Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a small library of recordings

towndrunk

New in Town
recordings of news and other broadcasts made roughly between 1930 and 1945. the majority are directly or indirectly related to the events of WWII. if anyone wants these they are in mp3 format and i can p2p them to you if you're interested.

some of what i have:

24 of the 30 fireside chats recorded by FDR.
various speeches made by father charles e. coughlin(a pro-fascist priest)
virtually everything winston churhill said including his memoirs read by himself
various midwestern us senators talking about neutrality before the war.
neville chamberlain
edward VIII's abdication speech(a bit early for the collection, but interesting nonetheless)
news broadcasts in chronological order from:
BBC
NBC
CBC(canada)
CAN(combined allied network)
CBS
the CBS file is the largest with numerous broadcasts of elmer davis, bob trout et.al. doing nightly news programs.

you can really follow the progress of the war with the cbs file. i should say here the year of 1942 and 43' to a lesser extent are somewhat sparse. i have a theory that because the war wasn't going particularly well for the allies the media wasn't really playing up the war like it was in the beginning or like it would toward the end. anyone have thoughts on this? plus i would be interested in any comments about the tone of news reporters concerning the war. were they hopeful?, detached?, hostile?, something else?

i also have the complete 24 hr. broadcast of DDay done by CBS News.
some german stuff -ribbobtrop, goebbels, etc.
japanese -very little -hirohito's surrender speech in japanese.
a few recordings from norway and cz.

this was, is, will be, for a project i've been working on for a few years.
pm me if you think you want to listen to anything.
p2p or ftp is really the best way to transfer most of these as the files are too large for email.

regards
towndrunk

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I'm very interested. I have quite a few news programs from the era but I'm always looking to fill in holes. I find that I listen to the news programs almost as much as my "entertainment" type OTR shows. I've always been a history nut and this stuff kind of brings it alive for me. FTP is easiest for me.

zaika

One Too Many
oh my gosh...that is so amazing. i would LOVE to hear all of those.

for some reason i'm not able to PM you...maybe because your account is so new?

at any rate...what's p2p and all those other acronyms?

towndrunk

New in Town
ahh yes, I just read the faq. I have to post 15 messages before I can have pm's. cuts down on ne'er do wells I suppose.

anyway, p2p means peer to peer. it's a way people can share files directly with each other over the internet. an ftp means file transfer protocol. similar to p2p, but all the peers connect to a central server to access files instead of each other.

zaika

One Too Many
towndrunk said:
ahh yes, I just read the faq. I have to post 15 messages before I can have pm's. cuts down on ne'er do wells I suppose.

anyway, p2p means peer to peer. it's a way people can share files directly with each other over the internet. an ftp means file transfer protocol. similar to p2p, but all the peers connect to a central server to access files instead of each other.

oh...yes. i know what p2p's are. my brother set me up with one, i just never knew the name of it. soulseek is the application name, i think? at least the one i have.

would i sound too greedy if i said that i would like to listen to everything you have? :eek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
towndrunk said:
you can really follow the progress of the war with the cbs file. i should say here the year of 1942 and 43' to a lesser extent are somewhat sparse. i have a theory that because the war wasn't going particularly well for the allies the media wasn't really playing up the war like it was in the beginning or like it would toward the end. anyone have thoughts on this? plus i would be interested in any comments about the tone of news reporters concerning the war. were they hopeful?, detached?, hostile?, something else?

Part of the reason for the scarcity of 1942-43 CBS broadcasts is that CBS itself made no effort to record and archive its news programming during the war. The only reason much of this material survives at all is because the broadcasts were recorded off the network line by station KIRO in Seattle for delayed rebroadcasts at a more convenient time, and providentially, the station saved most of the recordings. In the early '60s, the collection was donated to the University of Washington, where archivist Milo Ryan carefully transferred the discs to tape and catalogued the collection. That catalogue was published in book form in 1963 as "History In Sound." Subsequently this collection was shared with the National Archives in Washington DC, from which most of the circulating copies of these broadcasts were originally sourced.

Unfortunately, glass-based recording discs were all that were available during 1942 and 1943, and a great many of these were broken or otherwise destroyed before they could be properly preserved, accounting for the overall scarcity of CBS material from these years. A number of broadcasts, mostly of the "World This Week" series, were recorded off the line by WBBM in Chicago and preserved, so while some material does exist, it shouldn't be taken as representing all that was actually broadcast. News programming made up a very heavy slice of the radio pie thruout the war era.

towndrunk

New in Town
zaika said:
oh...yes. i know what p2p's are. my brother set me up with one, i just never knew the name of it. soulseek is the application name, i think? at least the one i have.

would i sound too greedy if i said that i would like to listen to everything you have? :eek:
soulseek is what i normally use too. if you connect and create room "otr" you'll find me there

towndrunk

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
Part of the reason for the scarcity of 1942-43 CBS broadcasts is that CBS itself made no effort to record and archive its news programming during the war. The only reason much of this material survives at all is because the broadcasts were recorded off the network line by station KIRO in Seattle for delayed rebroadcasts at a more convenient time, and providentially, the station saved most of the recordings. In the early '60s, the collection was donated to the University of Washington, where archivist Milo Ryan carefully transferred the discs to tape and catalogued the collection. That catalogue was published in book form in 1963 as "History In Sound." Subsequently this collection was shared with the National Archives in Washington DC, from which most of the circulating copies of these broadcasts were originally sourced.

Unfortunately, glass-based recording discs were all that were available during 1942 and 1943, and a great many of these were broken or otherwise destroyed before they could be properly preserved, accounting for the overall scarcity of CBS material from these years. A number of broadcasts, mostly of the "World This Week" series, were recorded off the line by WBBM in Chicago and preserved, so while some material does exist, it shouldn't be taken as representing all that was actually broadcast. News programming made up a very heavy slice of the radio pie thruout the war era.

makes sense, i knew that alot of material didn't survive, but kept thinking it was too much of a coincidence concerning those two years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24