Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to display the American Flag properly

freebird

Practically Family
I recently subscribed to a blog called "The Art of Manliness".
In perusing I have found everything from hat etiquette to shaving
tips. I guess the best description would be the modern day Emily Post for men. Today's post is one that I thought everyone might be interested in, "How to Display the Flag Properly", especially since it is the Memorial Day weekend in the US.

freebird

Practically Family
You are most welcome. I was never a scout, or in the military, but am patriotic enough to care how our flag is treated.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What bugs me most is the use of the flag in advertising. Besides being crass and offensive, I believe it was at one time, at least, actually illegal. Pity that's no longer enforced.

(Girl Scout Honor Guard, Abnaki Council, Junior Troop 318, 1973)

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
b3faf8df.jpg

I've come to the habit of displaying the flag thusly. Not that this version has any real historical significance; it is a derivation of the old Customs flag adapted for today as a Civil Flag. It is still the Stars & Stripes, it is still 'Old Glory', with broad strips and bright stars, it just now represents the "upside down" nature of our "...Republic for which it stands."

The real significance of this American flag is the conversations it starts and the opportunity for political discourse it presents amongst (perhaps) otherwise apathetic citizens. It has given the opportunity to discuss "liberty and justice for all" in real terms outside of the pledge which we tend to recite by rote.

That should be the the purpose of a flag to begin with, don't you think!?

-dixon cannon

Miss 1929

Dixon Cannon said:
b3faf8df.jpg

I've come to the habit of displaying the flag thusly. Not that this version has any real historical significance; it is a derivation of the old Customs flag adapted for today as a Civil Flag. It is still the Stars & Stripes, it is still 'Old Glory', with broad strips and white stars, it just now represents the "upside down" nature of our "...Republic for which it stands."

The real significance of this American flag is the conversations it starts and the opportunity for political discourse it presents amongst (perhaps) otherwise apathetic citizens. It has given the opportunity to discuss "liberty and justice for all" in real terms outside of the pledge which we tend to recite by rote.

-dixon cannon

i agree, our flag should be the beginning of patriotic thought, not the end of it!

Burnsie

Thanks Freebird. I'll never forget my Pop making me run home from a neighborhood cookout because it started to drizzle - he wanted to take the flag in front of our house out of the rain. Then he had me fold it properly with him. When I moaned about leaving the cookout and "what's the big deal" he gave me a talking to I'll never forget.
Now I reference the 1939 brochure "How To Display And Respect Our Flag" and though I have nothing against Alaska or Hawaii I fly a 48 star flag (a family treasure) on special occasions.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:

No. Conversation starter may be the purpose of the flag you are displaying, but it is not the purpose of most flags. Most flags are a symbol. In the case of the Stars and Stripes, AKA Old Glory, it is a symbol of the United States of America. Your flag is not "Old Glory."

I find it telling that the only sites I can find regarding a "civil flag" are those that run wild with conspiracy theories about the federal government--sites which echo the income-tax conspiracy theories from a different thread. It is a bit amusing, though, that such sites are promoting a flag that is based upon the Revenue Ensign of the United States.

1799Ensign.jpg

These sites claim that the use of horizontal stripes indicates a military installation and the vertical stripes a civil installation. Perhaps it was seen to evolve that way, but there was no code specifying it as such. The use of vertical stripes as a part of a national flag of the US was not something that was developed and then fell by the wayside--and the Revenue Ensign had and has a particular meaning. Though it did have a few modifications over the years (a change to 15 stripes then back to 13, for example) our nation's flag has always had horizontal stripes with a blue field containing white stars. There is not a "civil" flag and a "military" flag--there is just the flag of the United States of America.

Regards,
Tom

Aviator

Familiar Face
The flag code is interesting...

More folks should read it. That link you posted (thanks) did have a supposed quote from Geo. Washington about the origin of the stripes and colors.
We take the stars from Heaven, the red from our mother country, separating it by white stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her, and the white stripes shall go down to posterity representing Liberty

I tend to take that with a grain of salt, though it makes a good story. Most agree that the colors come from:
“White signifies Purity and Innocence; Red, Hardiness and Valor; and Blue, Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice.”

Somehow, people feel that the hard work of patriots who built this country is not exciting enough and they have to embelish a little. Another example is a recent post I saw about the significance of folding the flag 13 times (this is a coincidence, because of the ratio of length X width of the flag), with each fold signifying some maudlin thing. That stuff seems to make the flag some sort of odd religious symbol, rather than a symbol of the blood, sweat, and tears of those that went before us.

That link was enlightening on not being required to burn your flag if it touches the ground...an old wive's tale I didn't know was false until about 5 or 6 years ago.
Thanks for posting, Freebird.:)

Edit: Look at that beautiful flag right above this post...it is just missing the Coast Guard symbol in the fly of it.

Vintage Betty

Thank you for posting a timely and relevant article.

Like many others on this thread, I have a pet peeve too: Seeing a flag, tattered, worn and faded, flying on a pole.

My father put out our flag for each holiday (he still does) and followed all these rules. As Scoutmaster, he taught the same rules to our neighborhood boys.

Whatever your nationality, it's important to treat your nation's flag with respect and respect your neighbor's flag also.

Vintage Betty

donCarlos

Practically Family
One question again:
Why are you americans so possessed by your flag? I mean, it has to be displayed everywhere, even when the official regulations are violated. I think that it degrades it from something "very special we are proud of" to just "the piece of cloth that´s displayed everywhere and has no real value for us".

This may be one of the reasons why we don´t usually (as a whole nation, not just my family) display the flags, even when there is some national holiday or something. But the main reason is that we were forced to display czechoslovakian a soviet flags during the last fourty years, so we´re just sick of it.

dr greg

One Too Many
bunting

The American reverence for their flag is usually a puzzle to outsiders, especially those of us who didn't throw off our colonial bonds by force.
But that's their way of doing things and that's fine.
Our flag is of no importance to me, I don't own one and wouldn't fly it if I did, unless "the butcher's apron" was taken off it at once. This does not make me unpatriotic, quite the opposite in my view.

CharlesB

Suspended
donCarlos said:
One question again:
Why are you americans so possessed by your flag? I mean, it has to be displayed everywhere, even when the official regulations are violated. I think that it degrades it from something "very special we are proud of" to just "the piece of cloth that´s displayed everywhere and has no real value for us".

This may be one of the reasons why we don´t usually (as a whole nation, not just my family) display the flags, even when there is some national holiday or something. But the main reason is that we were forced to display czechoslovakian a soviet flags during the last fourty years, so we´re just sick of it.
I'm an American and while I respect what the flag means symbolically, I find the Amercan obsession with the flag to be completely outlandish and almost fetishistic. Then again, imho the US has a bit too much hubris and jingoism for its own good these days.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A visitor's take on it...

Seeing the Stars and Stripes flying proudly from the flagmasts of many buildings on both the west and the east coasts, for me, was very, very heartening! In fact, I personally found it 'marvellous' that the people of a nation are proud enough to pin 'their' colours to the mast..literally and sing that pride from high!

My 'little' glimpse of the United States showed a melting pot of diversity representing all nations from around the world. But what unites this diversity is symbolised by a simple piece of cloth...your FLAG.

Having been brought up in a society where people have died through bullets and bombs because they have been proud to pin their colours to a flag pole, gives greater emphasis and importance for the meaning of 'flying the flag!' in my eyes at least.

I personally am a firm believer in the American tradition of 'allegience to your flag and country' starting in schools and NEVER being afraid or 'dismissive' over the importance of flying those Stars and Stripes proudly over your country :eusa_clap

So, as the thread says, "How to display the American Flag properly.." I say, display it with pride, warmth, openess and honour.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Paddy.

donCarlos said:
One question again:

What you are missing is the symbology of the flag of the United States. It's not just a trademark, like the blue oval with the word "Ford" written in script represents the Ford Motor Company. It is what the flag represents, and that is primarily freedom. It represents a set of ideals that, unfortunately, we often fail to reach but we continue to strive for. This obviously strikes a chord in people, not just here in the US but around the world--some positively, some negatively.

I believe that we may be fairly unique in even having a code on the subject of proper and improper use of the flag at all. Even more so, attempts to criminalize improper use of the flag have been struck down more than once as unconstitutional.

I did feel that people went a bit overboard following the terrorist attacks Sept 11, 2001. It wouldn't have been so bad but many of the flags were't replaced as they became damaged--they were left to hang in shreds.

As for your final comment, were you to actually be here in the US you would find that just isn't so. Yes, there are those who cynically use the flag in advertisements and other uses, but in general you'll find that the American people go from taking the flag for granted to willing to defend it to the death in nano-seconds. (Speaking somewhat wryly: For many, willing to defend it to the death often means sending someone else to defend it, I know.)

The United States is far from perfect. I do not blindly agree that everything we do is right. I feel we made some major mistakes in the past 7 years or so. I believe that the concept of "patriotism" has been cynically used and abused and not just recently--you can go back in history and see it during various times. That does not negate the principles the US was founded upon and it does not in any way detract from what the flag symbolizes.

Obviously it is a very powerful symbol. Why else would so many struggle to come here, while so many others strike at it? When all is said and done, no matter how many flags or representations of it are displayed in any way or form, what the flag stands for does not change.

Tomorrow we as a nation honor those who gave their lives in defense of that flag and the country and ideals it represents. It seems to me that we are honoring them by our discussion of that flag and those ideals.

Regards,
Tom

donCarlos

Practically Family
PADDY said:
Seeing the Stars and Stripes flying proudly from the flagmasts of many buildings on both the west and the east coasts, for me, was very, very heartening! In fact, I personally found it 'marvellous' that the people of a nation are proud enough to pin 'their' colours to the mast..literally and sing that pride from high!
Why not... But that´s just for one´s feeling. It would make much more sense if you display your flag somewhere abroad, eg. wearing the pin with it or something like that, showing "Hey, I´m American and I´m proud of it!" (btw, I think you wouldn´t make much success with this attitude in many coutnries around Europe... Or Japan... Or Vietnam...)
When you´re at home, everybody knows you are american... The reason I understand is when the family is proud of someone who died in war. That is a proper reason. But having the flag displayed just because "I´m american", that doesn´t make sense to me.

Tango Yankee said:
I believe that we may be fairly unique in even having a code on the subject of proper and improper use of the flag at all. Even more so, attempts to criminalize improper use of the flag have been struck down more than once as unconstitutional.
It´s not unique, we have this code too. every country shall have. The violation of the flag (as well as other national symbols) is punishable by law. However, there is no problem with this issue here, since the flags are only displayed by government institutions and they know how to handle it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo