Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Was Your Day?

panamag8or

Practically Family
First: get better, Twitch.

Second: My day... so far... woke up and had a cup of coffee on the patio. It is the first time in a few days that I could see the sun rise, with the rain and all. Went to "The Swamp" here in Gainesville (UF football stadium) to take pictures from my seats so I can gloat to friends.:D

Then, I got a haircut and shave at Gainesville's oldest barber shop, and had lunch at Gainesville's oldest restaurant, a little burger joint that has been open since 1928. It's like a history museum in there, with newspaper clippings and old ads covering the walls.

Came home and took a cat-nap. Now, I'm deciding whether to go out tonight or not. Maybe if I can find a jazz band playing anywhere, I will.

Technonut

Practically Family
Running around like a headless chicken.... :p First to my tailor 40 miles away to pick up a few 40's vintage suits I had altered... ;) Now taking care of last minute packing and details before driving 100 miles to Dulles Airport tomorrow (Sunday) at 2:30AM for a 6:00AM flight out to the West Coast for 3 weeks before relocating there permanently... A hectic day so far, but for a VERY worthy and noble cause... ;)

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Twitch said:
Yesterday wasn't so good. Now after killing my cancer for the 2nd time in 3 years I'm again having secondary effects on my "plumbing." Let's leave it at that cause the details are a bit gross. So I'll be in for another little semi-surgical jaunt and associated recovery.

But today, while I feel fair to middlin, I'm taking my Packard to a car show and relax in the modertate weather with my fedora and wife.

Twitch -

Lulu and I will both include you in our prayers. May God bless you and keep you forever in His care.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Wonderful Weekend.

I hope everyone had a safe and wonderful weekend.

Friday night, Be_Lovely and I met up to see the Mark Mack Orchestra and had a blast!

Today I went to a flea market (swap meet...for the people on the west coast). The first time in years that I have gone to one, and I am glad I did. I found a Rita Hayworth Beauty Time Saving Tips poster (wrapped in plastic and card board), A Lucky Stikes Green Ciggarette Tin, and 3 Skeleton keys. Total cash spent: $3 dollars.

At the sale, I made a new contact. I bought the Tin from them, then stayed and talked for awhile. They buy estates, and have invited me to come shopping in their home. If anyone is on the look out for that one special thing that you have been searching forever to find...let me know.

I had one of those OCD moments over a black straw hat that I saw for sale. (it looks like the one I have on in my avatar) I talked myself out of buying it, and then found myself going back to the store to get it a few hours later.:rolleyes:

RIOT

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
You should have come directly across the street to Sparrow, the bar on the corner. I was there all night. Then again, I'm there almost every night.

Hope everyones weekend was good

Thanks Senator, I will definitely have to check out that bar next time. I actually saw you in your car drive by with a bunch of folks in front of the beer garden yesterday. Real cool car you got there.

Today I got myself up early with only three hours of sleep to head out to Rockaway Beach for some Seido training. It was intense doing push ups in the sand with the tide going over you. Fun as well.

Now it's off to Giant's Stadium to see The Police! :)

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
This week has been uneventful aside from a doctors appointment and a dentist appointment.

Usually on Thursdays I check out local news stations on line calendar of events, and the news papers classifieds for estate sales.
Yesterday I saw the add for an estate sale/flea market for Friday and Saturday from 8am-2pm.

Since I have been getting up way too early, and having a little extra time before I go to work, I decided to go and check out this Friday Morning Sale.

Holy Smokes! I took pictures and will post later.
I walked into a room of 1920 to 1960...aside from a 1974 play boy issue.
I didn't know where to start.

The room wasn't big, but it was packed. Boxes and boxes of photos and post cards, and tables full of jewlery, magazines, house hold gagets, furniture, records and albums and 78's, tools, and a box of old lace-up shoe-boots, old record players...and and and. I didn't know where to start.

I walked around about 3 or 4 times shuffling thru some things. Everything was covered in dust and dirt. I didn't buy a thing. I wish I could have bought it all and organized it.

The guy running the show was very rude, which turned me off about buying something from him anyway. I said I would probably stop in again on Saturday since I only had a half hour before I had to be to work.

Aside from that, it's finally Friday! There is a car show tonight that I look forward to going to and another on Sunday that lasts all day. I think I may go strolling around a different Flea Market on Sunday morning.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and pleasant weekend. May your treasure hunting be easier than what I encountered this morning.
: )
-Ann

Nashoba

One Too Many
tuesday was icky. It started out fine and then went to poop in the evening. I went to pick up my dinner and on the way back put gas in my car so I could drive to the airport wed morning. I've been driving my husband's truck since my car has been making funny noises and the check engine light has been on for a while (yeah I know but the cars aren't my chore and it will just have to wait until the car person comes back) but it needs to be driven every once and a while and I've been assured that the car will be okay. In any case I went to get gas and the car decided to die twice going out of the gas station parking lot, 3 more times in a parking lot across from the gas station and twice more on the way home. I got home and went to mow the lawn because the stupid over zealous code enforcement guy tacks a notice on my door every other week telling me I have to mow the lawn (also not my chore). I took the lawn mower out and found that I had been a genius and forgotten to empty the bag thingy so the clippings from the last time I mowed were now composting. That was fun. Then the silly thing wouldn't start. I tried for almost half an hour to get it to start. I went, ate dinner, came back and it still wouldn't start. so close to tears I walked down the street to my friends house for a hug. Her husband came down pushed something and started it right up. drives me crazy when that happens. He said it was something about the wire on the throttle...and then he looked at my car and it started right up. something about the clutch on the air conditioner...a very frustrating day for me.
The rest of the week I've been out in NorCal visitng my folks and getting ready to go to anaheim next week with 4 of my girlfriends for a bachlorette week at Disneyland.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Nashoba said:
...since my car has been making funny noises and the check engine light has been on for a while (yeah I know but the cars aren't my chore and it will just have to wait until the car person comes back) but it needs to be driven every once and a while and I've been assured that the car will be okay. In any case I went to get gas and the car decided to die twice going out of the gas station parking lot, 3 more times in a parking lot across from the gas station and twice more on the way home.

The check engine light is probably why the car stalled out.
I believe if the light is on steady it's a problem with something to do with the fuel lines or the gas cap is off.
If the light is blinking I think that is when you know you have a problem.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Tonight:
An opening party at my friends art gallery. An evening of low-brow art, a live soul band, dancing and it's BYOB. A good evening all around.

Tomorrow:
Gardening in the afternoon. I have a lilac bush, hibiscus bush and a hummingbird vine to plant and have to reconfigure the plants already there to make the new plants fit. Then a luau in the evening at a tiki-obsessed friends house. Hawaiian attire is required and we will be eating a cake made to resemble a roast pig. lol

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I try to think like every day is a good day (it's just that some days are way better than others).

I started out this week by responding to a motorcycle accident. The driver of the motorcycle crossed the center line and hit a big SUV head-on. He died on the scene (really messed-up dead, real bad scene). This set a rather somber mood on the first half of the week, but that's just the way it is. Some calls are good, some are bad. Spent the rest of the week in various committee meetings and preparing for a major inspection. Today has been a little slow, so I've had time to catch up on some paper work. Tonight I'm headed out with my wife to one of our local night spots to enjoy a co-worker's band (and consume vast quantities of Margaritas).

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
These are the pictures of the estate sale/flea market I went to this morning.

Box of shoes
sale01fl.jpg

Vinyl
sale02fl.jpg

sale06fl.jpg

Chaos
sale07fl.jpg

sale03fl.jpg

sale05fl.jpg

sale04fl.jpg

This wasn't even half of it! Where in the world do you start???

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
OOooooooo Estate sale:D

I spent the day in Philly. Took my sister shopping at Ikea. We were looking for dorm things as she is going off to her first year at IUP! They grow up sooo fast! It's funny, she was 1 when I went off for my first year at college.

I'm very happy to be back out here in the country as city driving is crazy. :D

Nashoba

One Too Many
PA Dancer said:
The check engine light is probably why the car stalled out.
I believe if the light is on steady it's a problem with something to do with the fuel lines or the gas cap is off.
If the light is blinking I think that is when you know you have a problem.

Ok first off. sooooo jealous of the estate sale. wow
I went to go see Stardust with my parents today. Pretty good movie actually, I enjoyed it. I might have to go read the book now.
With my car the reason the light is on is the EGR Emissions valve. I took it down to Autozone and they plugged it in, then I gave the codes to the guys in Motor T and they said it's not a huge deal and that it really just means that i'm not getting optimum fuel efficiency. It's stalling out because there's something wrong with the clutch on the air conditioner. If I keep the a/c off when I start the car and then turn it on it runs fine but if I try to start the car with the a/c on it doesn't like to stay running. I'm not completely sure what any of that actually means, but I've been assured that when the person whose chore it is to care for the cars comes home, that he'll take it to the guys in Motor T and they'll help him fix it. Until then. I drive his truck :D and use the car occassionaly so that it gets started every now and again right now it's sitting at Nashville's Airport. Hopefully it starts when I try to go back home in a couple of weeks. The car is 10 years old now and as they say, nothing lasts forever

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Starius said:
D'oh! I want to look through that pile of Big Little books! Even if they do look a bit rough.

Starius,
I used to have a road runner little-big book big-little book. If I still have it and I come across it while unpacking boxes. It's yours!

I did look at the ones in the pics, and they were in rough shape. The bindings were warped and the pages were very brittle and dusty.
But if you want them, I will go get them for you.

I don't think anything in this room was expensive.

The guy running it just looked disgusted that I was the only one who was there.

Scranton is loaded with this stuff. If you walk into any thrift store in this area it is filled with vinyl. They can't give that kind of jewlery away.

A note on Scranton history. It is called the Electric City, being the first city with electric trolley cars. It was a major coal industry town. Home of Steamtown National Park with old trains cars lined up one after another at the station.
Anyway, what I am getting at is this is a very old town, with a lot of old houses that have been in the families since the early 1900's. And we are also a town of pack-rats....and it seems that I am the only one here who wants the stuff...aside from the people who buy it to re-sell on ebay.

Even upstairs in my attic there are old canning jars, and gigantic vases...(I'm talking knee high), an old coat rack and a lot of misc. little stuff. My door knobs are still the old skeleton key knobs.

lol if anyone ever wants to come shopping with me, just let me know.

Starius

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
Starius,
I used to have a road runner little-big book big-little book. If I still have it and I come across it while unpacking boxes. It's yours!

Ah, you are too sweet!

I did look at the ones in the pics, and they were in rough shape. The bindings were warped and the pages were very brittle and dusty.
But if you want them, I will go get them for you.

Well, thank you for the offer!. I think I will pass on that, however. If they were in better condition, I might have taken you up on it though. The western Big Little books are rather popular in this neck of the woods, which is why they caught my eye here. Personally, I'm more drawn to the old comic book / sci fi / adventure ones.

I don't think anything in this room was expensive.

The guy running it just looked disgusted that I was the only one who was there.
Thats kinda sad. I've seen that kind of thing from sellers before. I was once up in Park Rapids Minnesota which is kind of a touristy area (has a great soda fountain place called the "Minnesoda") at the end of summer and I popped into a little sports trading card shop just to see what they had. The guy in there had a similar vibe. I'm more of a non-sports collector so I was looking at his one shelf of non-sports cards. He tried to sell me a box of "Yo! MTV Raps" cards from the early 90s, like it was the great card set. I'm afraid it was all I could do to keep from laughing. It was still a little sad though.

Scranton is loaded with this stuff. If you walk into any thrift store in this area it is filled with vinyl. They can't give that kind of jewlery away.

A note on Scranton history. It is called the Electric City, being the first city with electric trolley cars. It was a major coal industry town. Home of Steamtown National Park with old trains cars lined up one after another at the station.

Scranton! (Hah, sorry, a fan of The Office)
I enjoy looking through albums. It's mostly old country albums around here though, which makes my record treasure hunts rather boring.

Anyway, what I am getting at is this is a very old town, with a lot of old houses that have been in the families since the early 1900's. And we are also a town of pack-rats....and it seems that I am the only one here who wants the stuff...aside from the people who buy it to re-sell on ebay.

Even upstairs in my attic there are old canning jars, and gigantic vases...(I'm talking knee high), an old coat rack and a lot of misc. little stuff. My door knobs are still the old skeleton key knobs.

lol if anyone ever wants to come shopping with me, just let me know.

That sounds like a lot of fun!
I'm afraid its a tad too far for me to go on a shopping excursion unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points