Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My Fed IV was beyond mutchering to get it somewhat back into the shape it resembled when I got it. It seemed to be the crown had shrunk a touch, and the pinch had been moved up and down to the point that the humps were bumpy. Bumpy humps.

So I soaked the hat a coupla days ago and stretched it over my block, removing the liner first, and pulling the sweat down off the block.

The differences are subtle but I'm very happy with the new bash, and it was easy to do because I wasnt fighting with what the hat wanted to do pre-reblock.

Here it is:

0907001240a.jpg

0907001241.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Dark brown or tawny fawn? Looks good! My own Fed IV shrank a bit too, off the top, and the front pinch has a tendency to be very "loose," and isn't nearly as stiff as it held when I first creased it. It's far from a piece of garbage, though. :D

I like this hat, and I want to use it for years to come, to see just how far worn out a hat can become. This will eventually assume the role as an Indy-style outdoors/beater hat. I've used it countless times for the purposes a "beater" might be used (hiking, yardwork, etc), as it is, though. But I've also gone to church wearing it, and family parties.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Well, it must be fall. I broke out my Aero (customized dark brown Fed IV Deluxe) today. I’ve missed it. I think it has missed me, too, as it seems to have returned to a regular round oval in my absence.

-Dave

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
J B said:
Dark brown or tawny fawn? Looks good! My own Fed IV shrank a bit too, off the top, and the front pinch has a tendency to be very "loose," and isn't nearly as stiff as it held when I first creased it. It's far from a piece of garbage, though. :D

I like this hat, and I want to use it for years to come, to see just how far worn out a hat can become. This will eventually assume the role as an Indy-style outdoors/beater hat. I've used it countless times for the purposes a "beater" might be used (hiking, yardwork, etc), as it is, though. But I've also gone to church wearing it, and family parties.

This is my original Fed IV - a dark brown regular. It's a bit floppier than my relatively new tawny fawn regular. I think, with occasional reblocks, that these hats can look good for a long time. Fortunately for me, I do them myself.

babs

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
My Fed IV was beyond mutchering to get it somewhat back into the shape it resembled when I got it. It seemed to be the crown had shrunk a touch, and the pinch had been moved up and down to the point that the humps were bumpy. Bumpy humps.

So I soaked the hat a coupla days ago and stretched it over my block, removing the liner first, and pulling the sweat down off the block.

The differences are subtle but I'm very happy with the new bash, and it was easy to do because I wasnt fighting with what the hat wanted to do pre-reblock.

Here it is:

0907001240a.jpg

0907001241.jpg

Nicely done Indy! Looks sharp. Granted there's the Indy connotation but I think that particular bash is really slick with this hat.

I wasn't too successful with my Campdraft but she's way new and really needs a good soaking. I just haven't taken the time yet. It's got a tear-drop in it currently but I'm not positive where she'll end up once it gets some good exposure in the rain, etc.

I get the impression these rabbit Akubras are designed and meant for the "weather". Only one I have so far is the brown CD.. Big hat. The most brim and crown of any of my collection so far.

chum

Familiar Face
David - congrats on the Fed IV, you won't be disappointed :) There are a number tutorials on doing an Indy bash I even did a mini one here

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=812778&postcount=344

There's also this one that's been around for ages,

http://adventure-realm.com/raidersbash.html

The secret is the side dents, long and triangular...

djgo-cat-go a C-crown will pull it down the most, but a diamond will take it down somewhat too, all depends on how low you can go before it hits your head and you have to start doming it. Best advice is it try it out and see what you get - a bit of steam and you can re-bash those Fed IVs all day long :)

Why does top link lead to wrong place?

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Why does top link lead to wrong place?

As explained by Nathan Flowers :

"The thread URLs are now different after the upgrade, and it will take a while for googlebot to reindex our pages. It's actually doing it now, so expect googling things to not work exactly right for the time being. Our in-house search has been vastly improved, though..."

So for now, I Google not the FL.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The mark is both 2D and 3D :eek: .

If one were to flatten out the faint crease left in the hat, one would still percieve a "line" of fur lighter than the fur around it. If one were to leave it alone, a faint edge will form on that line, showing the beginnings of the hat's original pinch.
I have tried brushing it...
I have already come to terms with the fact that this hat is sunk, as far as style. It's still pretty friggin' indestructible, so it will function perfectly as a work hat, but it will never be my go-to around town hat, especially since I took this photo of my in my Squatter, about to hit the town for a good time...

SquatterStylin.jpg

Although the above post is about 4 months old, and I could have addressed it in my post about relocking, I didnt, so . . .

This hat has a tight pinch for over a year. When I soaked it, stretched it over my block, and let it completely dry, all evidence of its pinch were gone. I was then able to reshape it from scratch. Yes, I did it in very similar fashion to what it was before, but it needed a fresh start.

Erasing a previous crease is possible, but you may need a block.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
While looking through this thread again, I realized that I have posted no pictures of the tawny fawn I got a while back, although I did mention it here.

So, here it is after I rebashed it from the way I got it (barely and gently used).

0515000840.jpg

I plan to reblock it since I love the way my brown Fed IV came out on my vintage #52 block.

Bebop

Practically Family
I don't know how you guys do it. You all look like the hats were custom made for your heads. The crown on my Fed. has always been too high for me. I can't seem to get it down to 4-4.25" and have it look right, no matter what I do.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know how you guys do it. You all look like the hats were custom made for your heads. The crown on my Fed. has always been too high for me. I can't seem to get it down to 4-4.25" and have it look right, no matter what I do.

That's why I'm not buying one. High crowns on me except for old Stetson Open Roads don't look good. But more power to those who can wear them well, which appear to be many.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Dan, if you look at posts 654 and 656 youll see that Fed IVs can be creased with different top creases, making the height more workable.

A center dent will make the crown look narrower than a C or a diamond which spreads the sides of the crown out sideways, making the hat even more massive.

So a lower crown, with a center dent could make this hat feasible for you.

Theres an member avatar here that shows him in a low-crowned Fed IV. When I find it, I'll reference it here.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dan, if you look at posts 654 and 656 youll see that Fed IVs can be creased with different top creases, making the height more workable.

A center dent will make the crown look narrower than a C or a diamond which spreads the sides of the crown out sideways, making the hat even more massive.

So a lower crown, with a center dent could make this hat feasible for you.

Theres an member avatar here that shows him in a low-crowned Fed IV. When I find it, I'll reference it here.

I thought they sort of came with a center dent. That's my crease, center dent with pinches. But if the center dent crease looked a little lower than some of the pictures here I've seen, I would consider it, because otherwise it looks like a cool hat. As I say, it looks fine on its wearers, but my makeup probably differs somewhat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner