Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Was Your Day?

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Hello Fedora Lounge!

Have you ever had those moments, days, or weekends that you just needed to tell someone what happened?

Need a place to jump for joy or complain?

I went back thru a year of The Observation Bar threads and didn't see anything like this...although I did see the one about rare things that happen and random acts of kindness. (We have a lot of interesting threads in this forum.)

Anyway,
I would love to hear about if you want to tell me about your day.
-Ann

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
My week so far has been pretty good, and went by rather quickly.

Sunday was a big all day car show that I was looking forward to for a month.
A Film Crew for the documentary, Crusin' PA was there are interviewed a friend and myself for about 45 minutes. We dressed 1940's, and my friend decorated his 39 Chevy with war memorabilia, military uniforms and hats, and some old news papers and pictures. It was wonderful! I can't wait until it's on television.

I had a woman back into my car on Tuesday and cause $740 dollars worth of damage.

My roommate informed me that we have a bat in the attic that was trying to squeeze under the door to get into the kitchen. I was wondering why there was a big box blocking the door. I don't know how I am going to get rid of it...but in the meantime I am hoping it left the way it got in!

Tonight I went to a car show and met up with some friends.
And tomorrow is the Mark Mack Orchestra show! YAY! Dancing!

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe weekend.
-Ann

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This is a great idea for a thread! Sounds like you had a pretty good day -- hopefully makes up for the mishap on Tuesday....

Me, I have just completed a really bizarre day.

First off, the distributor of the film starting its run at the theatre today was very late on the shipping, and it didn't show up until two hours before showtime. So we didn't have time to preview it, and it turns out the print was made an absolute hash by the last theatre to show it -- perforations torn, bad splices, creases, and the end credit sequence turned out to be spliced on out-of-frame. So our first show tonight was Quite An Adventure.

Then I had to deal with a scheduling crisis -- suddenly none of our concession staff is available to work this weekend, and I had to grumble my way thru coming up with an ad-hoc arrangement to get us thru this weekend, one which eliminates my own Day Off.

Then in the middle of the second show we got a colossal thunder shower that struck a building a block up the street from the theatre. It happens that this is the weekend of the Maine Lobster Festival, the big summer event here in town, and the main entertainment attraction was just starting up on the outdoor stage when the storm hit, so several thousand people came tearing up Main Street looking for shelter, and half of them mobbed under our marquee to keep out of the rain, including several sailors who were a bit well-oiled, and started slapping each other around for no good reason. I couldn't close up until the crowd dispersed a bit, so I had to wait until things settled down before it was safe to leave the building. Of course, I rode my bike to work, and the one thing I don;t like to do more than I don't like to do anything else is to ride a bike in a thundershower. So I hitched a ride home with another member of the theatre staff -- only to find that some considerate Festivalgoer had stuffed a plastic bag containing a soiled disposable diaper thru the open window of his car.

It's been quite an evening. And the storm is still blowing and rumbling and thundering outside, so who knows what's yet to come...

panamag8or

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
This is a great idea for a thread! Sounds like you had a pretty good day -- hopefully makes up for the mishap on Tuesday....

Me, I have just completed a really bizarre day.

First off, the distributor of the film starting its run at the theatre today was very late on the shipping, and it didn't show up until two hours before showtime. So we didn't have time to preview it, and it turns out the print was made an absolute hash by the last theatre to show it -- perforations torn, bad splices, creases, and the end credit sequence turned out to be spliced on out-of-frame. So our first show tonight was Quite An Adventure.

Then I had to deal with a scheduling crisis -- suddenly none of our concession staff is available to work this weekend, and I had to grumble my way thru coming up with an ad-hoc arrangement to get us thru this weekend, one which eliminates my own Day Off.

Then in the middle of the second show we got a colossal thunder shower that struck a building a block up the street from the theatre. It happens that this is the weekend of the Maine Lobster Festival, the big summer event here in town, and the main entertainment attraction was just starting up on the outdoor stage when the storm hit, so several thousand people came tearing up Main Street looking for shelter, and half of them mobbed under our marquee to keep out of the rain, including several sailors who were a bit well-oiled, and started slapping each other around for no good reason. I couldn't close up until the crowd dispersed a bit, so I had to wait until things settled down before it was safe to leave the building. Of course, I rode my bike to work, and the one thing I don;t like to do more than I don't like to do anything else is to ride a bike in a thundershower. So I hitched a ride home with another member of the theatre staff -- only to find that some considerate Festivalgoer had stuffed a plastic bag containing a soiled disposable diaper thru the open window of his car.

It's been quite an evening. And the storm is still blowing and rumbling and thundering outside, so who knows what's yet to come...

Wow. Sounds like you need to get a cup of tea, turn on some good music and unwind after an icky day.

S

Samsa

My week has been very good, if for no other reason than I'm finally employed again after three solid months of being unemployed.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My day was busy busy busy! I went in early to my internship with Revamp and started stripping the dress forms for our booth at Costume College. I wasn't supposed to end up going today, but we ended up running late, so I had to drive to Van Nuys with the other gals and help set up. It's, no joke, 20 degrees hotter in Van Nuys than it was in downtown LA. Not my kind of weather to be dragging gigantic metal clothing racks packed with clothes through parking lots.

I actually saw our very own Lauren, but was too sweaty, dehydrated and frazzled to say hi! She looked darling in her outfit though.

Then I sat in traffic for about 45 minutes on the way home, ate, passed out for awhile, showered, and now I'm doing this!

ShortClara

One Too Many
My best friend and I are waiting for the same good news (LOL not pregnancy - I just thought that's what I'd be thinking if I read that.)

I got the good news, she didn't. It could still come, but I'm so torn between excitement and anxiety for her. So, emotional day. But, as I have learned, there are worse things.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
My day has been slow, but almost surreal.

I didn't really sleep last night...it was my first night in my new place, and I'm still getting used to all the downtown night sounds. Whenever someone opens their own door or fiddles with their lock next door, it sounds like someone is trying to come into my apartment! I'm used to living in a very solitary house in the mountains.

I decided to explore my area, and discovered a little thrift store, where I acquired an avocado-colored saucepan, white peeptoes and five hangers. The lot was less than three dollars...gotta love Albuquerque.

On the walk back, I started zoning out, but was taken aback when I saw a small, unidentified animal standing up in someone's driveway. I watched it for a minute, but it didn't move. I decided to investigate. It turned out to be a big bullfrog that someone had runover or smashed while it was in mid-hop. It's body was in rigor mortis, so he was caught in the middle of springing off his hind legs. It was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen...like taxidermy.

I had some interesting conversations with some sketchy folks on the Route 66 bus. This really haggard-looking woman with matted hair and stains all over her shirt was going on this big rant about how people come up to her and ask her if she needs help because they think she's homeless.

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
What a hectic week!

I'm in the cast for the community theatre's production of The Pajama Game, which is set in 1954. The show itself is fun-the music is cute and the audiences have been great. And, of course, having the chance to pretend I live in the 50s every night is a plus.

I have had a problem, however, with the hair and makeup mistress. I really enjoy studying the fashions of this time period (as you could guess :p ), and the hair she has the women doing is just not quite right. She's been putting my hair in a pile of pinned down curls on the top of my head every night, which looks more like a prom beehive than something a woman would wear to work in a pajama factory lol . We have an actress with a haircut which could be turned into a Audrey Hepburn 'do easily. Instead, the hair and makeup mistress insists on putting her in a wig of curly hair so she will match the rest of the cast. What a bummer!

The show closes tomorrow, then I'm headed back to Iowa to visit the family for a while.

RIOT

Practically Family
Interesting thread. I'll bite.

Friday was not as stressful, more relaxing at work. Did two Production meetings in the morning then that was it for the day for me. The rest of it was pretty easy after that, nodded and shook my head at ad work presented to me by my staff, went outside the building with friends as they smoked their cigarettes while I watched the pretty women walk by. God I love womens Summer fashion :eusa_clap

The evening was AMAZING! ;) x

Now it's off to the Beer Garden in Astoria for umm beer and Goulash

That's about it for now

Miss Sis

One Too Many
We had my BF's brother's wedding yesterday (yes, on a friday).

It was wonderful. the weather cheered up after months of rain and we had bright sunshine. They are not at all into vintage but it was a very traditional day and the BF drove his brother to church in his 1935 Riley Kestrel. It looked fantastic.

The Bride and Groom are going to Florida and the Carribean for their honeymoon. We are all tired but happy!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's off to an art gallery in the big city for a silent auction for charity. I donated a print for it so I have to see how it does, and do some important gallery networking and visiting with friends. Sure it will be a good day. :)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yesterday wasn't so good. Now after killing my cancer for the 2nd time in 3 years I'm again having secondary effects on my "plumbing." Let's leave it at that cause the details are a bit gross. So I'll be in for another little semi-surgical jaunt and associated recovery.

But today, while I feel fair to middlin, I'm taking my Packard to a car show and relax in the modertate weather with my fedora and wife.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Yesterday wasn't so good. Now after killing my cancer for the 2nd time in 3 years I'm again having secondary effects on my "plumbing." Let's leave it at that cause the details are a bit gross. So I'll be in for another little semi-surgical jaunt and associated recovery.

But today, while I feel fair to middlin, I'm taking my Packard to a car show and relax in the modertate weather with my fedora and wife.

Twitch, I wish you all the best in your surgery and recovery! Sounds like the Packard, the fedora, and the wife are all good medicine ;)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
The week started normal enough, and then I took a vacation day on Wednesday to see the Simpsons Movie with my brother. Very funny! Got back to work at noon (my normal start time) on Thursday, and at 3:30 my foreman, Dave, starting having pains in his gut - kidney stones. Our boss asked me to drive him to the emergency room. We got to the emergency room at 3:45.

They assessed him twice, and almost six hours later, about 10:00 P.M., he was finally called in. He went though the normal processes and then finally got some morphine. He was finally comfortable. At 11:30, he told me to go home. I told him to call when he was released and I'd come and get him, and that I'd stop in on my way to work if I didn't hear from him. I didn't get to sleep until about 3:30 Friday morning. I got five and a half hours sleep.

I called him when I woke up and he was home - He'd been released at 3:00 and called a taxi. He went with me to work to get his car. He went home. I stayed and worked, feeling very tired all day. Fortunately, it was a slow day. :)

Dave is doing just fine, now. He's taking monday off to see his personal doctor, and will return to work on Tuesday. He's a great guy and lives around the corner from me: He's the kind of foreman one always hopes for. I was happy to help him.

Lee

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
So far my weekend's been great. I mowed my backyard this morning while wifey was weeding out front. She has the green thumb, I don't. Thursday was my daughter's last day of her swimming lesson (level 2), so we went out to ORU's (Oral Roberts University) Aerobics center for me to work out a bit, then get in the pool with my daughter. Now, it's her turn to teach Daddy (& Mommy) how to swim! lol Yeah, that's right. We parents still don't know how to swim. So there she was in the pool teaching us the basics. She's a great kid and I'm so proud of her. She's only 7. My youngest daughter is 5 and she's not up to it yet although she also had fun dipping in the pool with her small life jacket. :)

Well tomorrow Sunday will be another exciting day for me as I look forward to wearing my vintage outfit again. I go to a non denominational contemporary Christian church where people don't even wear ties but just shirt and jeans. So I feel a little awkward when I'm the only one wearing a suit and tie with a fedora. I get stares like ... "where did this guy come from". But I think we should look our best when we worship the Lord. I think it's just proper (athough I know that the Lord looks at the inward heart, not the outside appearance). But for me, it's just proper respect when I honor Him. I'm still old fashioned. :)

Twitch said:

Hang in there Twitch, I wish you the best and hope for your successful recovery. I'll remember you in my prayers.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I went to a clothing store today to buy some shirts. I bought three, but after I paid (I didn't look at the total...just swiped the card) she realized she had only charged me for two. She just said to keep it. Just one of those nice little things to make one's day.:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Went downtown this morning to watch the Lobster Festival parade -- one of our concession-stand kids was chosen as Maine Sea Goddess 2007, and we all gathered in front of the theatre to cheer her on as she rode past on her crepe-paper throne with King Neptune and Blackbeard the Pirate at her side. She's pretty excited, and so are we -- where else can movie patrons have their popcorn served by a Sea Goddess?

Other than Her Highness, the highlight of the parade was a performance by the Rockland Marching Hawaiian-Shirted Precision Lawn Chair Drill Team. Truly, it's no wonder why the tourists flock here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ