Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just discovered the best little magazine...Reminisce

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Hi all ~ Just wanted to let you know about this fabulous magazine
I came across at the beauty parlor. The gals there let me have it.
It's called Reminisce and it's the best! This issue I have is all about
Christmas and it has pages & pages of peoples old photos from decades
ago, along with their stories of Christmas. I just love how personable
this magazine is. It takes you back in time.

I looked online and they have a website.
Here it is if you want to check it out!

http://www.reminisce.com/Default.asp?r_d=y

I think so many of you would LOVE this little magazine.
It's a gem. I am planning on subscribing.

Brooksie

One Too Many
My parents also get this magazine. I love it and when I come over to visit them my Mom always has a pile of magazines to give to me.

Brooksie

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
We let our subscription expire, but we do still pick up current issues on the news stand. Recently we came across back issues from 2-3 years ago. If anyone sees back issues at local flea markets, used mag shops, etc, check them out. The earlier issues are much better than the newer ones. They contain more anectodal stories from "real people" as opposed to professional writers. Also the photos date back farther. The newer issues contain more 60s pics where the earlier issues had 20s-30s pics in them as well. You don't see that as much in the current issues.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
The Brits have a similar magazine too...

Being somewhat interested in all things British, I occasionally get a magazine called "Best of British, Past & Present" whenever I can find it on the news stands. The current exchange rate makes a subscription a little too pricey, so I just buy it when I see it. It usually contains many first hand stories (or reminiscences if you prefer) that are mostly from the 1940s through the 60s. However, feature articles can reach back much farther than that. Here's a link to their website: http://www.bestofbritishmag.co.uk/

MKL

A-List Customer
Jazzzbaby, My family thinks Reminisce is great. We have been getting it now for years. We even look for old copies at yards sales too. They have two on this "title": the other is called Reminisce Extra. It comes every other month.

jazzzbaby said:
Hi all ~ Just wanted to let you know about this fabulous magazine
I came across at the beauty parlor. The gals there let me have it.
It's called Reminisce and it's the best! This issue I have is all about
Christmas and it has pages & pages of peoples old photos from decades
ago, along with their stories of Christmas. I just love how personable
this magazine is. It takes you back in time.

I looked online and they have a website.
Here it is if you want to check it out!

http://www.reminisce.com/Default.asp?r_d=y

I think so many of you would LOVE this little magazine.
It's a gem. I am planning on subscribing.

Flivver

Practically Family
One of my friends gets this great magazine...he often gives me the back issues!

Reminisce has also published some great books. They've done books on the 1920s, WWII and the 1950s. These use personal memories organized by topic to give a picture of the era. I have all three and highly recommend them.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pennyseranade said:
We let our subscription expire, but we do still pick up current issues on the news stand. Recently we came across back issues from 2-3 years ago. If anyone sees back issues at local flea markets, used mag shops, etc, check them out. The earlier issues are much better than the newer ones. They contain more anectodal stories from "real people" as opposed to professional writers. Also the photos date back farther. The newer issues contain more 60s pics where the earlier issues had 20s-30s pics in them as well. You don't see that as much in the current issues.
This stands to reason, as the readers who contribute the oldest photos and memories are dying off. :( I've collected a few issues from the magazine exchange rack at my branch library.
Ashley

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
This stands to reason, as the readers who contribute the oldest photos and memories are dying off. :( I've collected a few issues from the magazine exchange rack at my branch library.
Ashley

I've had my best luck finding them at senior center thrift stores.

Richard
PS: The greatest clothes are there sometimes too!

Dagwood

Practically Family
There is also a magainze called "Good Old Days." Not glossy like Reminisce (rather, it has only black and white photos and heavier paper), but has more personal stories. Here is the blurb from the website: "Good Old Days® magazine, published monthly, is the magazine that remembers the best of times. Feature stories and photos of the good old days of 1900 through 1949 are all contributed by readers."

Michaelson

One Too Many
Not to steal anyone's 'thunder', but I posted about Reminisce Magazine a couple years ago here, right after this site opened. ;)

I've been a subscriber since they first began publication, and HIGHLY recommend not only the main magazine, but the 'Extra' that comes out on the odd months the regular magazine does not publish.

Regards! Michaelson

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
How ironic! I just was at the doctor's office today and saw this magazine. I logged on to do a search of the Lounge for it. I didn't need to do a search because someone had posted to it today!

I swiped the subscription info and it seems pretty reasonable to subscribe.

cowboy76

Suspended
Aw heck,...our subscription didnt run out,...my father always gets this as a Christmas present for me,....yep another year's worth comin right up!!

Yeah I've been reading and buying Reminisce for years! I also pick up Reminisce Extra, which is printed up every other month to make sure you always have something to read every month! You just cant beat this magazine,...I'm surprised that there arent more loungers that actually subscribe to it??

Starius

Practically Family
I discovered that magazine in waiting rooms at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I practically lived there for a couple months last year and I always enjoyed flipping through it while mom was getting treatments or whatever.

Whenever we go back for mom's checkups now, I always try to see how many Reminisce magazines I can spot in the waiting rooms. I also become obsessed with looking at people's shoes there.... that sounds obsessive compulsive doesn't it? Well, I'm not. Its weird the qwirks we develop...

Anyways, great magazine. Wish I could find it locally.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I knew a few of you would have heard of this gem!
I am also happy to see some references for the "Extra"
along with other magazines. I am planning on subscribing.
It is a great reader & gives me great enjoyment!

Thx everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24