Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to wear a tweed jacket?

scottc102

New in Town
Hello, i have never posted here before, but i have some questions
how would you wear a grey tweed jacket, suggestions on pants and hats appreciated, also could you wear one with jeans?

Mav

A-List Customer
A tweed sportcoat is a male wardrobe basic, and can be worn with almost anything, from jeans to slacks. Match or coordinate the hat.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just don't make the mistake of trying to wear a tweed jacket with a similar, but not identical, tweed trouser. There should be a bit of contrast. That's why a solid trouser is often seen. Tweeds were originally used as rugged outdoor clothes, so they're more informal than some other types of jackets. Can't go wrong with corduroy.
Tweed with jeans is very preppy. Not that that's a bad thing.

Hal

Practically Family
A tweed jacket goes very well with a flat cap, in plain felt, or in tweed of a different pattern but preferably similar colour

billyspew

One Too Many
scottc102 said:
Hello, i have never posted here before, but i have some questions
how would you wear a grey tweed jacket, suggestions on pants and hats appreciated, also could you wear one with jeans?

I wear mine with jeans, cords, khakis, chino etc. Very versatile.

I'd avoid trying to match the hat colour to the jacket, if it's a light grey, a dark grey should look good. I'd consider going brown or tan if your going to be wearing brown shoes.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jeans, yes, but wear them dark not washed out. Cords and moleskin trousers are great, also brown flannels.

img0783df.jpg

img0786zn.jpg

img0794d.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
I wear mine with jeans, cords, khakis, chino etc. Very versatile.

I'd avoid trying to match the hat colour to the jacket, if it's a light grey, a dark grey should look good. I'd consider going brown or tan if your going to be wearing brown shoes.

Tweed with tan or silverbelly thin ribbon works really well. It is kinda cool, because it is a bit of a blend of traditional Northern and Southern style.

Geesie

Practically Family
AlanC said:
Jeans, yes, but wear them dark not washed out. Cords and moleskin trousers are great, also brown flannels.

img0783df.jpg

img0786zn.jpg

img0794d.jpg

Love the look, btw. I think I'm going to build an outfit of my own on that.

Peacoat

Bartender
BTW, welcome to the Lounge. You will get answers to all of your questions here; may not be the right answer, but it will be an answer. I do think the above answers are on the money, though. I like tweed with jeans, but not washed out jeans, as Alan C said.

scottc102

New in Town
thanks for the advice, it almost seems like you read my mind, i was thinking of wearing the jacket with my dark pair of jeans, but i came here to be sure, also would it be acceptable to wear it without a tie for the time being until i get a dress shirt?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
You are a little up the river without a shirt, but layering can work. If it is chilly, you can go for a sweater. I really like those ones with the mock turtleneck and the zipper.
A turtleneck could also work, but I am not really a fan of that look.

And a tie is not necessary. It looks good, but tweed is casual, and an open collar, or a scarf work just as well.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
And a tie is not necessary. It looks good, but tweed is casual, and an open collar, or a scarf work just as well.

I really like this look; scarf, no tie. I would wear tweed more if I could handle the warmth, but it's tough for me. But I like it's versatility in terms of what to wear with it. I don't have to shop for stuff to work with tweed, you know?

Hal

Practically Family
Yeps said:
A turtleneck could...work...And a tie is not necessary. It looks good, but tweed is casual, and an open collar, or a scarf work just as well.
I accept that tweed is casual, but have always disliked (and am sure shall never like) the jacket-with-open-collar look (even with a scarf). The only time I don't wear a tie with a tweed jacket is when I wear a roll-collar (USA turtleneck) with it - a great winter look, in my opinion.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
scottc102 said:
thanks for the advice, it almost seems like you read my mind, i was thinking of wearing the jacket with my dark pair of jeans, but i came here to be sure, also would it be acceptable to wear it without a tie for the time being until i get a dress shirt?

A black or dark turtleneck sweater will do the trick - very laid back, very Jean Paul Belmondo in one of them french movies back from the sixties.
A man and a woman, Breathless...:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo