Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Was Your Day?

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Made two test driving dates tomorrow, in search for a new clunker, really looking forward to.

Hope tomorrow will be even better...:)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Two colleagues, both female, had a cat fight this morning over a former president and the continued scorn
the left heaps at him. Later encountered these contrite cats inside the break room; after the left paw left,
the right paw spoke to their alley brawl. Really enjoy these office embroglios and resultant philosophic summa
of the summa. ;)

Turnip

Even nicer, bought a new vehicle...:)

159b938d4e-b6890.jpg

Turnip

Good so far, just picked up my new clunker at the friendly BMW retailer.

Last edited:

Turnip

Used the day off short hours today making my tax return for last year.
Though I received not too few short hours support last year I still came out with a few hundred bucks back...:)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Postponing tax file, my usual procrastination; almost gave it a shot yesterday, both federal and state forms
but I am out of envelopes and needed an excuse for further delay. Should get back a few bucks.

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
Watched the boro guys rip up the street for the umpteenth time over yet another water pipe apparently.

I have also been amusing myself since having moved into this building in 2008 (apartment building proper), but more so my current apartment now, with watching and waiting to see how many people will cause an accident at either crossroads. I live right at the one, and just down the block is another. I stopped counting how many accidents, after 6. It is also fun to watch truck drivers manouever big rigs around the turn next to my apartment to go down the small street. More recently had a car carrier rig pull it off. (One reason why I don't need a tv. Got entertainment looking right out the window.:confused:o_O:eek:)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Reveille at 04.00 hrs, Starbucks passed since seating is forbidden, ducked inside the train station instead
with a few of the liberal freebie newspapers found within the lift top boxes. I will read these tonite on the
evening train but casual peruse seems slanted-away from the criminal, blame the police.
Even the Chicago Reader, staple of the progressive press was objective, or once was, the agenda and arrogance
grates but still some good reporting. And, at Gobble Dogs at LaSalle Street Station, a Pinot Grigio.

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
Been slowly reflecting on how trusting my "intuitive senses" (or gut instinct), no matter what others may think of it or me, has really...supported me, in light of an experience I had yesterday.

I was at the light/intersection, just a few steps away from my apartment to go to the store. The light was yellow for those going across in front of me. It was red for those going up and down. There were vehicles waiting at the red. The coast was clear the other way, but I thought to myself, "I'm just going to wait right here." Next thing I know this driver came flying through the yellow light fast enough, that, had I chosen to move, I would not be here typing this.

So, regardless of what some may think or believe (or not believe) of intuition and gut instinct (for me the two work together), as for myself, I at least know some part of myself that may not be fully understood by science (yet), kept me alive. I take comfort in this part even if other people may perceive me as crazy.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Been slowly reflecting on how trust my "intuitive senses"
(or gut instinct)….
So, regardless of what some may think or believe (or not believe) of intuition and gut instinct (for me the two work together)...

Completely agree with you. Gut instinct as in poker or at the track is a valued asset.
Four years ago I went against my gut and failed to place Creator atop a Belmont Stakes superfecta.
Equibase had listed the horse as the #7 North American purse earner, I wrote my card out the nite before,
bothered me all morning long, but for some inexplicable reason I went with a tight handicap, which would
have worked had Creator not jumped the chow line with a burst of speed to win by a nose at the wire.
...As I write this, I recall Creator had had a bad run in the Kentucky Derby earlier. Came in tenth, and in
the Belmont he posted a disadvantaged #10 spot. I should have lined through the Derby and went with my gut.
I usually do play instinctive poker and ponies however this particular memorable exception ranks and rankles.:)

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
Completely agree with you. Gut instinct as in poker or at the track is a valued asset.
Four years ago I went against my gut and failed to place Creator atop a Belmont Stakes superfecta.
Equibase had listed the horse as the #7 North American purse earner, I wrote my card out the nite before,
bothered me all morning long, but for some inexplicable reason I went with a tight handicap, which would
have worked had Creator not jumped the chow line with a burst of speed to win by a nose at the wire.
...As I write this, I recall Creator had had a bad run in the Kentucky Derby earlier. Came in tenth, and in
the Belmont he posted a disadvantaged #10 spot. I should have lined through the Derby and went with my gut.
I usually do play instinctive poker and ponies however this particular memorable exception ranks and rankles.:)

Reminds me of the time when I was offered to pick a scratch off lotto card. One of the options I was told was Lucky Lady (and I chose because I immediately thought of the WWII style nose art). Here, I get the ticket, and it was actually Lady Bugs (which have also been lucky for me - if they are the "American" Lady Bug, as there is a similar type one that is a prolific pest). Anyway....I won $20.:D

Fifty150

One Too Many
how trusting my "intuitive senses" (or gut instinct)

what some may think or believe (or not believe) of intuition and gut instinct

This one time, in Thailand....... I'll save that story for anyone who buys me a beer. We're all adults here. My story may not be as lewd or lascivious as some of your stories. Maybe I'm just a frigid prude who does not copulate with rodents.

I'm not so lucky in life. Some of my gut feelings have worked out. Not always. A few weeks ago, the local Albertsons had corned beef and cabbage on sale. There was a limit to the corned beef. But no limit to cabbage @ $0.10 per lb, or whatever crazy price. I still have cabbage in the refrigerator. Today, I was reduced to eating it with striploin. Basic Chinese Chop Suey.
sear 3 minutes and flip.jpg
ready to slice.jpg
sliced over cabbage.jpg
A not-corned-beef and cabbage. Albertsons' IPO price was at $16. Then it dropped. Today it closed at $19.18. So I guess that's why I'm eating cheap meat, from the discount, clearance, section.

Turnip

Excellent day today, slept long, bomb weather, fresh air so I took quite a long walk through town and park in the morning sun today.

After a long weekend, short hours „0“ on Friday and today, I’ll have to work for the unbelievable next four days...no idea how to walk that off so far...:eek::D

Been slowly reflecting on how trusting my "intuitive senses" (or gut instinct), no matter what others may think of it or me, has really...supported me, in light of an experience I had yesterday.

I was at the light/intersection, just a few steps away from my apartment to go to the store. The light was yellow for those going across in front of me. It was red for those going up and down. There were vehicles waiting at the red. The coast was clear the other way, but I thought to myself, "I'm just going to wait right here." Next thing I know this driver came flying through the yellow light fast enough, that, had I chosen to move, I would not be here typing this.

So, regardless of what some may think or believe (or not believe) of intuition and gut instinct (for me the two work together), as for myself, I at least know some part of myself that may not be fully understood by science (yet), kept me alive. I take comfort in this part even if other people may perceive me as crazy.
I find it interesting the things that I remember from sooo long ago...why do some things stick and others not? One of the things was learned from my uncle as he gave me driving lessons. When in front of the line stopped at a red, when the light turns green wait a beat, look both ways then proceed. Never forgot that....it saved me once, not at a red light but a 4 way stop.....but then I guess it only needs to save you once. The other was when I slowed to a stop for a jaywalker....his admonishment...."f**k 'em, they are jay walkers". A few miles later there were folks about to cross at a cross walk...He said..."You ALWAYS stop for them, always. Jay walkers are different, they are fair game." I still can hear his voice 55 years on.

The new carpets are laid on Wednesday so spent the weekend moving out as much furniture as possible and painting the entire upstairs. I am in a bit of hurt today but it looks good. My wife said "when we paint again in 10 or 20 years I suggest we hire somebody."

Harp

I'll Lock Up
This morning, standing outside across the station waiting for the 05.30 Rock Island to Chicago,
half asleep on auto pilot mode, and the train light is clearly visible downrange, and the train is on the
west track, normally used south bound trains, instead of the east rail which run northern bound downtown to
LaSalle Street Station. Two men are waiting on the west side; obviously having seen the approaching engine
light. Another guy on the east side with me yells the train is on the other track. I awaken and cross over to the
east side, climb aboard, and settle in with some Kentucky Oaks reading.

I realized I hadn't brewed any coffee, normally set it the night before. Had that kid not shouted to me I would
have stood there, transfixed, half asleep. And missed my train. Lousy way to start the day, but still had a fantastic time.
Missed an office retirement luncheon but a hectic day happens.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I find it interesting the things that I remember from sooo long ago.
Interesting that you said that. It gets frustrating when something simple slips your mind, I was trying to remember something trivial. Eventually my wife prompted my memory, she had asked me to put some provision or other on the shopping list. We keep a handy shopping list to record anything that's running low, helps to prevent falling short of essentials.

"Sorry," I apologised, "It slipped my mind," then I added, "why can I remember the names of the kids whom I sat amongst at school when I was just five years old but can't remember that if I don't write toilet tissues on the shopping list I could end up in the proverbial? "Go on then," she replied, "go on what?" I answered. "Name those kids," she said. And I did, all of them, without any hesitation. "Long term memory," explained my missus, "it's always the last to go." Have I just been insulted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112