Chicago and I think every other person in the airport had a CG logo on their arm.

ojaw

A-List Customer
How is the quality of Canada Goose these days? I have their bomber and a vest from the pre-buyout days and I bought their hybridge jacket maybe 4 years ago. The latter's quality is vastly inferior to the older ones(which is really top notch) but it may also be because it designed to just be a lighter jacket.

I also thought the brand must not be popular anymore since I rarely see them on the west coast. Then I had a layover in Chicago and I think every other person in the airport had a CG logo on their arm.
I think the quality is still there in the main line. My problem with CG has historically been that because they’re so stiff they tend to pump cold air in either through the neck area or underneath, they just don’t drape very well - I also owned one that was too big for me, which exacerbated the issue. I just bought a warmer parka from Feathered Friends…

Worf

I'll Lock Up

Well the one I have from several years ago (bought used off of fleabay) is a quality parka. As good as my vintage Viet Nam era Air Force in terms of materials. It's certainly more versatile than military issue. My biggest problem with the coats are the double zips. The main zipper is a double affair that allows one to open the coat from the bottom while zipped. It is often difficult to the get the male and two female ends to align. I've felt a fool in public trying to zip the coat up. However other than that the parkas are top notch.

Worf

Due tomorrow, purchased Monday before I saw Aero’s new site launch. I may return and go through TB for a custom Sea Biscuit. I’m just loving the Original Herc so much I needed a brown counterpart.

The real shame is that @Superfluous is no longer using the site and is missing a golden opportunity to tease me for my recent turn to light weight leather. He’s really missing a golden opportunity for an “I told you so” moment, which I would happily endure.
701E21DB-C288-4261-8703-EEAA1C723A86.jpeg
6F1E5A1A-6650-4EAC-9C31-6825901D555E.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ