Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a new binding for my Homburg

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Ok, so I bought this original Mallory "Ten" this past Winter and love it!
HPIM2440.jpg
HPIM2441.jpg

HPIM2437.jpg

Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to wear the darned thing outside, I didn't, 'cause the binding's discolored and being a sucker for detail like I am, I won't 'til I get this problem resolved. Now, I did send it to OPTIMO when I first got it to get a good cleaning and reblock, but when I spoke to a rep from there, he suggested that maybe it should be left alone. As he put it, "There's nothing wrong with it, except it's a little discolored. That's what happens with vintage hats".

HPIM2436.jpg

Long story short, I went with it, but for the past couple months since it's return, I KNOW, it's gotta get done. I think what might have put off OPTIMO from doing it was the way the binding was done in the first place. If you notice from the pic, the binding requires two stitching's, not just one. You'll notice that on the inside of the brim it's stitched half a length up from the outside stitch which tells me it's done from the inside to the outside.

HPIM2438.jpg

I've been entertaining going back to OPTIMO to see if they can do it like it is now, but refrain a little. What do you guys think? I'd also like to know if there's anyone out there who I can contact that can do it. I really need help folks, my Homburg wants to go outside and not look half arsed! Thanks.

HPIM2439.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I doubt that the double stitching is what put Optimo off re-doing it. That's the way that homburg binding is done 3/4 or more of the time.

It looks perfectly fine to me, I don't see really noticeable flaws, certainly nothing to stop you from wearing it.

carldelo

One Too Many
I'd worry that replacing the brim binding might affect the brim shape in a bad way. A little color fading just says vintage to me - I wouldn't risk a misshapen hat for the sake of a new-looking ribbon.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
To be honest, the binding in these pics look a lot better than it does in person. It is quite discolored. And as far as it being replaced, you guys don't think OPTIMO could pull it off? Don't they make Homburgs?

Aerol

A-List Customer
I really don't see any problems, but if it must be done...

Talk to Graham at Optimo. He's the real go-to guy.

And yes, the make homburgs, including the Montecristi homburg in my avatar.

Feraud

Bartender
mannySpaghetti said:
Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to wear the darned thing outside, I didn't, 'cause the binding's discolored and being a sucker for detail like I am, I won't 'til I get this problem resolved.
I think this "problem" is similar to getting that first scratch on a new car.
It hurts like hell but after a week or so you forget about it.
Wear the hat and enjoy it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
I think this "problem" is similar to getting that first scratch on a new car. It hurts like hell but after a week or so you forget about it.
Wear the hat and enjoy it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I hear ya' and that makes sense, but in reference to your analogy this isn't just a scratch, it looks like it's been "keyed". The binding's supposed to be grey, but it's crossing the line of beige, no kiddin'.

I'll try to speak with Graham at OPTIMO. Thanks for the heads up Aerol.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've looked at these photos a few times, and I don't
see what the concern might be. If the "discoloration"
is consistent for the entire binding, I suggest that it
was intended to be a different color. It's not at all
uncommon to find homburgs with binding ribbon that is
different from both the felt and the crown ribbon. It's a
stylish highlight. Some of them are downright purple.
This creme color appears to allow the hat to be worn with a
lighter ensemble. Or if it really goes to beige, it may be intended
to allow you to wear it with browns.

Here is my Mallory Ten homburg of a similar vintage. In a picture
using flash, and in person the brim binding is noticeably lighter than
the rest of the hat:

3403205768_4d40c64891.jpg

Looks to me like you have a classic color scheme of the period and an outstanding
looking hat.

BTW, brim bindings requiring two stitches are not only common to homburgs, as
Dinerman points out, they are not all that rare on fedoras. Check out this binding
on a Caxton- it is sewn, wrapped over itself and around the brim and then sewn again:

2335969805_464f688c77.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy